Berlin - is it worth 3hrs x 2 in a bus??

I'm struggling to wrap my head around whether or not it's worth sitting on a bus for roughly 6 hours to travel to and from Berlin for 6 hours of touring around the city.

While Berlin sounds very interesting and is definitely worth a visit I just can't get excited about spending half a day in a bus enroute. Perhaps it's best left for a "proper" land based visit rather than doing it as a day trip.

Would be interested to hear others thoughts on this specific issue.

If this may be your only chance to see Berlin AND you're interested in seeing Berlin, then it would be worth it. It's the same choice cruisers have to make to see Cairo from Alexandria, Luxor from Safaga, Paris from LaHavre, or Marrakech from Casablanca - all three hour bus trips x2. If you want to see a city or place bad enough then it's worth it, otherwise save it for a land trip when you can spread your visit out over several days.

Berlin is such an extraordinary city that I'd definitely go. There's so much to see that you'll only scratch the surface and it will still be well worth a more thorough visit at a later date, but even in 6 hours you'll still see unforgettable things and have a memorable time.

Berlin Sights

The Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe

The Berlin Wall

The Reichstag

And who knows if you'll get another chance ? Of course, I hope you do, but one can never be sure :(

Merry Christmas,

Tony

I'm struggling to wrap my head around whether or not it's worth sitting on a bus for roughly 6 hours to travel to and from Berlin for 6 hours of touring around the city.

While Berlin sounds very interesting and is definitely worth a visit I just can't get excited about spending half a day in a bus enroute. Perhaps it's best left for a "proper" land based visit rather than doing it as a day trip.

IMHO - no. But then again, you need to realize that I basically feel that you need to spend 2 - 3 days minimum in any major city to make it worth visiting. We spent about 5 days in Berlin the time we visited and we were there with a native who knew the city and we did not see everything that we wanted to see. To me, 6 hours of rushing around would not be worth it.

DON

I agree with the other post that if you really want to see the city, it is worth it. I spent two days in Berlin and found it to be a fascinating city with a very interesting history. The sites are spread out as it is a fairly large city, but you can probably see the highlights on a tour bus. If you think that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you are not likely to return on a land tour, I recommend the long bus ride.

No, I wouldn't call this a once in a lifetime thing - we travel to Europe about every other year and are considering a river cruise of some sort for our next visit and many of them are reasonably close to Berlin (compared to distances traveled in North America) making it a potential pre or post cruise destination.

No, I wouldn't call this a once in a lifetime thing - we travel to Europe about every other year and are considering a river cruise of some sort for our next visit and many of them are reasonably close to Berlin (compared to distances traveled in North America) making it a potential pre or post cruise destination.

I was a child during the height of the cold war, and still can recall the terror of "duck and cover" under our school desks. A three hour bus ride was a small price to pay for the opportunity to visit the former East Berlin. That and St. Petersburg were the highlights of our Baltic cruise. I would love to spend a few days in Berlin, but if that doesn't ever happen, I'm glad I saw what I did.

We went through the same debate. We ended up booking a tour with SPB tours and it was great. The ride was surprisingly a non event and the guide was great, it was a real world wind tour but we did get to see a lot of the city.

We went through the same debate. We ended up booking a tour with SPB tours and it was great. The ride was surprisingly a non event and the guide was great, it was a real world wind tour but we did get to see a lot of the city.

I agree with Kirk. It was this time last year that I also debated this issue for several months, stating on these boards and to my roll call that I was not looking forward to six hours on a bus and planned to explore Rostock. Spouse and I are very slow sightseers, and I assumed that I would be doing an Eastern Europe land trip in 2012 that would include a few days in Berlin.

But then, probably due to the death of my MIL, plus the encouragement of our son, who looked at the itineraries (having spent several days in Berlin on a land trip), I decided that postponing was not a good idea. So I put together a group of 16 from my roll call and booked a trip with SPB-Tours, perhaps four months after I had booked with them for our two days in St. Petersburg, the deluxe tour with only one other couple. I never before toured with more than eight, but for this type of tour, 16 was fine.

It turned out to be a great decision. The bus ride was very comfortable and relaxing, providing a nice opportunity to get the know in person the people I had corresponded with by email because Warnemunde port actually was our first port after our Copenhagen cruise embarkation the previous evening.

And then our Berlin tour with excellent American guide Heather probably was the best one-day tour I have taken ever. (And I posted about this a lot upon my return last summer on this forum.) It was amazing how much we saw and experienced with this fantastic professional, who told a story about the history of Berlin in such a logical manner matching our stops. And at my request, she pre-arranged a fast lunch, so that the several of us who were interested were able to spend some time at the end of the day in the fabulous Pergamon, one of the few museums where in an hour you indeed can enjoy its greatest treasures. That stop alone was worth the trip.

Also, due to the upcoming weddings of both our children in 2012 (one in early June and one in late September), it turns out we could not visit Berlin in 2012, so I am even more pleased, if possible, with our decision to have this taste of Berlin. With a good guide, and Heather indeed is the best, you can see a lot in six or seven hours.

I agree with Kirk. It was this time last year that I also debated this issue for several months, stating on these boards and to my roll call that I was not looking forward to six hours on a bus and planned to explore Rostock. Spouse and I are very slow sightseers, and I assumed that I would be doing an Eastern Europe land trip in 2012 that would include a few days in Berlin.

But then, probably due to the death of my MIL, plus the encouragement of our son, who looked at the itineraries (having spent several days in Berlin on a land trip), I decided that postponing was not a good idea. So I put together a group of 16 from my roll call and booked a trip with SPB-Tours, perhaps four months after I had booked with them for our two days in St. Petersburg, the deluxe tour with only one other couple. I never before toured with more than eight, but for this type of tour, 16 was fine.

