Cabana in Half Moon Cay

alliance11

i rented the private oasis for may 2012 on the ecstacy. we have a large group so it was only $117 per person and all inclusive, well worth $1395 for all of us to enjoy the day.
You will have a great time! If you'd like to see my review including the Oasis (with pictures), it's on the boards at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1474347

• 2 weeks later...
I think this is a "must have" for us! Thanks for the pictures and information. I just hope that if we do book one it doesn't rain all day!

The 1st time we booked one, we had TORRENTIAL rain shortly after we arrived. Let me tell you, I was very happy we had the cabana! Everyone else got soaked. So it's a win win in my book....but I certainly don't wish you rain!;):)

We have used the cabanas each time at HMC (HAL and CCL stops) and it's just the 2 of us. We love it. DH uses a scooter and cannot be in extreme sun/heat (the fans and a/c unit help a lot). Cabana #1 has a paved walkway to it. The personnel then provide a plastic folding gate to block the path to that particular cabana since people will try to walk down the path into the cabana.

On our last cruise, I went swimming for a bit and had to run back since people moved the folding gate thing and just plopped down at the table. DH couldn't get them to move. One of the workers saw the problem and radioed for shore-side personnel to come. What a group of idiots those cruisers were. Then again, that trip was full of a lot of "head shaking moments" :D :eek:

Otherwise, we've never had problems with the cabanas and love them. :)

Well worth the price. We were in #7 perfect spot close to restrooms and the all important bar - of course we also had wait staff coming by in case we wanted to order the coconut drink! No problems with anyone trying to hog in on our fun. The sun is super strong and depending on what stop HMC is, you might already have enough sun and will want the shade. Plus the drinks, fruit, chips, and dips yummy yummy GO FOR IT AND ENJOY!

Has anyone had a problem with squatters or people trying to use any cabana that they didn’t pay for?
Aside from the showers, no problem for us. In our case with the shower, for one gal it was a matter of just not reading the sign. In fairness to her, she may have seen one of my son's friends "visit" us. In the case of another group (a ginormous family), it was a sense of entitlement (we don't want to walk all the way up to the public shower). That was the same group that couldn't be bothered to wait in line for the tender and kept cutting in line.:rolleyes:

I sunburn very easily and get a bit wilty in the heat, so I will always go for a cabana if I stop at HMC. I think we had #9, and was perfect for me and my family. We went a few years ago in July - DH and I took my parents and my sister on a cruise and surprised them with the cabana. They LOVED it. It had places to store all our bags and had AC / fans so it was a nice spot to cool off or sit in the shade. It was not too far a walk from the food, but far enough out that you didn't really have to share the beach. :)

Has anyone had a problem with squatters or people trying to use any cabana that they didn’t pay for?

We did have some squatters that moved in while we were snorkeling, but we were able to shoo them away effectively upon our return. They thought we were squatters who just happened to get there before them. That being said, we loved the cabana experience and it made HMC my favorite port day ever!

We booked a cabana last April and had read about "squatter" problems on another thread. We had #10 and did not have any issues at all with squatters. This is the thread if you are interested in reading it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1351541&highlight=squatters

We are going back in April and I have booked another cabana :D

My advice for anyone that is thinking of booking a cabana...don't wait too long, they sell out fast. All of the cabanas for my sailing are sold out!

• 2 weeks later...

I have read a number of other stings on this but I just want to make sure. We reserved a Cabana from Carnival's site and my understanding is that is for 4 people (right?). Once we are on the ship, we go to the excursion desk and add additional occupants and they are $20 or $30 a person... Does that sound about right? We have 5 to 7 people. Thanks!

port from Carnival Destiny, May 31...

I have read a number of other stings on this but I just want to make sure. We reserved a Cabana from Carnival's site and my understanding is that is for 4 people (right?). Once we are on the ship, we go to the excursion desk and add additional occupants and they are $20 or $30 a person... Does that sound about right? We have 5 to 7 people. Thanks!

port from Carnival Destiny, May 31...

Yes they are for 4 people. I can't remember how much it is for extra people, but to be honest. you don't even have to say anything about them, as long as you are ok with the # of drinks they give you (If I remember, you get 8 drinks...you tell them what kind when you go to pick your cabana at the excursion desk), and if you're ok with snorkel equipment for 4, etc. We had 8 of us (obviously not all in the cabana at the same time) and we just shared what they provided for 4 people, so not like we were cheating anyone. And remember, they have lunch and drinks at the free BBQ, so you really don't need that much;)

• 2 weeks later...

I am sooooo glad I found this thread. It sounds WONDERFUL...went to Carnival.com and booked it...We sail March 12 and there were only two left! I would not have done it without all the wonderful things said here about it!

To the OP: THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!

Booked one last summer on our Liberty cruise, the best decision! Loved it. We had the last one on the end, so peaceful and not many people around. We walked to the BBQ one time, 3-4 minute walk. Most people eat lunch once so don't base your decision on walking distance, the bathroom was about 2 minute walk away. We will defianatly book one again if given the chance.

Cruiselover42 - you are welcome! I was pretty pumped to hear we made a good decision. The last time I checked there was only 1 left for our June 9th cruise!!! Next step... Run to the excursion desk when I get on the ship!!!

Booked mine last week for June 28th; so excited, can't wait!!! Based on everything I've read I'm actually surprised there are still 8 left for my sailing. Anyway glad I was able to get one, now just have to decide on a location & hope for the best.

Archived