Berlin - is it worth 3hrs x 2 in a bus??

Berlin is wonderful, however, IMHO, it isn't worth 3x2 hrs in bus. You will be exhausted and unable to discover Berlin, and even in Berlin you will be in a rush, as 4-5 hours there wouln't be enough.

So in order not to spoil your impressions about Berlin, I'd recommend other towns, closer to your port, but adorable as well.

You might check the airfare between Berlin to Copenhagen (whichbudget.com) as the major airports on either end are close to the city.

I checked the airfare between Copenhagen and Berlin, it's between $149 and $200. You can leave Copenhagen in the early morning and return late in the evening, and the flight is only an hour each way. No luggage should make customs quicker too. That gives you a good 10 hours in Berlin. Not perfect, but better than 5 hours. Plus, cheaper than the train ride and tour through the ship.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be spending 3 nights in Copenhagen so a day in Berlin is doable before the cruise.

I checked the airfare between Copenhagen and Berlin, it's between $149 and $200. You can leave Copenhagen in the early morning and return late in the evening, and the flight is only an hour each way. No luggage should make customs quicker too. That gives you a good 10 hours in Berlin. Not perfect, but better than 5 hours. Plus, cheaper than the train ride and tour through the ship.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll be spending 3 nights in Copenhagen so a day in Berlin is doable before the cruise.

Once you have entered the European countries participating in the Shengen agreement (in your case Denmark) there are no internal borders between those countries and therefore no customs checks, just normal airport security the same as you find on domestic flights within the US.

Your plan sounds like a great alternative to a long, uncomfortable train ride and a short time in Berlin not to mention the cost. By the way the s-bahn train connection between the airport and city centre in Berlin is excellent.

Happy planning :)

Even better Rostocker, definitely sounds like a much more enjoyable plan to see Berlin, especially since I'll still have a good part of Tuesday to see anything I miss Saturday & Sunday in Copenhagen.

The hop on/hop off bus seems to cover a lot of the main sights listed on the ship's tour of Berlin.

And then I can stop wondering about taking the bus to Berlin during the cruise and focus on enjoying the port town and Rostock with no regrets.

• 2 weeks later...

The people who did the train excursion to Berlin from Warnemunde on our cruise complained a lot because it was very hot weather and the train was not air-conditioned. Just a warning!

We felt it was not worth doing since we live in London and the flight to Berlin is under two hours. However, I can see it is different if you are from America. Then it is probably worth doing in case you never get back.

Archived