mal de debarkment

beege44

I loved my first cruise but I lost my equilibrium the moment I stepped on the ship. No sea sicknes just lost my ability to balance. After the cruise, my world rocked for 5 weeks! I had to hold on to furniture to navigate around my house. I have since found out about mal de debarkment and that the effects can last much longer. That would be terrible. I am now really scared about going on another cruise but I would love to be able to go. Does any one have any ideas or knowledge about this? I've heard that clonapin might help. ???

My friend's wife has the same syndrome. They've been on a couple cruises, the last one was a bit rougher, she was rocking for months after the cruise. So now they won't cruise again.

For my wife and I, we usually rock for a day or two after getting off the ship then it goes away. Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, just that you're not alone.

I felt a bit of the "mal de debarkment" for a few days after my first cruise, but none at all after my second. I did take Bonine on the second cruise - not sure if that makes the difference or not.

Pat :rolleyes:

I felt a bit of the "mal de debarkment" for a few days after my first cruise, but none at all after my second. I did take Bonine on the second cruise - not sure if that makes the difference or not.

Pat :rolleyes:

Don't think the bonine made the difference. I actually had it longer after my second cruise than the first cruise... and I took bonine during the second cruise but not the first (the first cruise was very calm and the wrist bands worked fine. Second one, not so calm and I used wrist bands, bonine and ginger!).

Archived