Take care in Antigua!!!

vizzog

Have just returned from a cruise on Azura and am just posting a little warning regarding a bad experiance in Antigua.

Unfortunately for us the weather on arrival in Antigua last Sunday (4th Dec) was raining, we had pre booked an excursion on a catamaran for the family as I was celebrating my 50th! However due to the weather this and a number of other excursions were cancelled, not wanting to spend the day onboard decided to take a local taxi on an island tour across to Shirley Heights and Nelsons dock yard.

We left the ship and negotiated a price ($20usd plus $8usd national park entrance fee) with a local taxi dispatcher and were directed to a taxi.

We drove across the island to Nelsons dock yard where the taxi parked and the driver showed us where to buy our tickets. We had taken our beach gear hoping if the weather improved we may stop at a beach before returning so we asked if our belongings would be safe locked in his mini bus. This was he said no problem he would be close by and the van would be locked.

On returing to the taxi we then drove on to Shirley Heights my youngest son then realised his mobile phone was missing, an iphone. Yes silly to have left it but actually he thought it was in his camera bag which he was carrying all the time. He definately had it in the taxi as he sent a text on our way across the island. As soon as we stopped he checked the floor,seats etc and asked the driver to look too! No phone was found I then tried to phone his number on my mobile hoping it may ring (if it was in the taxi!) but already the number was unavailable.

I know we all post on this and other forums that it is quite safe to use local taxi's and trust them with belongings and to return and collect you from your desinations but please maybe sometimes we are a little too trusting and we should be a more wary?

Well this is not about being trusting as you did not leave the iPhone there on purpose... However equally perhaps the phone was lost elsewhere... You said he thought it was in the bag with him, and perhaps it was for a while. Could be the taxi driver had nothing to do with it.

Either way be thankful for insurance.

Something like this can occur anywhere, including the UK, so I don't think it's particular to Antigua.

Did you ever try the free lost iPhone tracking?

Well this is not about being trusting as you did not leave the iPhone there on purpose... However equally perhaps the phone was lost elsewhere... You said he thought it was in the bag with him, and perhaps it was for a while. Could be the taxi driver had nothing to do with it.

Either way be thankful for insurance.

Something like this can occur anywhere, including the UK, so I don't think it's particular to Antigua.

Did you ever try the free lost iPhone tracking?

Could the phone have been dropped from the camera bag as your son got out of the van? Mind you my daughter had her Iphone for one week before she lost it, she swore it was in her handbag. God thank for insurance!

Sorry for your experience, we do tend to be a bit blase on holiday sometimes.

It's one thing leaving swimming kit in a taxi with a driver you've only just met, but really anything of monetary or sentimental value is best taken with you (though I take your point that your son thought he had).

Did you report the loss to the taxi dispatcher for their information?

Another of life's lessons learned!

Carol x

Still....... could have been worse......you could have got stabbed, or shot like those other poor tourists !!! Yes be careful in Antigua, looks beautiful, but they'll stab you as soon as look at you there !!!!!

Stitch.....(not bothering to get off next time to support the local economy) x

• 2 weeks later...

Archived