It turned out to be a great decision. The bus ride was very comfortable and relaxing, providing a nice opportunity to get the know in person the people I had corresponded with by email because Warnemunde port actually was our first port after our Copenhagen cruise embarkation the previous evening.

And then our Berlin tour with excellent American guide Heather probably was the best one-day tour I have taken ever. (And I posted about this a lot upon my return last summer on this forum.) It was amazing how much we saw and experienced with this fantastic professional, who told a story about the history of Berlin in such a logical manner matching our stops. And at my request, she pre-arranged a fast lunch, so that the several of us who were interested were able to spend some time at the end of the day in the fabulous Pergamon, one of the few museums where in an hour you indeed can enjoy its greatest treasures. That stop alone was worth the trip.

Also, due to the upcoming weddings of both our children in 2012 (one in early June and one in late September), it turns out we could not visit Berlin in 2012, so I am even more pleased, if possible, with our decision to have this taste of Berlin. With a good guide, and Heather indeed is the best, you can see a lot in six or seven hours.

Another yes vote here, echoing Kirk and Pam that SPB does an excellent job on their one day tours.

It is certainly worth it! Among other places we visited was the Pergommon Museum, which has a complete altar about 100 feet width plus the Ishtar Gate from Babylon.

I enjoyed viewing the altar, the main reason we asked SPB to add an hour for the Pergamon at the end of the day. However, the Ishtar Gate totally blew me away, especially after having seen a few small pieces at various museums over the years, including just a couple of days before at the Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in Copenhagen before we embarked on our cruise.

I would vote no, since the OP states they are often in Europe, thinking of doing a river cruise and the opportunity will be there.

However, this is a very personal choice. I really enjoyed the days we spent in the Warnemunde area just last year. There is also history there, UNESCO sites also not too far, and many other things to see.

To me, as a frequent traveller to Europe, it isn't worth all the bus/train time. Unless you are going on a private tour I would put Berlin off until you can do the city properly.

yes i.m.o.it's worth it.

I, too, would echo previous posters and say it is definitely worth it. We toured with Alla tours and had an hour and a half at the Pergamon. As CintiPam put it, the Ishtar Gate will blow you away.

You will get a great overview of the city and, on your next trip to Berlin, you can spend time exploring the venues in depth that you get just a "taste" of on this trip.

There are so many wonderful things to see and do in Berlin.

jill

My husband and I decided that we would rather spend the time enjoying a leisurely day in Germany rather than waste 6 hours on a bus. I asked myself if there was anything I HAD to see in Berlin and the answer was no, I don't but my sister and BIL disagree, they are taking the trip.

From what I've heard, those who spend the day in Warnemunde and Rostock have had just as good a time and sometimes better. I prefer to spend my money in St. Petersburg. That is what I HAVE to see.

We were also struggling with this for our upcoming day in Germany. We decided not to do it:

We also like to vacation in Europe and spend several days in a city. And we still have plans to see Germany combined with Austria and Switzerland. That combination would be a great land vacation. But would we ever have the chance to see the coast cities again? We answered no.

So it is really a personal choice. If you know you will never go to Europe again, and/or have the opportunity to tour Berlin again, then it would definitely be worth it. But if you have traveled to Europe several times, and know you will go again, then I don't want to waste my day in a bus, I would rather take the train to Rostock or visit Schwerin Castle - I can definitely say I won't be seeing them again.

Berlin is a wonderful city but if it were me, I would not want to spend 6 hours on a bus to see it for a brief interlude. I made a trip there last year and in 4 days, still had not seen all to be seen.

If it is a once in a lifetime visit, OK but if you plan trips to Europe over the years, Berlin is well worth a longer stop.

Cheers

Good point, Rostock would never appear on a list of places to go in the future.

We thoroughly enjoy Germany, Austria and my personal favourite Switzerland so a trip back to Germany is certainly going to happen.

If you know you will never go to Europe again, and/or have the opportunity to tour Berlin again, then it would definitely be worth it. But if you have traveled to Europe several times, and know you will go again, then I don't want to waste my day in a bus, I would rather take the train to Rostock or visit Schwerin Castle - I can definitely say I won't be seeing them again.

Rostock and Warnemuende are both lovely, worthwhile places to visit if you don't wish to make the trip. One thing I noticed in all the replies for yes, was a visit to certain museum exhibits, and of course Check-point Charlie. So, if you really are interested in seeing those things, then it should be yes, if not so interested, then hanging back and relax. It comes down to big-city advantages or small town charm. jmo

Anyone who went on the one-day tour wish they had flown into Berlin before the cruise and then went to the cruise (or did Berlin afterwards), in order to have more time there than on the one-day trip? Did anyone actually opt for this? I noticed posts from those who did the one-day tours and those who opted not to go to Berlin at all. We're looking at the Emerald Princess cruise out of Copenhagen departing May 23, and have considered going to Berlin beforehand (then taking the train to Copenhagen) or going to Berlin after the cruise and flying back from there. I've been to Berlin, back when there was still a West Berlin and East Berlin, but my wife has not. Also considered Prague before or after the cruise but air fare was much higher than if we did Berlin. Looks like a relatively easy train ride between Berlin and Copenhagen.

I noticed posts from those who did the one-day tours and those who opted not to go to Berlin at all.

Looks like a relatively easy train ride between Berlin and Copenhagen.

I think your plan to visit Berlin for a longer period is a good one. You might check the airfare between Berlin to Copenhagen (whichbudget.com) as the major airports on either end are close to the city.

Cheers

Archived