Review "Lirica" Cruise 03/31 to 04/11/2005

bigmike7

Can anyone give me an idea of total cost for tipping for the week? I just booked my trip in February and am trying to set up my budget...

Also, is there anywhere I can get a listing of Shore Excursions available on board? I haven't been able to find any on the MSC website....

Any help is appreciated.

Yo-

I estimate about $4 per person per day for cabin steward and waiter and $2 or 3 for assistant waiter and possibly a tip for the wine steward - if used-

More if service is exceptional for any of the above-

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have another question for you. Does the ship have 110v outlets, I read in the brochure 240v with 110 shaver points. Does that mean i have to bring along a converter?

Doris

Yo-

There is a 110volt outlet on the built in table (usually behind the bathroom) and another 110 volt outlet for a shaver in the bathroom. I usually take an 15 foot extension cord and a two prong three way adapter to plug in my battery charger and night light-

Mike

Just to let you all know that I am just back from my Med cruise on the Lirica and it was everything you guys said it was and a whole lot more. My first cruise and it won't be my last and I would sail on Lirica again in a heartbeat.

For all of you looking forward to this magnificent ship - you are in for a truly wonderful experience.

P1010165.jpg

Yo blondiewales-

Oh!!! I am SO happy to hear that!!!! You have made my day - and thank you SO much for sharing that with us!!!

Welcome to the growing group of satisified past MSC cruisers-

Mike

Thanks Mike. I really could not fault anything about the cruise. The staff were so friendly, the food was delicious, the cabin and ship itself was gleaming. The itinerary was superb too - I stayed in Milan for two days beforehand then off to Genoa, Rome, Messina, Tunis, Palma , Barcelona and Marseilles.

Just want to go again.:)

blondiewales: I am happy to hear you had a great trip! I am off on Sinfonia next week and our ports are the same. I hope you are publishing a trip report soon. I am especially interested in what you did in the ports where you did NOT do shore excursions. I prefer to be on my own and am looking for suggestions.

A few questions:

Were there a lot of kids aboard? I know they are heavily marketing to families. I am recently off the Glory and the who ship felt like a daycare center.

Did you chose early or late dining? Were you seated with other English speaking passengers?

Did there appear to be any singles aboard? I have posted roll calls on all the boards and I am apparently the only one sailing!

How formal were the formal nights for ladies in terms of percentage of long dresses?

Thanks!

CG

A few questions:

I am especially interested in what you did in the ports where you did NOT do shore excursions. I prefer to be on my own and am looking for suggestions.

Rome - caught a train into the city and did some sightseeing on foot. I won't lie to you - it was hard going. Only managed to get to see Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain and passed the Colosseum in the taxi on the way back to the station - I was shattered by then! I didn't go on any of the organized excursions - and apart from Tunis where I stayed onboard - I just did some exploring on foot after taking the coach into the various towns. Barcelona is amazing as is Palma.

Were there a lot of kids aboard? I know they are heavily marketing to families. I am recently off the Glory and the who ship felt like a daycare center.

Yes there were kids on board but to be honest, either they were extremely well behaved or ( more likely ) the ship was big enough for me to find my own piece of solitude and they did not disturb me at all. (apart from some toddlers being in the late sitting for dinner which I felt was too late - they were obviously tired)

Did you chose early or late dining? Were you seated with other English speaking passengers?

Late dining - 9.15 pm and I was seated with a lovely English couple.

Did there appear to be any singles aboard? I have posted roll calls on all the boards and I am apparently the only one sailing!

Yes - it was a real mix of families, couples and singles. Everyone was so friendly though so don't worry about being alone

How formal were the formal nights for ladies in terms of percentage of long dresses?

Again a mixture. Saw two gents in tuxedos, most in lounge suits and ties, some just smart casual. Ladies were a bit more glamourously dressed - mixture of cocktail dresses and long dresses or evening skirts. Do whatever you feel is most comfortable for yourself. I have to admit to dressing up every night for dinner whether it was formal or not. But I am like that !!!!:D

Have a fantastic time. I am sure you will :)

A few questions:

Again a mixture. Saw two gents in tuxedos, most in lounge suits and ties, some just smart casual. Ladies were a bit more glamourously dressed - mixture of cocktail dresses and long dresses or evening skirts. Do whatever you feel is most comfortable for yourself. I have to admit to dressing up every night for dinner whether it was formal or not. But I am like that !!!!:D l :)

Agree totally!

Reminds me of the great story about a lady on "Aurora" who dressed beautifully every single evening.

Going into the dining room one night she was told "Dont you know its casual night tonight"

to which she responded

"For me..THIS IS casual".

Join in the wishes for a fabulous cruise.

• 2 months later...

Mike I am on the Lirica departing December 27 Trans Panama

The itinerary indicates an 8:00pm departure from Fort Lauderdale.This seems very late to me. You indicted earlier that people were boarding the ship at 1:00pm. Makes methink the 8:00pm could be wrong.

I would appreciate your comments.

Yo-

We had the same exact question about the 8:00 pm departure-

Rest assured that it DOES leave at 8:00 pm - just like it says - unusual but true-

The boarding started just before noon - and was very smooth for us-

Enjoy your trip - we found the "Lirica" to be a whole new (pleasant) adventure in the wide world of cruising-

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Mike

I have come across a bit of a dilema and am looking for advice.

I booked a category 9 room on the Lirica. The internet site indicated that the room was a deluxe ocean view 220sq feet.

This was very attractive to me as the kids (9 and 11) only have to pay port charges (no 3/4 passenger room charges for kids 11 and under) and my dad who is travelling with us needs a wheelchair because of some mobility issues. The bigger room sounded perfect.

