Pacific Islands

Wyuna1

First Cruise to the Pacific Islands in 25 years last one on SS Canberra did not visit Lifou, Isle of Pines or Mystery Island then. We are not swimmers anymore can anyone suggest any shore excursions at any of these ports that are not water based. Happy New Year to ALL CCer's

First Cruise to the Pacific Islands in 25 years last one on SS Canberra did not visit Lifou, Isle of Pines or Mystery Island then. We are not swimmers anymore can anyone suggest any shore excursions at any of these ports that are not water based. Happy New Year to ALL CCer's

Hi Wyuna. Mystery Island is a delightful small island which you can easily walk around - there are paths everywhere. The markets are excellent considering the local people bring their wares from nearby Aneityum (it is tabu for them to sleep on the island). They also sell cooked lobsters from $10 upwards, according to size. You must watch the two guys at the "Cannibal Soup Pot". People can pay $5 to take photos of their partner/friend etc in the cannibal pot while the "natives" pretend to spear, pull, bash them. They are a hoot - so funny - I swear they've been to NIDA.

On Lifou you can just wander the area where the ship tenders. There are market stalls, not as good as at Mystery Island, and a bar there. If you're energetic, you can make the walk around the bay to climb the stairs and roughish track to the old church on the hill - beautiful views - or you can walk along the road the other way to a village. There is a church there - I;m not sure what else as we just went through it in the bus. We took a ship's tour to Luecila Beach - They stay for about an hour and you can wander around there if you don't want to swim. Also locals are waiting with their small buses/vans if you wish to pay them to take you around. Other tours go to a small vanilla plantation and Cliffs of Jokin.

Isle of Pines. It's a nice area around the tender jetty, although we didn't see much because it was pouring rain and windy in the afternoon. We saw only one market stall besides a small one at the end of the jetty. (In the morning we had taken the ship's tour to the Natural Aquarium to snorkel, although some people didn't get in the water as it was windy and cool.)

I'm sure others will add much more. They are all beautiful islands and I'm sure you will enjoy them.

Adding to Sandielle's advice.

Lifou - I recommend the local bus tours - you will queue for tickets but you get an approximate departure time so you can wander around the small market stall area while you wait - eat icecream and perhaps watch a local performance troupe. There was one on our last visit so we skipped the tour that time. The small Gite to the left as you walk up the hill to the market and bus area serves cold beer in a pleasant garden.

Isle of Pines - If you turn to the left from the tender pier and walk along the road there is a grassy area leading down to the beach with small stalls with local food - some of it free. We tried and came to no harm. This is also the area for performances (in the morning). THey are excellent and worth waiting for. Follow the signs to The Boutique on your way back to the ship - an eccentric and interesting place. Jewellery and sarongs etc in an unusual setting. Interesting small books about Lifou written by the owner.

Mystery Island - Do try the lobsters but remember to take some salt packets with you if you need it for shell fish. Also useful to take some small notes - coins as donations for the groups of local children who sing to you as you walk along the sandy paths. If you like to be ON the water but not in it - the locals hire boats (with boatmen) for tours around the island - even a fishing trip if you like.

Colleen

Colleen, thanks for the extra info on Isle of Pines. :) We missed the morning activities as we were on the tour so that is a must do on our next cruise there.

As I said, it absolutely poured in the afternoon and our umbrellas kept blowing inside out, so we've got fingers crossed for next time.) We soon went back to the ship and the locals didn't hang around, either, lol.

we were at Mystery Island during our xmas cruise and they had the lobsters in the hut at 9am already cooked....the cheapest was $30 and the dearest was $50....personally i wouldnt get one as you dont know how long they have been there for

I will add a bit to the information already supplied.

Isle of Pines - The dance performance is usually 11am, and there will probably be a sign at the 'land end' of the jetty with the time shown. If not you can ask.

You can walk to the ruins of the old penal colony. After leaving the jetty, walk to the left to the Y junction and take the left-hand road. Walk for around 25 minutes (past the small convenience store). The ruins are on the right. They aren't great and are overgrown. We only had sandals/thongs on and I probably would have been happier if I had closed in shoes when we explored the ruins.

Mystery Is - I would be hesitant to buy the lobster unless it was first thing in the morning as they aren't refrigerated and not stored in ice. The locals offer 'tours' at their 'tour desk' on the island. When we went we were able to cross to their village on the neighbouring larger island and have a very short tour. OK, but not great. They also take people around Mystery Island. Probably the best thing here is the markets - a bit similar to Vila but nowhere near as large.

Aus T, are you referring to what the guide told us was an old prison on the right hand side of the road going towards the airport? It was so overgrown last September, you could hardly see it.

I was wondering what the old stone wall near the jetty was all about, but it was so wet, we didn't bother to investigate.

Aus T, are you referring to what the guide told us was an old prison on the right hand side of the road going towards the airport? It was so overgrown last September, you could hardly see it.

I was wondering what the old stone wall near the jetty was all about, but it was so wet, we didn't bother to investigate.

That's right. The old prison is on the right. We managed to follow a very narrow 'path' through the long grass. You can easily get into the remains of the buildings and prison cells. It is reasonably interesting but not a 'must see'.

The old stone wall on the right as you walk towards the sacred rock/snorkelling area was a resort. My in-laws stayed there years ago right on the water. Unfortunately the resort was burnt down (I think in the 1980s) by Kanaks who were trying to expell the French and get independence.

Archived