Sugar Bay Resort to Ship docks

jacksoncruisers

We are taking a Catamaran from the Wyndham Sugar Bay Resort to St John and return at 4:00 pm Our ship leaves at 5:00 and I'm a little concerned about making it back on time. Tour company said it's only a 20 min. Taxi trip but I know how the traffic can get in St Thomas. I appreciate any help. Thanks

That's 20 minutes is probably time on the road. I don't think the taxi can come to the catamaran pier, and there's no guarantee the ship will make it back at exactly 4. I like to allow myself some wiggle room when taking cruise excursions.

Wow......why put that kind of stress on your vacation? There are to many things that can go wrong...especially traffic in St. Thomas. Usually St. Thomas has anywhere from 3-7 cruise ships in port.....

If this is not an excursion through your ship.....change it. It's not worth missing your ship.

Sounds tight to me!

You might also find that either there are others ahead of you waiting for taxi's or that the taxi is waiting for more passengers or has stops before yours. All taxis in St. Thomas are shared cabs and they charge rates that are per person. It is usual and customary there for them to make multiple stops along the way.

There are many wonderful day sail opportunities in St. Thomas. I'd pick one that gets you back to the pier by 4PM, and not the other side of the island. We always leave a little slack in the schedule unless it is a ship's tour and they are responsible for getting us back or waiting for us.

Hi,

My husband and I went on the Daydreamer catamaran at Sugar Bay Resort for their Sunday Brunch cruise, which was 11:00-3:00. We had a wonderful time and this time frame gave us plenty of time to get back to the ship on time for a 5:00 sailaway.

I think that the afternoon half day sail or all day sail that ends at 4:00 is cutting it way too close for getting back to the ship on time. I'm assuming that you have to be on board by 4:30 for a 5:00 sail away.

We took an open air taxi from Havensight cruise dock to Sugar Bay Resort. After the catamaran ride we went to the front desk at the resort to arrange for a taxi ride back to the ship. Fortunately, there was a van taxi available right away and we were the only passengers so we didn't have to drop people off along the way back to the ship.

There are several reasons that I think that you are cutting it way too close for comfort. The day that we went, the catamaran was docked in the water off the beach at the resort and we had to ride in a rubber dinghy to get to the catamaran. I can't remember if we had to ride in a dinghy back to shore after the trip or if the catamaran came right up to the beach. Also, the resort is located on a hill and we had to walk through part of the hotel and down some stairs to get to the beach, so you'd have to add in time to get back to the lobby to get a cab. Depending upon how many ships are in port that day and how much traffic there is, it could take more than 20 minutes for a cab ride back to the ship.

Mary

Archived