Is there enough daylight to make it worth a trip to St. John?

Palomino

We leave next weekend and I thought I had everything figured out until this morning!

Seven of us will arrive on the Carnival Dream in St. Thomas and had planned to do St. John on our own as is well described on this board.

Here is my dilemna. Our ship arrives at 10:00 am to St. Thomas, but that will be 11:00 am island time. I am hoping that we can make the noon ferry from Red Hook, but it has been pointed out to me (on the Carnival board) that we probably wouldn't make it on time. That would mean the 1:00 pm ferry. Sunset is at 5:40 pm.

Will that give us enough daylight hours to enjoy St. John? Our ship leaves at 8:00 pm (9:00 pm island time), so now that I think about it, I suppose we would need to be leaving the beach at about sunset anyway.

I wonder what the chances of making the noon ferry to get that extra hour would be?

I welcome your thoughts about my dilemna. I was really excited to visit St. John, and I have our snorkeling gear ready to go!

We leave next weekend and I thought I had everything figured out until this morning!

Seven of us will arrive on the Carnival Dream in St. Thomas and had planned to do St. John on our own as is well described on this board.

Here is my dilemna. Our ship arrives at 10:00 am to St. Thomas, but that will be 11:00 am island time. I am hoping that we can make the noon ferry from Red Hook, but it has been pointed out to me (on the Carnival board) that we probably wouldn't make it on time. That would mean the 1:00 pm ferry. Sunset is at 5:40 pm.

Will that give us enough daylight hours to enjoy St. John? Our ship leaves at 8:00 pm (9:00 pm island time), so now that I think about it, I suppose we would need to be leaving the beach at about sunset anyway.

I wonder what the chances of making the noon ferry to get that extra hour would be?

I welcome your thoughts about my dilemna. I was really excited to visit St. John, and I have our snorkeling gear ready to go!

Following you from the CCL board. If your goal is to go to Trunk Bay and snorkel, and then wander around town (Cruz Bay) before heading back you will be fine, even on the later ferry. If you want to explore a lot of St. John and go to multiple beaches that is a different matter. Cruz Bay is a pretty neat place around dinner time. Lots of nice places to eat and grab a beverage.

We did this 2 years back & just wanted to add my 2 cents. My husband, 2 girls & myself spend over $200 in transportation from ship to taxi to ferry to open-air taxi to St. John (Trunk Bay). I have to admit it was the most beautiful beach we'd ever been to, but the transportation cost is keeping us from doing it again in 2 weeks when there will be 6 of us. Wish there was an easier way to get there.

Just wanted you to consider this before you go.

Archived