Norwegian Dawn versus Carnival Dream

fourkittys

I found ctwo cruises with the itinarary I love on th eame date but can't decidebetween the two. The prices are similar.

Carnival Dream is newer and larger but has numerous complaints about the food, sewage smell and over crowding.

Nowegian Dawn has the same food complaints with only the extra pay restaurants being good but I don want do that. Their regular balcony cabins are much smaller than Carnivals.

Both ports are ok.

I know there isn't the perfect cruise but I don't want to be disapointed either.

As mentioned, I love the itinerary but don't know if I will be satisfied with either of these ships.

Would someone please share their opinions, obsevations or expiriences that I might consider....THANKS SOOOO MUCH!! We are seniors on a limited income and just want to get the best bang for our $$$$:D

We have been on both ships. Although it is hard to really make a definite decision about what would fit you, I would lean toward Norwegian Dawn. Here are some of my personal observations:

Norwegian Dawn has MUCH better food than Dream. I'm not sure why people complain about the food on Dawn, but we always had excellent meals in the Venetian and Garden Cafe. We only had one disappointment in the Blue Lagoon. We ordered chicken fingers twice there and it was dry the second time - seemed reheated. The Dream had good food in the MDR, but the buffet meats were often overcooked and not tasty. So, if food is a high priority for you, I would definitely say the Dawn is the ship for you.

In our experience, there are more crowds on Dream - lots of kids, depending on time of year. However, Dream has the Serenity area for adults only, so that is a plus. Dawn has a silent zone forward on deck 13, but not near as nice as the Serenity on the Dream. The Dream had better overall entertainment, but we loved the group "Lucky Duo" on Dawn. They sing a variety of beautiful songs from the Carpenters to Country variety, to Neil Diamond... Even some Greek favorites!

I hope this helps you a little bit in making your decision. Enjoy planning!

• 8 months later...

I'm also having trouble deciding between the two ships. I am in college and will be going on the cruise over spring break with my parents and my boyfriend. One thing that concerned me is that there seemed to be little to no nightlife on the Dawn. I'm no party animal, but I would enjoy being able to go to a nightclub, have a drink, and dance a bit. As you said, the two itineraries are almost identical, and I love that.

Another thing that stood out to me was that the Dawn is almost 10 years old, whereas the Dream is only 3 years old. It seems like general wear and tear would make a difference in the quality of the ship.

Really I'm just looking to have a good time on a fun ship.

Help, anyone?

I wanted to get this one bumped back to the first page because i am also considering Dawn. We were on Dream last month and love the itinerary, but it was our second time on dream and we are looking for a change.

Edited by 20165

I cant help you on the Dawn as we havent sailed her yet but have her booked for March. We just sailed the Dream and I was not impressed. The cabins were great, MDR food great, comedy great. The negatives were, Very crowded, buffet food mostly cold, entertainment terrible-no live music whatsoever. The design is very cut up and does not flow well. I would choose the Dawn hands down

I cant help you on the Dawn as we havent sailed her yet but have her booked for March. We just sailed the Dream and I was not impressed. The cabins were great, MDR food great, comedy great. The negatives were, Very crowded, buffet food mostly cold, entertainment terrible-no live music whatsoever. The design is very cut up and does not flow well. I would choose the Dawn hands down

I agree with most of that based on our cruise a couple weeks ago on Dream, but we did have a good time and a lot of it was due to the waterslides which my kids loved. Kept them entertained for hours while we were at the pool. They also enjoyed the kids club quite a bit which freed us up for some date night dinners with just my wife and i.

My main concern with Dawn is the kids not having enough to do because if they are entertained, it makes our lives a lot easier and relaxing. Im hoping that someone with kids responds to this thread and gives some info on the kids clubs/entertainment.

thx

• 2 years later...

I, too, am considering these two ships for a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise departing from New Orleans. We have two boys, ages 17 and 15, and they have really enjoyed our two previous Carnival cruises (as have we). I'm inclined to stick with what we know, unless Norwegian has more to offer. Any advice?

Never sailed the Dream but have sailed the Breeze.

Sailed in a family suite on Dawn

There is no contest.

I would choose the Dream. MDR food on CCL is better than NCL and the ship is not over crowded.

The Dawn is old and at times feels it.

Way more to do on the Dream for both kids and adults. Way more.

Now the Breeze did correct some of Dream's deficencies.

The suite made the Dawn a good cruise. And if you choose to sail in a suite then I might choose the Dawn, but only if.