Cunard crossings

refman

when is best cruising time for trans-atlantic cruise with cunard? preferably london to new york. also any hotel recommendations in london as well.thanks in advance.

(1) A Transatlantic is not a "cruise;" it's a crossing.:)

(2) We've enjoyed all amenities and activities in all seasons. (Paddle tennis in Force 7 conditions is a highlight.):):)

(3) We prefer westbound, because of the longer days.

(4) As for hotels, how many are in your party and how long do you wish to stay in London? We've done a wonderful holiday in London for five adults by renting a house instead of multiple hotel rooms. It can be MUCH less expensive. We bacame part of "our" neighbourhood for a week. We were recognized at local pubs. We entertained British friends in our "home," and we had a private driver pick us up at Heathrow and deliver us to the dock in Soton, to boot.

Questions? Feel free to contact me at jwb.esq@comcast.net

Whatever accomodations you chose, a QM2 crossing is a very special experience.

Best regards,

JWB

Please feel free to email me. I invested a lot of effort in researching London accomodations, and I ended up with a fiance for my #1 son. (He proposed during our family '07 WB crossing.) They crossed Eastbound on their honeymoon '10.

I can't promise similar results, but I'd be pleased to share our London accomodation experiences.

I firmly believe that you can reside in London for about the cost of sleeping at a Hampton Inn and dining at a Ruby Tuesday's in the US.

JWB

The Cunard crossing from Southampton is fast becoming a popular alternative to flying home. Four couples that we are aware of will be doing so in May. Considering it is not being seen as a cruise, is there more casual dining available where dress code is not strictly adhered to?

The Cunard crossing from Southampton is fast becoming a popular alternative to flying home. Four couples that we are aware of will be doing so in May. Considering it is not being seen as a cruise, is there more casual dining available where dress code is not strictly adhered to?

Try www.Cunard.com and look on their faqs

As another commentor posted, the North Atlantic can be enourmously finicky. That being said, we completed a EBTA (east-bound, transatlantic) crossing in late November and the weather was perfect- 60+ degrees and sunny every day with a 14-foot swell. In other words- amazing. I caught Captain Oprey in the elevator and inquired about the crossing. He and the ship's navigator caught a east-bound hi-pressure ridge traveling at about 20 knots (the ships speed was about 22). He simply ran the rhumb line about 100 miles behind the front and we had blessedly pleasant weather. Captain Oprey even admitted that he was as surprised as anyone (snap gales can and do occur that time of year). The ship's cruise director also told me that August-September crossings can be tricky as hurricanes can and do come up the east coast of the United States and play havoc with the sea. We took a QE2 EBTA crossing years ago in early September and encountered just such seas. Shrug. You get used to it. After all...you're on a OCEAN liner.. :D

Archived