Cruising without your spouse

travelingtriumphess

I've gone on two cruises with my mom without DH and 2 with DH. Hubby has mixed opinions on cruising and he's all about the ports. "What would we do in that port?" . But I do think he'd be game to go on more if we didn't have the logistical issues involved with kids (2-legged and 4-legged!)

He goes on all kinds of fishing and hunting trips without me and even went to Africa by himself. In some ways it would have been great to go to Africa with him, but the cost in money and headaches just wasn't worth it. So I don't feel bad going on trips with my mom without him and he really wouldn't want to go anyways.

I'm not sure what he would think of me going truly by myself. I've never really considered the possibility but it's an interesting idea. I'd like to go on more cruises, but I don't have a travel buddy.

I've gone on two cruises with my mom without DH and 2 with DH. Hubby has mixed opinions on cruising and he's all about the ports. "What would we do in that port?" . But I do think he'd be game to go on more if we didn't have the logistical issues involved with kids (2-legged and 4-legged!)

He goes on all kinds of fishing and hunting trips without me and even went to Africa by himself. In some ways it would have been great to go to Africa with him, but the cost in money and headaches just wasn't worth it. So I don't feel bad going on trips with my mom without him and he really wouldn't want to go anyways.

I'm not sure what he would think of me going truly by myself. I've never really considered the possibility but it's an interesting idea. I'd like to go on more cruises, but I don't have a travel buddy.

Are you looking for volunteers? :D

I'll be sailing solo, without my DH or anyone else, on May 10th and am soooo looking forward to it! This will be my 2nd solo "cruise" and my 3rd solo "vacation" overall. Last year I went to Cozumel alone. A little background: First: my DH has MS and at times can't travel well, so when we do vacations together, we have to be careful in what we do and where we go. Also, since I am his "caretaker," I spend most of my time on vacation surrounded by doing, well, everything, so I don't get much relaxation time for myself. Which sucks, as at home I also do just about everything as well. Second: DH doesn't like cruises as he gets bored, isn't much of a "water/ocean" person, can't do much in the ports because of his MS, and to top it all off, he gets seasick very easily.

So, with all of that in mind, with a solid and trustworthy marriage of 12 years, he gives me his blessing to vacation solo. In all honesty, I think that he enjoys his alone/quiet time also. I only travel like this when his MS is in a good state of remission and he's able to care for himself w/o any problems. I pay for my vacations out of my own funds so the money doesn't affect the bills or marriage funds. We both insist on honest and open communication on where I'm going and what I plan to do. DH also works for the Dept. of Defense, so he's especially concerned about where I go and the safety of a woman traveling alone. I give him my complete itinery so he can research everything and give his blessing, so to speak.

I'm 49 yrs. old, professionally employed, rather on the shy side, and I'm not into partying, the bar scene, or drinking overly much. Also, I've never been hit on by another traveler or employee....perhaps I give off a "don't mess with me vibe" or maybe it's because I pretty much keep to myself. Either way, that has never been an issue. And finally, I'm ALWAYS aware of my surroundings, am hypersensitive to who is around me and in my personal space, and the safety of myself and my belongings (passport, money, keys, etc.) are paramount, so I don't put myself in vulnerable situations (hand-held purse, drinking too much, dark alleys in port, etc.).

Overall, I think when a woman is traveling solo, she has to do her research on where she's going and the safety issues. She also needs to be mature, independent, and able to care for herself. And finally, she needs to be open to various experiences and exploration on her own.

The rewards of traveling solo are amazing...for either sex. I LOVE being able to do what I want, when I want, and how I want to do it. I'm responsible for only myself and if I don't have a good time or what I choose to do or not do solely relies on me and no one else. In the same sense, if something goes wrong or I don't like something, I'm also soley responsible for taking care of the situation and can't rely on hubby or another traving companion to help me out. Personally, there aren't many downsides. I have always been more of a "loner" so being alone doesn't bother me in the least. I love reading, have lots of hobbies, enjoy meditation, and enjoy people watching, so there's always something for me to do. The only time I feel "lonely" is when I see something that I'd love to share immediately with DH and he's not there...that makes me kind of sad, but I just take lots of pictures and/or video, knowing that I'll be able to share it with him when I return home, which is something he says he enjoys.

So, all-in-all, solo travel is amazing for the right person in the right frame of mine. If anyone has any additional questions, please feel free to message me.

Happy Trails!

Maggie