price match question/issue

jbfestus

so we booked our cruise (jan 26 sailing) in Oct, therefore getting early saver. Today I noticed that on the carnival website that a balcony was cheaper than what we paid. I went through the pricing process to see that it is about $100 cheaper via the website than what we paid in Oct.

I called carnival. First she told me there were no balconies left to book, but I told her the website was going to allow me to book a balcony. Then they said that this did not qualify for the price match because we booked it as the early saver, and the early saver pricing is not available since we are so close to the sailing.

I thought by booking the early saver we could ask for a price match if balconies were found cheaper via the website or phone.

I didn't her story and filled out the form for a price match on the website anyway.

Thoughts?

The reps are instructed not to do price matches, you have to submit them. My PVP has told me she really is not supposed to do them.

I would follow the format and just submit it like you did citing the date and time and what type of rate you saw, i.e. past guest, senior, state of nowhere, whatever rate you are price matching to.

If they come back and say it is a gty for instance, not your category, sometimes they will allow you to give up your balcony and move to the gty, even though the rules say you cant price match downward.

You dont say what category you now are, or what category you are looking at, is it the same?

I am not sure what class we have, just remember balcony. I was looking at a balcony class, but it was where carnival doesnt tell you room assignment until you get on the boat. could that have been the issue?

That could be the issue, althoug as fire said, we've seen many instances here on the boards where folks have successfully gotten the GTY rate. But, you would have to give up your assigned room and risk one in a crummy location.

If the lower price is for the balconies where Carnival assigns it for you then fiill out the early saver form and put in the notes that you're okay with forefitting your room assignment. Keep in mind, some ships have obstructed balconies on them and when you book the GTY to get the lower price there is a chance you'll get one of those obstructed ones.

If you booked a GTY than you most likely didn't book Early Saver. There are other issues such as Pack and Go Specials. Just booking early isn't the same thing as Early Saver.

They said they booked early saver and it sounds like they did. Others mentioned GTY since that is what they are trying to price match to.

sorry but what is GTY? and yes we did book early saver because we booked one day before the deadline.

GTY is a "Guarantee" cabin. It's usually the lowest cat of the class of room you booked (i.e.-balcony, inside, etc...) It means Carnival will pick the room for you. Sometimes you don't know the room number til the day you check-in. Sometimes you end up with a great location, othertimes, not so much.

sorry but what is GTY? and yes we did book early saver because we booked one day before the deadline.

GTY- guaranteed a cabin on the ship.

If that is the price you are looking at you gotta give up the cabin you are in and take the roll of the dice

SOmeone posted recently that they did give up their cabin but got another that was 4 doors away- so not bad

Go to cruisedeckplans.com and pull up the deck plans and place your mouse on your cabin.. find out what you booked.

You had to have selected your cabin to book ES. (or someone selected one for you at the time if you didnt have a strong perferance).

Before you can price match, you would need to know what category you booked.

The ES rules say you cannot price match downward .. which used to be enforced, but so many were trying to price match to gtys, Carnival caved and now will sometimes allow you to give up your cabin and let them select it.. remember if you do this, you could wind up under a lounge with music playing until 2 am.

we are sailing the ecstasy and only a few number of balcony rooms on that boat

If you booked ES they would have assigned you a cabin at that time. You have to price match. 6B to 6B for example. The Balcony price for 1/26 on the Ecstasy that's listed now is for a GTY and is not price matched for ES. Unless you're looking at a Residence or some other rate.

Archived