Please help me choose between Celebrity and Royal Caribbean

wrg11

I have Celiac Disease and our TA has suggested that we choose between Celbrity and Royal Caribbean. Food is important to me and I want to be able to enjoy this long overdue vacation. I've been reading the boards and I'm leaning toward Celebrity. Any information would be greatly appreciated. We'll be sailing on the Summit to Bermuda out of NJ in July. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

food is better on Celebrity, nightlife is probably better on Royal C. We have sailed on both lines and much prefer Celebrity. We especially dislike the "central Park" type of ship that Royal offers in their 3000+ passenger ships which brings everyone into the same space. If you like crowds, you'll like those ships. We also prefer Celebrity's minimal use of the PA system and the fact that they don't hustle you for drinks when you're sitting around the pool or sitting waiting for shows and everywhere else you go.

If you have dietary restrictions, mention it to the maitre d and they can and will accomodate most any medically necessary diet.

With Celiac, you are much more likely to get the tailored diet that you need on Celebrity. Be sure to have your Travel Agent tell Celebrity before you sail, and then reinforce with the Maitre d' after you board.

I was on a TA last month and one of our CC group had severe gluten intolerance and was successful in getting a gluten free diet. Her only unfulfilled wish was a gluten free beer, which they didn't have. She did suggest that X begin to stock one.

Liz

You can get a special diet on either line. It seems a little bit easier if you choose an assigned early or late dining time rather than open dining ala select/mytimedining...just my perception because with an assigned time and table, your waiter will quickly know you have a special diet, so you will not have to explain repeatedly. that is just my perception from watching others cope...if you really want open dining, I am sure either line will work with you.

I like Celebrity's menus and food quality better. Royal Caribbean often has larger ships with more activities. Unlike some here, I love their huge ships with flow riders and ice rinks and rock walls and have not felt crowded for any significant amount of time (like a few minutes during and after muster drill). when I am in the mood for an active vacation, I am more likely to choose Royal Caribbean's big ships (oasis or freedom classes). when I crave a more sedate, formal vacation with better food, I look to Celebrity.

We have been on both lines but only had special dietary needs (lactose free) on Celebrity. The dining staff is very accomodating but some advance notice is suggested. Before you sail, contact Celebrity and ask for a special needs request. As I recall, it is a questionnaire that you fill out and send back by email. It can also be used to alert the ship staff of handicaps or need for special equipment. I've needed it on both lines due to using a CPAP and needing an extension cord and distilled water for the machine.

While taking the galley tour, I learned that there are two chefs who do nothing but handle meal preparation for those with special dietary needsThey have a separate prep area to avoid cross-contamination, allergy issues, etc.

At the end of each dinner, my wife was given the next night's menu to place an order in advance. The chefs would endeavor to make the entrees as similar as possible to what was listed on the menu but with lactose-free milk. Lactose free milk was available on request at the buffet.

I understand that Celiac disease is more complicated than lactose intolerance but I'm sure the culinary staff is experienced in taking care of people who have it.

We just got off the Solstice a week ago today. We are in our early 60's and were in the 25% young class. I have never seen so many scooters and w/c's. The ship was long but narrow.2800 passengers. They had plenty of aisle space on the pool deck and in the MDR'S and buffet. Service in the buffet was slow because they had to hand you a plate and set up and you could not serve your self. I don't know if if that was a result of the noro virus that delayed boarding. That was a slight inconvenience but necessary to sanitize the ship. Boy were there a lot of whiners. They need to follow the Allure and Oasis lead when it comes to disembarkation. Because I'm in a power chair and can't walk at all I prefer the big ships with the grand promenades and central park. The elevators on the solstice were small but passengers were more willing to wait for the chairs to get on or they would make room so we could get on. On RCCL that usually was not the case. I recommend either line. The younger group undre 40 will bee happier on RCCL because there is more activity.

Archived