Using baby monitor on board?

B_Mc

I'm wondering if a) they will even work and b) if it is even necessary because I'll probably hear him....what do you think?

My parents have an adjoining cabin to us, so we plan to hang out on their balcony and use their room for going in/out while DS sleeps. He usually sleeps well, a solid 2 hrs minimum for nap and straight through the night, but of course, this could be thrown off by the new environment. My other thought is, my Mommy-ears are very attuned to him, but if we leave Grandma or Grandpa in the room next door will they hear him?

If you have a "connecting" room (with the doorway in between) you probably won't need it...keep the door cracked...you'll hear your child! So will the grandparents!

If there is no connecting doorway, and you have a wall between you, then I'd definitelty have a monitor....no way I'd leave a child in a closed room without some sort of connection! Totally different enviroment than in your home...I'm sure you hear your child from ROOMS away at home...on a ship, it's a bit different!

Bring the monitor...can't hurt!

If your only woried about right next door then any normal monitor should work (unless your unlucky and there is someone with the same type or one that could step on your signel) another option is get 4 family talk radios the kind that you can set your own code on each chanel that way you dont have other folks conversations on yours, also would be good to get the more expensive ones that have auto voice so you dont need to press the transmit button to talk then turn that on in the room with the baby and each of the parents can have one, this will let you hear the baby and also contact each other so if your parents want to babysit so you can go to a show or just a nice walk alone you can but they can still get ahold of you. Plus when the kids are older and you can leave them in the room alone you can use the radios to check on them. Its worth the money to get a nice set as you will find many uses for them as your kids grow.

I've used one on many cruises. We usually have cabins next door to each other, so I wouldn't have felt comfortable without having the monitor. Generally, they work fine. We have experienced picking up ship frequencies at times (hearing other voices on monitor) and some static periods (usually when docking,) so handy if have 2 frequencies to shift between. I have a couple of words of caution when having kids in separate rooms... one, make sure they close their door when they come to your cabin and two, make sure there isn't a fire door between your cabin and theirs.

When we cruised on RCCL Freedom of the Seas with my 15 month old, my parents had a room 4-5 doors down. The monitor worked perfectly! We too weren't sure if it would work but we could even hear her breathing. It was great because we could do down and visit them and still feel comfortable that she was sleeping safe & sound.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much for info about your experience with the monitor on FOS. We are cruising on FOS Jan 22nd with a 16 month old. Similar situation- my husbands parents have a room a couple doors down. I was wondering if the monitor would work with all the steel, etc... & now I found my answer! Great! BTW, what type of monitor do you have? I have summer infant video monitor with 2 different frequency channels.

Thanks so much for info about your experience with the monitor on FOS. We are cruising on FOS Jan 22nd with a 16 month old. Similar situation- my husbands parents have a room a couple doors down. I was wondering if the monitor would work with all the steel, etc... & now I found my answer! Great! BTW, what type of monitor do you have? I have summer infant video monitor with 2 different frequency channels.

Think carefully about leaving your child, if the rooms are not connecting, as staff do have access to the room all the time and will come in to service the room, replace water/ice etc., They do knock, but if no reply you may find them coming in on your child.

Also if your 16 month old can move around, it would be very easy to climb out of the crib, there isn't much room in the cabins and we found that our dd would be able to grab the bedside cabinet on one cruise and the sofa bed on another, so she could climb out.

Personally, I wouldn't leave a child alone in a cabin, it isn't home and what if you couldn't get back in an emergency? Can your parents request a second crib, so you can leave in there and then move when you are back?

Kate

Archived