Aurora Borealis Jewelry

seychelles

Has anyone every heard of Aurora Borealis jewelry? A friend of mine who visited Alaska several years ago said she purchased a ring, but can't remember where. She said this "substance" is mined in Alaska. I believe it is prism-like reflecting all kinds of colors. I'd appreciate any info ... where to buy it, etc.

Aurora borealis jewelry is not mined in Alaska. It is the process of applying a metal coating to a rhinestone, crystal, topaz, or other stone to give it a multi-colored sheen. In my opinion it is marketed to the tourist trade at rather overinflated prices as something that comes from Alaska. The process was actually invented by Swarowski in the fifties.

There's a gem mined in Alberta, Canada called ammolite, which consists of the mineralized shells of cretaceous sea critters. It is iridescent like opal. Very pretty. Personally, I would never buy expensive jewelry on a cruise, especially from the "recommended stores" that the cruise ship pushes, or at least I wouldn't buy it without my sister, who is a certified gemologist, along. If you really like something that you will treasure forever, buy it, but get a certificate as to grade of the stone and a guarantee that the stone is as described or money back.

Actually, $175 isn't bad for a ring if the setting is good and the stone isn't rhinestone or crystal.

Ivory is available. It's walrus tusk and there are many native artists who do beautiful carvings. Stay away from the jade that's offered at a lot of stores. It's mined in Canada and shipped to China for carving and then back to Alaska.

If I were going to drop a couple hundred dollars on a piece of jewelry in Alaska, I would buy a gold nugget pendant or ring, although again, it's hard to find Alaska nuggets at the tourist shops. They buy most of them from wholesalers in the lower 48. For a nice non-jewely memento in that price range, I'd buy an ivory carving, bentwood box, or spruce root basket.

Archived