Now I am booked and have made hotel, rental car and air travel arrangements for December 27. Air fare is not cheap on December 27 so when I found a good deal I locked in and now have the tickets with very little or no flexibility.

So far so good!!

Not really. Yesterday I was going over some other web sites and boards and found numerous discepancies about the room sizes on the Lirica. So I called MSC directly. They told be the room size for my category is only 144 Sq Feet.

I called my booking agent and asked them to investigate...it is obvious that their internet sight is very wrong. When the agent got back to me she confirmed what I already knew. Basically she said oops and offered me a very small discount. She expalined that their programmer must have put in details for a different ship. I won't go into the detais of the discussions I had with the booking agent. At this point I have not resolved the situation with them.

This morning I called MSC again and they are now saying that the room size is 185 sq feet. ( They checked after someone inquired yesterday...that would be me!!)

At this point I am not sure what to believe.

What did you think of the room sizes on the Lirica? Do you think we can manage the four of us and a wheelchair in the small room?

I am anxious to finalize my plans and get to that point where all I need to do is look forward to the trip. For whatever reasons....this trip planning has been particularly complicated.

Still trying to keep a positive attitude!

Rest assured that it DOES leave at 8:00 pm - just like it says - unusual but true-

This is I believe to enable those flying in from Europe to sail on the day they arrive, without requiring an overnight's stay first. Many fligths from Europe arrive around 4 or 5 pm. Impossible to make the usual departure times.

This morning I called MSC again and they are now saying that the room size is 185 sq feet. ( They checked after someone inquired yesterday...that would be me!!)

I believe they are wrong. All cabins on Lirica are the same size, 144 sq ft, up until category 11, where the figure they quote I think is the one you originally had less the balcony, that is for the suites.

Is the wheelchair a folding one? If not you may not be able to get it through the cabin door. As long as the wheelchair is not required for use within the cabin there should be no problem. However 4 in any cabin is a squash in some respects and Lirica's showers are tiny, not very good for anyone with a mobility problem:(

However I really wouldn't let that put you off. Cabins are for sleeping in and I am sure you will have a great time anyway.

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I really appreciate all your great information. We are booked on the Liricia for 2/15/2006. We wanted something a little different from the usual cruises. Going with another couple from our home town. Love all the ports we will be in and only 3 days at sea (plus the departing day).on the 11 night deep caribbean itinery. Am wondering about the beds, are they comfortable? We sailed on the Carnival Spirit & beds were hard as a rock and got back aches. We should have found a place that sold egg crates foam mattress covers, but hind sight is 20/20 now. So we usually try to find out about the beds from someone like you who has been on the ship. This will be my 33 cruise. I luv2cruz. Will appreciate any information you can give us about this ship. Thanks. Dot

Yo dawol-

Are you ever going to love that cruise-

About the beds - we were on the "Spirit" also and therefore can compare the beds - and MSC beds are much better than the Carnival ones-

Hint - when on the "Spirit" we complained to the cabin steward about the mattresses - he placed a couple of folded blankets on the beds on top of the mattress and under the bed cover - made all the difference in the world-

We are on the HAL "Ryndam" in November and are told that they have the absolute best beds afloat - am really looking forward to that-

btw - we were in an inside on deck 8 aft - and it was absolutely quiet-

The ship is imaculate and the week after we sailed she had her health inspection and scored a solid 100!!!

Just a random thought - but we never encountered anyone that obviously had to much to drink on this cruise - something that stood out from our other cruises - wonder if anyone else noticed this also (we are NOT teetotalers btw) - remember - if you are into good wine to ask about the dining room wine special - it's great!!

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

Thanks for the info on the beds. You have eased my mind. We were kinda leary about this ship as it is definate Italian influence, I'm told. But we wanted something a little different. I think we're really going to like this cruise. You will like Holland America ships, this is my personal favorite line. But the Lirica had the ports we wanted to visit. HA has guests laundry rooms and not many lines have this where you can do your own laundry or just press an item. Does the Lirica have a guest laundry room? It is so nice to just throw everything in the dryer with a damp cloth & dryer sheet,presto, no wrinkles for the rest of the cruise. They don't recommend it, but I take a travel iron when I know there will be no laundry room. Do you know how many formal & informal nights there will be on the 11 night cruise? Someone said they really dressed for dinner every night??? I will probably go kinda casual other than the dressy nights. Thanks again. Dot

Yo Dot-

Sorry - no laundry rooms (guess that MSC wants you to have a real vacation) and the ships laundry is reasonable and pretty fast compared to others-

We had three formal nights - I personally opt for the dark blue Travelsmith and a moc turtleneck - the balance of informal was casual - I wore hawaiian shirts and slacks and DW wore dress or slacks - felt ok to me as 80% of the others were dressed accordingly and the other 20% - well they dressed the way they thought was approperate - just be sure to be on time for dinner as they really close the doors 15 minutes after the start time and there was not an evening buffet on our cruise - next feed bag stop was the midnight buffet or room service-

All in all - one of the best cruises we have ever taken (but then - we are easy to please)-

Mike

Hi Mike, wanted to know if the ship has shampoo, conditioner and body wash in the cabin bathrooms. Don't want to pack my own if they supply these items. You have been so kind to share all your great information. Thanks so much. Dot

Yo Dot-

Very good european shampoo and soaps are in the room and replaced when necessary - do not honestly remember any conditioner though - so you may want to take your own or purchase after you get on board-

Will double check with DW tonite when she gets home from work-

Mike

Archived