Travel Guard question

sailaway4

I have been looking at Travel Guard for insurance. For the quote they want only the amount I have paid so far,$600.

My question is,what about the final payment amount? I know depending on when I cancel, the cruise line (Carnival) will refund a portion of the final payment. What happens if I have to cancel after the date Carnival will refund my fare?

Will travel insurance cover that?

Do I have to add the final payment amount after I pay it?

Always bought insurance from Carnival so I never had to think about all this.

Thanks

I don't know what kind of policy you purchased. You can only cancel for a covered reason, not just because you feel like it. If you cancel after the date Carnival will refund you, and it's not for a covered reason under your Travelguard policy, you will collect nothing.

If you cancel your cruise for a covered reason, and you've insured $600, that $600 is all you can collect from TG. If you've added more nonrefundable costs since you purchased your policy, you need to call TG and notify them, so these costs can be added to your coverage.

This can increase your premium of course.

If all you're doing is looking for a quote at this time, just use the full amount of your trip cost to find out what your total cost will be. Travel Guard lets you insure the amounts you've already paid to the cruise line or other travel provider then increase the coverage amount as you add more arrangements. Or you can just insure the full cost now if that's easier (and less chance to forget to bump your coverage up later). Either way, the end cost will be the same.

What happens if I have to cancel after the date Carnival will refund my fare?

Will travel insurance cover that?

If you cancel for a covered reason the insurance will cover your penalties up to the amount you have insured, regardless of when you cancel. If you cancel before Carnival imposes any penalties you get 100% of your money back from them and 0% from the insurer. If you cancel when the cruise line has a 50% penalty you'd get the other half of your money back from them and file a claim for the forfeited 50% from the insurer (not to exceed the amount you insured). And so on.

Be very careful in figuring the trip cost you should insure with Travel Guard. If you don't insure 100% of your non-refundable trip cost you won't be eligible for any coverage for pre-existing medical conditions. If there's any doubt about what arrangements to insure or not call Travel Guard and find out.

Thanks

Now that I know I can add more insurance later when I make final payment,I will just insure deposit.

We will be driving so really all I need covered is the price of the cruise and I would only cancel due to sickness or something serious.

Archived