Freedom dining with toddler? (P&O)

Bobbyjean

We are on a seven-night cruise with P&O in May and are taking our two-year-old along.

We want to attempt dinners with him in the main dining room although he does find the long meal quite a challenge.

The travel agent talked us into freedom dining as we can go for meals whenever we want, but I have read about queues before you are seated - not ideal with a toddler who does not like standing still for longer than 10 seconds.

Would it be better for us to switch to the early sitting and reserve a table for three (in the hope that we will be served more quickly and can finish dinner in an hour)?

Any advice and experiences very welcome!

EARLY!

The dining staff will be the same & will have the high chair/booster seat ready for you after the first night. My experience is not with P&O, but I have to assume that it will be the same - just make sense... Also you can probably have his meal served with your appetizer & may be able to have the service done more quickly... When my son acted up, I took him to our room & my husband brought my dinner to me... You just have to be prepeared.

Also you don't want to try the buffet - too many people, looking for a table, wrangling a child & a tray of food & drinks...

There's usually a lot going on in the dining room...and that may hold your child's interest for longer than normal...and your waiters will dote upon your child.

The "anytime" option is great for kids....as you can hurry up your meal without affecting tablemates. Only 1 needs to be in line (if there is a line at all!)....the other parent can take the child and let them run around a bit, until it's time to be seated.

Have you thought about taking him to the Childrens tea (usually at about 5pm) and then putting him in the night nursery at his normal bedtime or the childrens club. That way he's not eating too late and you can have a peaceful meal with your partner.

Have you thought about taking him to the Childrens tea (usually at about 5pm) and then putting him in the night nursery at his normal bedtime or the childrens club. That way he's not eating too late and you can have a peaceful meal with your partner.

This is what we tend to do - feed the kids at children's tea and then send them off to club. If you want to eat early on freedom dining then you should have no problem getting a table. The peak time is around 7.30-8pm ish but they will give you a buzzer to call you when a table is ready. We like the freedom dining as it is less restrictive. If the kids want an early dinner with us in the dining room that is fine, and the next evening they may be at club and we can eat later. Do you want to share a table with others or not? With freedom dining it is your choice to share or not. If there are 3 you on fixed dining you may find you are put on a larger table with others.

Thanks for the ideas and advice. We are going to try our son at the kids club but he tends to be a bit clingy at the moment - if he likes it there I guess we will have more freedom and a few relaxed mealtimes!

He is also terrible at settling down to sleep (I envy parents whose children seem to be able to fall asleep anywhere!) so I don't think the night nursery is going to work for us. :(

Thanks for the ideas and advice. We are going to try our son at the kids club but he tends to be a bit clingy at the moment - if he likes it there I guess we will have more freedom and a few relaxed mealtimes!

He is also terrible at settling down to sleep (I envy parents whose children seem to be able to fall asleep anywhere!) so I don't think the night nursery is going to work for us. :(

which ship are you going on? The youth team are very good onboard P&O ships - my two year old was clingy but I made sure I talked to staff and made sure they were aware etc. and we started by leaving her in for half an hour or so. Having been in the room settling my daughter, I can tell you there are lots of kids that scream and shout for parents not to leave and then 5 minutes after they have gone they are happily joining in with others. Mine was the same and if she could see me leaving got very upset. I felt terrible waiting until she was distracted and then making a sharp exit, but I always rang 10 mins later when back at the cabin to check she was ok and she always was! By about 7.30-8pm in the evening they get them snuggled up with sleeping bags/bean bags watching a movie.

We are going on Ventura, and I have heard some good things about their kids clubs :)

I expect he will love the club, and he does go to nursery for a couple of half days so leaving him should not be a big issue. I just hate the idea of dumping him somewhere so we can have an easier time!!

We are going on Ventura, and I have heard some good things about their kids clubs :)

I expect he will love the club, and he does go to nursery for a couple of half days so leaving him should not be a big issue. I just hate the idea of dumping him somewhere so we can have an easier time!!

The kids facilities on Ventura are really good. There is a ball pit in that play room and he will love it I am sure. We tend to have kids with us in the day and then use the club at night because it is nice to have dinner just the two of us. They also like to go in and play on the sea days. If you first day is a sea day it's a good chance to try it out. The staff are really nice and have no problem if you want to stay in the club with him and play. When my youngest was under 2 she really wanted to go in that room because her brother was in there and they were always happy for me to go in with her and join in. The problem I have now is my kids would like to spend more time in club than I want them to!

Archived