Allure WOW phones

My family and I will be on the Allure in march and I was wondering if they still had the wow phones, where they have them , and which iPhone version are they? Also any good or bad experiences you might have had. Thanks

They appeared to be iPhone 3G's when we looked at them a few weeks back.

We probably would have got a set between the 4 of us for the convenience, but the $1000 damage replacement cost completely put us off - we're really careful (we both own 4S's), but I could picture our kids accidentally sitting them down somewhere and loosing them, or something stealing them when they weren't looking, and then we're on the hook for the $1K.

I suggested that RC make an app so that *everyone* could utilise the shipboard VoIP using their own smartphone on the ships WiFi network...which is basically exactly what these custom RCI iPhones do.

...Provide the app free in the appstore and then provide a subscription online or something at nominal cost - that we would have used, since the kids have iPod Touches that would work as "phones" in this scenario between us and our iPhone 4's, and replacement costs on those is $200, not $1000.

Could you use the locator to find it if it gets lost? I also have an older otter box for my kids phone. ( that's why I need to know what version of iPhone)

They were definitely either 3G's or 3GS's, either of which are so close in form-factor that any case designed for the 3G or newer should fit just fine. The Otterbox is a great idea, especially if it's one of the totally waterproof models - The pool area was another one of those areas where I saw the potential for disaster with a $1000 phone. ;)

I'm guessing the locator feature would be useful if lost, although I didn't ever get hands-on with one of the phones long enough to really see how detailed the location data is. I suppose if it was close enough narrow it down to a specific area at which point you could call/page the phone (to create noise to track it further) you had the potential to get it returned if stolen, but it wasn't anything I was willing to find out. Honestly, it was the risk of damage that concerned me more than loss - the otterbox would have certainly alleviated a lot of that for me, that's for sure - I didn't really think of that option.

• 3 weeks later...

We used them on the Oasis and they have a GPS on them. We cross referenced them with our friends phone & we could see where they were at at all times on the ship.

My question is how much were they? When we used them on the Oasis in 2010 they were $17.50 per phone for the week. Have they gone up? Also, where do you get them from? Still in the Ice Rink? There is 20 of us traveling together & I want to get onboard and get that out of they way ASAP. We have Travel Insurance so I am hoping that if anything happens to it, it will be covered.

Thanks in advance!

They are $60 each for the week and when we were on the Allure in Nov they were available at the conference center on deck 3. I wound check out your travel insurance before I assumed it would cover the $1000 replacement fee before I got a really nasty surprise!

We had them on Oasis and they worked very poorly. I wouldnt recommend them. There were a lot of spots where they didnt work, like the Arcade, and after a couple of days we gave up and went to walkie talkies that we had packed.

Archived