seasick prevention tips specific to SD?

wolverineinOH

My hubby and I sailed on SD I in March 2010, enjoyed it but both of us felt a little "off" throughout. Neither of us was truly sick, just a bit under the weather. Wondering if there are any specific to SD tips to avoid seasickness. We had the scopolamine patch which may have actually caused it...it did not agree with either of us (dry mouth and a little blurred vision). Will bring bonine or meclizine or similar and try it before we leave next time. I'm a family doctor and now recommend trying before the trip to all my patients! :o Unfortunately I also had mal de debarquement for a few days post, again will do the bonine or some such post trip as well.

We were on deck 4, cabin 403 I think it was. We are planning to book deck 2 this time midship, hopefully lower will be helpful. Any thoughts?

Also thought maybe a fan in the cabin at night would help. I would wake up at night feeling somewhat smothered. Does anyone know if SD will provide a fan for the cabin if requested?

I'm a meclizine gal myself. I seem to do well if I take it at the first minor hint of trouble. Hate the scopolamine patch--had same symptoms as you did. My husband (also a doc) does great with the scopolamine patch and wouldn't consider boarding a small ship without that "badge of courage."

I think your suggestion to your patients is great--try the meds first BEFORE you're in trouble. As a doc, you know very well how people can react wildly differently to the same medication. I like your trial run attitude.

Don't know about the fan, but I just bet they'll provide one. Call them before boarding and ask.

Archived