New Caledonia-getting by only speaking English?

serval_girl

Hi all. I have a cruise on hold, Radiance, 7 stops on islands in New Caledonia and Vanuatu. From what I have read, New Caledonia's main language is French. Me, I don't really care-my non-English language skills are awful despite having lived in East Africa and traveled abroad to a number of places-but I just write down key phrases to learn and use as cheat sheets and just roll with it. Problem is my mother, late 60's, is less comfortable in situations where she cannot communicate as effectively as she would like. I am assuming that these islands will be like any other tourist based place-if you do an excursion someone will speak English, if you go to the market you had better at least know French (but still expect some to not speak it-or at least pretend not to). So. Are my mothers fears justified or can I assure her that she will be fine? We would be snorkeling, sitting on beach, for most stops though 1 or 2 will be me diving. She will not believe me but she will believe CC!

It depends what you want to do in port. The stallholders in the market speak either adequate or good English. Don't expect English from the bus drivers or some taxi drivers, but if you plan on using either of these modes of transport, just have a map and show them where you want to go. With the bus, if you have a handful of change the driver will take the correct amount. With taxi drivers, when we have had a non-English-speaker, the trip seems to end up in a lot of laughter from both sides as we try to communicate.

In Noumea I suggest you consider a tour that you can book in the cruise terminal. They also operate trips to Duck Island where you can snorkel.

Shops like the duty free, supermarket over the road from the cruise terminal, or jewellery shops have someone who speaks English.

Bottom line - your Mother's fears and groundless and you do not need to speak French. If you do speak it, naturally the locals will be chuffed. Have a great cruise. :)

Added to that, the tourist based places will have prices and signage and goods are easily accessible/touchable so you shouldn't have any issue communicating. It's only if you wanted to do purely local activities that you may need to exercise your language/communication skills.

I took my mother on a weeks land based holiday to the Big Island New Caledonia when she was in her late sixties. The language issue did not bother her - she was quite happy to let me do the talking when French was required in the smaller villages. However I found it better to stick to using Pacific Francs instead of trying to pay in AUD even when it was acceptable. The arithmetic was much clearer and she was more comfortable with this when she was paying for her own purchases. The first reply you got is correct about the non existent language barrier. I try to remember the plesantries in French for politeness and to remember to add Madame or Msieur to my thank yous.

Enjoy!

Colleen

Archived