Car Rental in FLL

wendymac

Last year we rented from Alamo at the Airport and found that there was not a good selection of vehicles available like you see in Orlando airport - Can anyone tell me which car rental company would have the largest selection of rentals cars? Thanks for your help! (We are renting post cruise for a week and last year we only had a choice of two cars to choose from)

We're in the wrong forum here, first, so maybe the moderator can move this to the Florida board.

Anyway, I never had a problem with a selection of cars at FLL from Alamo. But I've never been to Orlando, which is said to be the largest car rental market in the world, so maybe I've missed out. Maybe it depends on the size you are after. I rent mid size SUV's or minivans and always find a long line of them there for me to grab and go. Hertz probably has a good selection as well.

You can also rent from several companies that have locations near the port, rather than the airport. Dollar and Thrifty are right outside the port gates in Miami Rd at SE 24th St. Hertz is also in the Crowne Plaza across the road from Thrifty. Enterprise is just down the block from the Crowne Plaza. Budget is on 17th St beside the Renaissance, and Avis is over in the Hyatt Pier 66 hotel.

I tend to only rent from Avis and Hertz so I just take the car I get, unless it happens to be one that I find very uncomfortable..I have never had a problem just asking for it to be switched out....

and as Dan said..it may just be the time of year you're renting...there have been times I reserved a compact or mid size and once, i got a mustang convertible and the other a fancy schmancy Volvo convertible...(probably the only time in my life i will ever drive a $50,000 car:eek::D)

I tend to just pick whomever has the best rates...I think that Alamo and National let you choose whatever car you want, within the class you rented or something?? :confused:

I think that Alamo and National let you choose whatever car you want, within the class you rented or something?? :confused:

Not sure how National works, as I see their commercials and they lead me to think you can book a compact and take an SUV. There must be something in the small print. But I know with Alamo at FLL, I just go to the area where the class of vehicle I booked are parked, pick one and go. No checkin counter first. Just grab the car, stop at the gate for the attendant to swipe the car code and my credit card, and off we go.

Last year we rented from Alamo at the Airport and found that there was not a good selection of vehicles available like you see in Orlando airport...

Could have been what was available at the time. I worked in a rental car agency for five years and often, cutomers were late in bringing their cars back. This resulted in a smaller selection for arriving customers. There are many factors involved, but not necessarily that they have a smaller fleet of cars available.

Thank you all for your info - I guess maybe we were too early picking up the car in the morning - I usually go for the best price as well and Alamo was it in May... thanks again :) And I will look into the other locations closer to the port thanks Dan

Archived