Fashoin Police

waserdog

I'm from S. Florida where just about everything goes anytime of the year!! My question is this: If you take a repostitioning cruise from L.A. to Vancouver in early May, is it too soon to wear pastels?

Marianne

Pastels are worn anytime...it just depends on the style and fabric. For instance, light colored sweaters are worn in the winter....cream and/or "winter white" is fine. Since your cruise is not in the hot climates such as Mexico or the Caribbean, you may not want to wear summer white light weight fabrics...A cruise up the Pacific Coast in early May can be cool....but heck...wear what you are comfortable in. :)

Guess you've been to S. Florida since you described much of the "in" crowd that attend the "early bird" specials. :) Our cruise is in 2 weeks and now my concern is not the color of the clothes, but packing the ones that fit. How can I lose 15 lbs. in 2 weeks? :O

Marianne

We are going to Alaska this summer. I would imagine that daytime clothes are pretty casual. Jeans? I know I will take my sailing jacket because I have seen it pour in AK in the summer and we want to do a lot of walking when we are on land.

We usually just take one carry-on each when we travel, but I think for a cruise we will take an additional bag for specialty clothes--tux, sailing jackets, etc.

We've been to Alaska twice and it is definitely casual in the day. We were there several years ago and we went white water rafting. It was in August and the water was SO COLD that we were chilled for the day & night. We were on Princess both times. That was back when people really glitzed out and there were people from the rafting trip in sweats at dinner. It does rain a lot so the sailing jacket will be perfect.

Marianne

I took my (then) 11 year old daughter on HAL repositioning cruise from LA to

Vancouver (DW's school vacation was a different week) Daughter brought her cottillion fancy dresses, based on our previous HAL cruise to Alaska. Even though there were no formal nights, she wore them, and I took her dancing before dinner in the lounge. She was the belle of the ball, and the two "dancing doctors" from Vancouver gave her compliments! Anyway, the dress on the whole was more casual. Usually fewer passengers on the cruise (you get great service that way) and the whole mood was dialed down a notch. I would think pastels are fine, but do take something warm, as the Oregon coast can have storms that time of year. Enjoy!

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't worry about pastels,pastels are HUGE right now. Even for guys. It's no big deal fora guy to wear a light pink, purple, lime green, etc shirt. In fact, guys can wear any color these days. And to quote one message left one this board "How can I lose 15 pounds in a week?" Use the Full Body Makeover by that guy in Extreme Makeover. Follow the diet strictly, it'll make you drop the pounds and feel better. My Mom has been doing it for a while now and has lost 40 something pounds. In the first week she lost a ton!

Archived