Seatrek Helmet Diving - Anybody been?

Grover-Lee

We just did Sea Trek last week at Xcaret. One of the neatest things I've ever done!!! It was awesome and so easy to do. The fish swim right past you and there are divers all over just in case...:)

Thanks for the info! It's nice to hear that someone has done it and enjoyed it.

Kitty - how much was it?

We are just in Cozumel for the day - any other thoughts on what to do or what not to?

Thanks again you two!

Excellent! It really does sound like a great time. I think I'm going to book it.

We leave on the Valor on May 1st. And we'll be in Cozumel on May 6.

Feel free to pop me an email when I get back and ask me about it. I will try and remember to post something, but my brain my be mush by then. :D

grovercl@shaw.ca

I did it at Chankanaab. I was really disappointed - there wasn't much to see. The cool sensation of walking/breathing underwater didn't last as long as the "dive". I'd recommend snorkeling or snuba instead. Sorry to be a downer, but I really didn't think it was much fun.

viggodreamer,

I would recommend that you take swim shoes. Fins would not be of any use since you have to stay vertical the entire time you are underwater. During the dive you will be walking on the bottom of the ocean.

The helmet sits on your shoulders, but is not water tight. If you do not keep your body vertical, water will enter your helmet. If you do get water in your helmet it is easily removed by standing vertical again. I accidentally tested this on my dive - - do not worry it was not a big deal.

My husband did the walk at Chankanaab Park 3 yrs ago, he loved it. He can not swim. I love the water & swim like a fish, I had panic attick (NO idea why) & got back out of the water. They refunded my $50 :D They give you water boots to wear. He loves watching the video he bought of his walk.

• 6 months later...

I was thinking of doing the helmet dive for my mom. She can't swim and she doesn't like to get her head/hair wet, so I thought this would be perfect. But if she got water in her helmet, she would FREAK!! Is there really a chance to get water in the helmet??

Maggie

maggieworkman,

As I mentioned below, it is possible to get water in the helmet if you lean far enough to the side. However, as soon as you stand back vertical, the helmet empties quickly. The guides will cover this during the pre-dive briefing. My wife does not swim, and is not a big fan of getting in deep water, but she had a great time!

Archived