Anyone else think Great Stirrup Cay is a little small?

I was on the Dawn 4/18-4/25 and I was very surprised at how small Great Stirrup Cay is. I don't think it's big enough for the 2700 passengers that we had that week.

There were not enough chairs and even if there were, there wasn't any space for them. And they are not lounge chairs, just regular "sitting" chairs. I have some pictures I took. If I can figure out how to post them (or if anyone can help), I'll show you what I mean.

HappyTravels

2004-Norwegian Dawn (April)
Voyager of the Seas (July)
Miami (August)
2003-Aruba
Bahamas
Las Vegas, NV
Carnival Pride (Bermuda)
2002-Voyager of the Seas (Western)
Nordic Empress (Bermuda)
Wildwood, NJ
2001-Grand Princess (Eastern)
Jamaica
Turks & Caicos
2000-Puerto Rico
Carnival Fascination (Southern)
Turks & Caicos
1999-Las Vegas, NV
Cancun, Mexico
Paris, France
Venice, Florence, Rome, Italy
Carnival Fascination (Southern)
1998-Dominican Republic
Los Angelos, CA
Las Vegas, NV
1997-Puerto Rico
St. Maarten
Daytona Beach, FL
1996-Jamaica
Orlando,FL

We've now been there twice, and really enjoyed two great beach days. I don't think it so much the size of the island, as it is that NCL has not expanded the facilities to meet the demands of the Dawn's size. With an expanded beach area, and a few more chairs, I think it would be fine. If the beach area was larger, they could maybe "rent" some cabanas and lounge chairs and even make some money on it.

Their "theory" may be that many will opt to use the ship's facilities part of the day, relieving some demand on the beach, but because of the limitations, I think the reality is that everyone tries to get out there early, and therefore everything gets taken.

We were just discussing the facilities there this morning, we had overheard some passengers talking about othe private islands with much more, including pools and water park like attractions. In our case, my daughter was very pleased with the island, as it was perfect for her and her young kids to play in the shallow water and small beach area, without having to worry about the supervision responsibilities required in a more "upscale" environment. She bought some water toys at the Straw Market, and they had a perfect six hurs of beachtime, before heading back to play in the T-Rex area on the ship.

Tom/Connecticut

Back in 1991 we went to Great Stirrup Cay when it was called Pleasure island. We were on the Sunward II which only had around 900 passengers. The island was paradise. But we went back two more times while sailing on the Norway and found it much more crowded. I think they need to expand the beach area for the ship sizes of today. I do think it's one of the prettiest places. Take the nature walk to the lighthouse. We still enjoy GSC and find it one of the features we like about NCL.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Bermuda on Norwegian Crown

Sunward II 1991
Westward 1993
Norway 1996
Imagination 1998
Norway 2002

<center>
<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]</center>

I have to agree. This wa sprobably my only criticism of the Dawn trip. Those little chairs packed in 3 deep,elbow to elbow and so many people in the water too. Thye need to expand the beach area and it would be lovely.

Archived