Preemiemd's Long NCL Crown 4/18/Bermuda Review

preemiemd

Preemiemd Thanks so much for the review. As you can see by all the questions and requests we have been starving for just what you supplied. I also would like to see some of the dailies if your hubby can scan them. Thank you so much for taking the time to review your trip. It made everyone feel better about their upcoming plans. We are booked July 4th. Thanks again. Anne

My husband, our almost 13 year-old son and my mother and I were also on the 4/18 cruise to Bermuda. Bermuda was as beautiful as ever and all three generations had a very nice time. I agree with almost everything that preemiemd wrote in her excellent and comprehensive review.

We had a very easy time at the Port of Philadelphia and thought that the parking and shuttle system worked well. We had two side-by-side inside cabins in the middle of the middle of the ship. They were very clean and quite roomy with great storage space. Our cabin steward, Joeffrey, was excellent.

The food was good, not great, but we certainly didn't starve. They had some interesting selections in the main dining room - I especially enjoyed the write-ups on the menu on Presidents' Night. Apparently, the exective chef of NCL worked at the White House for many years and the favorite dishes of several recent past presidents were offered that evening. The "Cooking Light" selections were quite tasty. I agree that the service was a bit spotty in the main dining room at times, but other times it was excellent. We won dinner for two at Le Bistro at the Latitudes party and my husband and I really enjoyed it, especially the chocolate fondue. All four of us had dinner one evening at the Pasta Cafe and would recommend it. Formal night was the most casual formal night I ever seen on a cruise. People were wearing just about everything in the dining room that night.

We all had our own favorite - and different - entertainers. My son loved the comedy/juggling routine of Sharkbait, my husband laughed out loud several times at the comedian, my mother enjoyed the tenor and I enjoyed the production shows by the Jean Ann Ryan dancers.

There were a lot of kids on the cruise since it was school vacation week in several New England states. My son did not really participate in any of the kids' activities - he is a little too old for the 10-12 year old group and a little too young for the teenage group. He had a great time, nonetheless. He adores the Bermuda beaches and tolerated shopping in Hamilton. He played bingo with my mother several times and carefully saved all his raffle tickets (that they gave when one purchased bingo cards). He actually won the free cruise for two at the bingo raffle! We are now trying to decide where to go on our next NCL cruise!

Thanks Phil.

We will be sailing on the Crown to Bermuda Oct 31st. It looks like there's plenty to do on board if you feel like it. It's a small ship but it looks like it has a lot of activities.

Hopefully all will be fine by then.

Fred icon_cool.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2004;10;31;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until NCL Crown 2004

Disney Magic 2000

Golden Princess 2002

Century 7/5/2003

Phil: Thanks for the "Dailies" - we're considering next summer from NYC, and this will be great to review. As they wre printing, the one thing that jumped off the page was the "Martini Club". Can you or someone else fill me in on what that is?

Thanks;

After looking things over, I may have some questions.

Tom

Tom/Connecticut

> the "Martini Club

It's not a bar, that much I know. I didn't try any of the daily martinis, so I don't know what the 'club' was. I assume that the 'Martini Club' is an NCL fixture, so hopefully someone else can clue you in.

Comco: keep in mind that the events can change from cruise to cruise. I read in one of the recent postings that an April Crown Bermuda trip had a Chocolate buffet on Friday. I had to dig out the dailies to see if I had been completely asleep at the wheel while on board... I wasn't. We just didn't have the chocolate buffet!

I realize the schedule can change as we go. I'm just excited because this is my first cruise and I'm happy to get a glimpse of what type of activities are available. Thanks again!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;9;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/9/04 Crown to Bermuda!

frankp01,

Thanks a million for posting those dailies. I got tied up at the hospital last week (luckily as a doctor not as a patient) and never got organized enough to do it myself. I'm sure many future cruisers will enjoy them.

tomct,

The "Martini club" was basically a different special Martini (using liquors not found in your basic gin or vodka martini such as Godiva, Baileys, Frangelico etc)featured at the Crown club each night. I had had the "Chocolate Kiss" one night and it was great. The down side was the price (over $8 I think) but it was served in a large 10 oz glass. There was also "Happy Hour" in Top of the Crown each night where basic small martinis, manhattans and highballs were $3.75. Have a great cruise

Laodell:

I saw your post on another Crown thread regarding electrical outlets on board. There's one standard 110 volt outlet on the desk and one 110 volt outlet in the bathroom (the one in the bathroom only allows shavers and other very small appliances.) There are also a 220 volt, round prong (i.e., standard continental Europe-type) plug in both the cabin and the bathroom. We travelled with a coffee maker that runs on both 110 and 220. I preferred to use the 220 volt outlet, just because the coffee would brew in about 1/2 the time!

If you want to be able to plug in something in one of the public spaces (for example, I was working on board and traveled with my laptop and often plugged in when I was in a lounge or at the internet cafe), and the thing you're powering can run on 220, then I suggest you carry one of the small US-to-Continental Europe adapters.

If you're only concerned about powering things in your cabin, you have a few choices: if one can run on 220, use an adapter for that item and use the 110 outlet for anything else. I carried a short extension cord, and everything plugged into it could run on 220 so I just put the adapter on the extension cord and used the 220-volt outlet.

Just be careful not to plug a 110-volt appliance into the 220 line if it can't handle 220!

Phil

Phil,

Thanks so much for the information on the outlets. I think we may just take a power strip for the 110. Really, a razor, curling iron and blow dryer is all we'll need to plug in.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until Bermuda on Norwegian Crown

Sunward II 1991

Westward 1993

Norway 1996

Imagination 1998

Norway 2002

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

preemiemd:

Thanks again for the info and dailies. I was hoping they had a martini clinic on the Crown. I've been to them before, but passed up both of them on the Dawn. Once for the Chocolate Buffet, and once for a coffee appintment with a staff VIP. It's tough having to make big decisions on a cruise!!

Tom/Connecticut

Archived