JS for 4 or........???

ciship

2 adults, 2 kids - Mariner of the Seas

Should I get an AFT JS for the 4 of us............approx $5000 for 1 cabin

OR

should I get a D1 AFT 1388 for 2 of us and an inside for the kids across the hall??? approx $4200 for both cabins.

For those of you who know these AFT cabins, what do you suggest?

ciship: We have not been on the Mariner, but just off Voyager 3/05 (sister ship) in an aft JS. Our family had aft 3 balconies together (2 E1's and a JS). If you are comfortable with your kids in another cabin (kids are old enough, etc), hands down, 1388 with an inside is the way to go! :D This is a great balcony and will provide 2 bathrooms, plus it is cheaper!!! D1's are obviously smaller than the JS, but it will be for 2 instead of 4.

Bruce

Great Bruce......! Which JS AFT cabin did you have? If hubby and I decided to get a JS AFT cabin (for the two of us) instead of 1388, do you recommend one over the other? Is it really that much better than those corner 1388 and 1688?

Also, how far are the inside cabins across the hall from those corner afts 1388 and 1688?? I don't want to get "mommy anxiety".

We stayed in an aft JS (1694) on Voyager and it was an awesome cabin and an even more awesome balcony, but it was only because we couldn't get 1388/1688. I don't think that the extra amount that you have to pay to get the JS would be worth it considering that 1388/1688 are close to the same size as the JS. You won't have the bathtub, but if you think you can do without that for a week, I'd definitely go with the D1, corner aft cabin and spend your savings on something else. Your D1 corner aft balcony is also a wonderful size. If you are comfortable with the kids in their own cabin then they will be closer to you if you choose the D1 corner aft. If you choose a JS aft, the kids will be down the hall. I picked the closest inside for my teenagers and they were almost across from 1388 but were down the hall 3-4 doors from our cabin.

Don't second guess yourself to death. That's what I did for a month, almost drove myself crazy. Once I made my final decision, (with much help from people here) I never looked back.

You know if you have the D1 corner aft cabin on hold, you really are one of the lucky ones. People try and try to get these cabins. Grab it, enjoy it and from now on, you may find yourself one of these people who choose their cruises around the availability of these corner aft cabins!!! ;)

Well, OvertheEdge.......that did it for me. You and Bruce convinced me to just get that corner AFT and put the kids across the hall!! Booking hasnt opened up yet for summer of 2006, but by GOSH I'm going to be prepared and READY when it does!!!!!!!! I hope I'm lucky enough to get it. Do you think if I called RCI now that they would even consider putting it on hold for me and book it when the time comes???

ciship: over the edge has given you some great info. To answer your question, we were on deck 7 so that we could have balconies together. We had 7388, 7390 and 7392, which is the JS. The balcony on 1388/1688 is really worth getting (as was 7388) if possible. As for distance, the inside rooms are just accross the hall. The kids will not be that far away.

I don't believe that RCI can hold anything until there is an available cabin to be held. Suggest you keep watching for the summer schedule to be released and act as soon as possible. Good luck. You are after a PRIME cabin! :D

Bruce

Good that you made the decision for the 2 cabins....not a vacation with the kids in the same room as you. Maybe if you are single, but with a mate--just does not work too well....Who cares about the amount of room when you go to a private cabin for just the 2 of you the space seems much larger anyways--anything without the kids. We usually get a balcony with an inside across the hall. This time we are booked on MOS for Jan 22, 2006 and took a new combo of cabins. They have 2 balcony cabins and adjoining inside cabins on each side of deck 9--aft but on the port and starboard sides. The D1 cabin is a bit bigger too.

We had those rooms on the Mariner (1688 and 1677). Sure, we missed the larger bathroom, but those new shower doors made the shower great! The stateroom seemed the same size as the JS's we have stayed in. The balcony was nice. Our children were just 6 short steps away from us and we had the same steward. He took very good care of them and we let him know that if he had any trouble to come to us.

PS - We told the children to call the room before coming over because we may be on the balcony and not hear them knocking. HeHe :D

Good that you made the decision for the 2 cabins....not a vacation with the kids in the same room as you. Maybe if you are single, but with a mate--just does not work too well....Who cares about the amount of room when you go to a private cabin for just the 2 of you the space seems much larger anyways--anything without the kids. We usually get a balcony with an inside across the hall. This time we are booked on MOS for Jan 22, 2006 and took a new combo of cabins. They have 2 balcony cabins and adjoining inside cabins on each side of deck 9--aft but on the port and starboard sides. The D1 cabin is a bit bigger too.

Yes, I know which ones you mean. We had this same type of combo cabin on the Carnival PRIDE and they were PERFECT!!! They really need to do more of these on the new ships.

We had those rooms on the Mariner (1688 and 1677). Sure, we missed the larger bathroom, but those new shower doors made the shower great! The stateroom seemed the same size as the JS's we have stayed in. The balcony was nice. Our children were just 6 short steps away from us and we had the same steward. He took very good care of them and we let him know that if he had any trouble to come to us.

PS - We told the children to call the room before coming over because we may be on the balcony and not hear them knocking. HeHe :D

HeHe is right!! Hey, how old were your kids in the inside cabin? Mine will be 10 and 13. Both mild mannered and not wild at all. I think they can handle it.

All this info has been so great and I feel so relieved that I can finally make a decision! Thanks to all!

Mine were a young adult and teens.With a 10 and 13 year old, just be prepered for the middle of the night "I'm scared." :( On the other hand, maybe they will be so worn out that they sleep like babies. Are they boys, girls or one of each?

Mine were a young adult and teens.With a 10 and 13 year old, just be prepered for the middle of the night "I'm scared." :( On the other hand, maybe they will be so worn out that they sleep like babies. Are they boys, girls or one of each?

We just got off a cruise where they had a room to themselves, but the cabin was connected to ours. They were very independent and if we closed the door while we got dressed or whatever, it didnt bother them a bit (I think they preferred it so they could watch their programs on tv at night). My son will be 13 by the time we take this next cruise and my daughter (the staff on the last ship called her "fearless one") will be 10. They adore each other and she will mind her brother. I expect to have some anxiety about them being across the hall, but if worse comes to worst then I will go over and sleep with one of them or they both can come to our rooms to sleep (I just don't anticipate this happening :o ) I know they will enjoy the independence and still be mindful and respectful of others.

My kids have been in a cabin across the hall from us usually and they are 17, 10 and 8 now. With our 17 yr old not traveling with us for Jan 06 cruise I felt I wanted them in an adjoining room --they will be 11 and 9! They are also very well behaved and mild mannered, but they enjoy the room to themselves 100%. They end up ordering in room service for breakfast while hubby and I go to the dining room. We also did late seating for the first time jan 15 cruise and LOVED it. Gave us so much more time to do all the things on the ship and the kids were never told "no snacking, too close to dinner time" . They enjoyd being able to have ice cream or something at 5 or 6 and still join us for dinner at the late seating. They also enjoy eating with us and the finer menu choices off the regular menus.

We eat really early here at home, but we just don't like to eat that early on our cruises. We always do late seating with the kids. No rushing. More time to get them ready and more importantly MYSELF! I like the extra time in port as well.

I can't wait for booking to open up so that I can get these cabins. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Archived