Are lens prices cheaper in port?

mebetj15

In the pre-internet days, the USVI shops were almost universally better for those who didn't have access to the big New York stores. These days, the prices are seldom better and if so, not enough (for me, at least) to offset the trouble involved in returning or exchanging an item if there is a problem. Adorama, B&H, Amazon and others make it easy to find good equipment at reasonable prices.

On an inexpensive lens like the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED IF AF-S DX VR, port shops would save you a few dollars at best and may or may not include a warranty that can be used in the US. Best Buy or the places I mentioned will give you a good price and easy access.

My 2¢...

Dave

I have only bought one camera item in St. Maarten, and I didn't think the price was that much different than in the US. Others have received better deals on things, so I suppose it is what and where you buy.

Adorama has them for $146 - for the VR version.

Given the price point, at best you are only going to save a few dollars. Why wait until your cruise is half over before being able to use the lens. I would buy it before the cruise so I could use that lens for the entire trip.

Also the October flooding in Thailand has affected Nikon's production of their consumer grade cameras and lenses somewhat. I don't know how this has affected supply, but there may be an elevated risk that a particular lens may not be in stock at a particular location. Nikon is supposed to be back into full production by March 2012 at the latest, but there may also a short-term risk you may not be aware of.

There are two versions of this lens, older one without VR and a newer one with VR. Make sure to get the VR one. It is a great small, inexpensive zoom for the D3100!

For my cruise in Jan, I am looking at getting a 50-200mm zoom for my Nikon D3100 and Best Buy has them on sale for $150. Are there better prices in St. Martin or St. Thomas? Thanks in advance - T. J.

Canon prices are about the same, but I still love shopping at the Boolchands in St. Maarten. I bought my Canon DSLR there before the same model could be found in the states. I got a bunch of freebies along with the purchase as well, like large memory cards, a camera bag, a small tripod, and a few other supplies. The salesman set up the camera, gave me lessons on the features, and took lots of time letting me comparison shop the different brands. I really trusted and liked the saleperson. The biggest concern that I had was that the warranty card was for Canon Latin America, but when I looked them up, I saw there offices were in Miami. Luckily, the camera and extra lens I purchased have worked flawlessly, so no need for warranty repairs.

Last year, I bought a new waterproof camera at the Boolchands in St. Thomas. It got ruined on the third day I owned it when the battery compartment came open in the water. I emailed the store and arranged to ship the camera back for a full refund.

The cost savings is minimal, but you can usually negotiate for free memory, cases, etc to make the purchase worthwhile if your comfort level allows- it's at least worth window shopping!

I don't know if this is just with Nikon, but the item I bought at Boolchands in St. Maarten that I mentioned did come with a "USA and Caribbbean" warranty, serviced by Nikon USA.

I don't know if this is unique to Nikon or not, but I suppose it is prudent to find out before purchasing anything outside of the country what the warranty terms are.

warranty1b.jpg

I don't know if this is just with Nikon, but the item I bought at Boolchands in St. Maarten that I mentioned did come with a "USA and Caribbbean" warranty, serviced by Nikon USA.

I don't know if this is unique to Nikon or not, but I suppose it is prudent to find out before purchasing anything outside of the country what the warranty terms are.

warranty1b.jpg

They did not volunteer that the warranty was Canon Latin America, and I didn't think to ask. They do say the cameras come with factory warranties. I've bought three cameras and one lens, and had excellent results with all but the one that got destroyed in the water. I was reassured when I promptly recieved my money back from the dealer on that purchase.

The first camera, a Sony Cybershot- bought from another electronics store in St. Maarten still operates flawlessly after 4 years and thousands of pictures. My Canon T2i and extra lens are a year and a half old and have been problem free also.

I know Nikon is very particular about their warranty, so you are right- it definitely pays to know what the policy is before purchasing.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I am like a kid in a candy store in certain stores. I rarely shop at home, but can't say the same when I'm in the islands:)

• 10 months later...

Did you check the left focus spot issue :eek: You do know that these days if the camera isn't US that nikon may not even repair even if you pay.

BTW you can now buy refurbished from several major US sellers with 90 day warranty for 2500 dollars.

Several have shown up on fredmirranda as well for similar price range.

i bought two nikon d800's and saved $500. i think i could have got a better deal if i had more time to negotiate.

my wide angle nikon lens was cheaper in st. thomas than at best buy/amazon, plus no taxes. (We don't have any camera stores close, best buy didn't carry the lens). They let me try it out on my body to see if I liked it. I already had an idea of what I wanted, but the guy at the shop knew what he was talking about and was able to help me (unlike at best buy where they know nothing).

Archived