Transportation from Ft Lauderdale

jeffeyner

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale since the price was much lower. We booked a hotel a few miles from port. Any advice on the cheapest/easiest way to get from Ft Lauderdale to our hotel?

Where is your ship leaving from?

so if the rate was lower-- did it at least cover what it is going to cost you to get to the hotel/ and then to the cruise port

i saw you are leaving from Miami- are you staying in Miami?

the cheapest way to get there is by getting a shared ride outside the FLL airport to Miami.

a cab will run about 85. one way. (allow at least 45 minutes to get there)

We are flying into Ft Lauderdale since the price was much lower. We booked a hotel a few miles from port. Any advice on the cheapest/easiest way to get from Ft Lauderdale to our hotel?

First, check the hotel and see if they offer a shuttle, free or otherwise.

Also, you could go to the Florida Departures board and see if your hotel is listed: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Yep- we saved over $100 per person, so even with the $85 cab ride, we saved a bit- plus better flight times for us. We are staying in Miami, thought it would be easiest. Our hotel has a free shuttle to port, so we just need to get to the hotel itself. I'll take a look at shuttles. Thanks!

I VERY briefly looked at the schedule yesterday so I'm not saying I got a good look, but it looked like there was one going about every 20-40 or so minutes.

Maybe because I live in DC and can often wait 10-20 minutes for my first metro train and 10-20 minutes for my next train or sometimes nearly an hour for my bus, I guess I'm just used to waiting for the train to arrive. I thought the times were pretty good for a commuter train. It was also a pretty quick ride I thought.

I VERY briefly looked at the schedule yesterday so I'm not saying I got a good look, but it looked like there was one going about every 20-40 or so minutes. .

weekends the tri rail runs every two hours. seems my plane would just miss one that just left.

http://www.tri-rail.com/rider_info/stm_wend.asp

weekends the tri rail runs every two hours. seems my plane would just miss one that just left.

http://www.tri-rail.com/rider_info/stm_wend.asp

My apologies, I've never needed it on a weekend so I didn't look at those times.

Hypothetically, say the train leaves at at 10 and 12 and your plane arrives at 10:10 (just missing it). By the time you actually get off of the plane and then get your luggage, find the shuttle, and get over there, you might have an hour or less left. You could grab some food at the airport before.

Granted I'd only recommend waiting around that long for people on really tight budgets like we are. If we had a more comfortable budget I wouldn't fret over it. The only way we can cruise is if we hunt for the cheapest prices on the cheapest line during the cheapest dates. Then we do no or minimal excursions--found online cheaper, not through the cruise line. We only have a couple of drinks each the entire cruise, no gambling, we don't buy pictures or extras. It can be tough to be on a budget but I'd rather cruise than not so we make it work! Plus every bit that we save (like taking the train) is a little more we might be able to spend on the trip.

We also got a much cheaper rate in April by flying into FLL airport instead of Miami. We are using SAS Transportation at $15.00 a person. They are also picking us up at the port and taking us back to FLL for $13.00 each.

Where is your ship leaving from?

so if the rate was lower-- did it at least cover what it is going to cost you to get to the hotel/ and then to the cruise port

i saw you are leaving from Miami- are you staying in Miami?

the cheapest way to get there is by getting a shared ride outside the FLL airport to Miami.

a cab will run about 85. one way. (allow at least 45 minutes to get there)

We have done this many times. It isn't much more to hire a Limo than to take the taxi service and there is so much more room. Excellent for a party of four and very inexpensive if splitting the cost 4 ways. Go online and check out the Limo services in Ft lauderdale.

Archived