BEWARE: Early check-in on Dream

WickershamBros

We got a 1:30 check in, but had inlaws take us to the port at 10:00 (this was last May). We ended up getting a #3 boarding pass, and got on before noon. Also, the only time we were "outside in the hot sun" was waiting for them to open the doors. The part of the port where you typically wait is inside, air-conditioned and shaded. I wouldn't go that early now, since they are opening later.

No one is going to sit out in the hot sun.

Don't worry about it. Yes, it takes an hour to get from the airport to the port. Your online check-in time is not enforced. I have been on 5 DCL cruises. Last one was on the Dream this past summer.

When you get to the port, you go check-in and they give you a boarding number. The earlier you get there, the better your boarding number. Most people get to the port around 10am. This last trip, we got there around 10:45, immediately checked in and were given our boarding number. It was already extremely crowded. Around 11:30, they start calling out the boarding numbers - starting with 1.

You will probably get to the port around 1:30, which is about the time the resort busses get there. They will check you in and you will not wait long to get on board.

We took magical express once and got to port around 2:00. They checked us in and we walked right on the boat with no lines. When you get there at 10:45am, you end up waiting a while because they don't start boarding until around 11:30. But the wait is not bad. The characters are out and you can take pictures with them.

They've returned from the cruise, and everyone had a great time.

I won't repeat the help numerous people have given in the meantime, but suffice it to say that the boarding time given during on-line check-in was non-binding for people on Disney's bus transfer service. The Disney bus transfer led them right into the terminal, and they boarded right away. It was a pretty flawless process on both ends. They did see some lines of people who made their own way to the terminal.

I still don't appreciate that there's no notice of boarding time assignment in the language advocating on-line check-in. For us, the boarding time caused us some unnecessary concern, and I feel for anyone that struggles to adjust their arrangements to accommodate the new time on such short notice.

My wife's only complaint was about "Villains Tonight," since we don't support celebrating Hades in general.

Great trip, but too fast. :)

Thanks to all.

They've returned from the cruise, and everyone had a great time.

I won't repeat the help numerous people have given in the meantime, but suffice it to say that the boarding time given during on-line check-in was non-binding for people on Disney's bus transfer service. The Disney bus transfer led them right into the terminal, and they boarded right away. It was a pretty flawless process on both ends. They did see some lines of people who made their own way to the terminal.

I still don't appreciate that there's no notice of boarding time assignment in the language advocating on-line check-in. For us, the boarding time caused us some unnecessary concern, and I feel for anyone that struggles to adjust their arrangements to accommodate the new time on such short notice.

My wife's only complaint was about "Villains Tonight," since we don't support celebrating Hades in general.

Great trip, but too fast. :)

Thanks to all.

Thank you for reporting back. Glad to hear you had a great cruise. Hope your transition back to land life is smooth.:)

Have a great trip, Bunkie!

Hope you come back & tell us all about it...

Thanks! Check in was perfect as I expected. Can't imagine that Disney would leave that unplanned.

Cruise was too short, for us waaaay too many screaming children (they're tired put them in for a nap) but the ship is magnificent.

• 2 weeks later...
We haven't even gotten on board, and we're already not cruising Disney Cruise Lines again! Early check-in is not just so you don't have to fill out paperwork on site. They tie your boarding time into how soon you check in on-line! :eek: There is no mention of that in the boarding materials. We never experienced this with Royal Caribbean and Princess. The worst thing is that we booked our bus transfers through them, and they automatically entered our flights into our account. They know that my wife and kids arrive at the port at noon, but they'll sit on the sidewalk for two and a half hours in the hot Florida sun before they're let in! BEWARE. :mad:

That's ashame you would COMPLETELY count your ENTIRE cruise experience based solely on check-in. Everyone else would like to get on board too. Determine your entire experience AFTER your cruise. And as I see you changed your tune to the rest of the cruise. I'm glad you had a great experience.

Sorry if I come across harsh but I get so frustrated with people who jump to swearing off a cruise line at one small issue then come vent on here as a first time poster.

That's ashame you would COMPLETELY count your ENTIRE cruise experience based solely on check-in. Everyone else would like to get on board too. Determine your entire experience AFTER your cruise. And as I see you changed your tune to the rest of the cruise. I'm glad you had a great experience.

Sorry if I come across harsh but I get so frustrated with people who jump to swearing off a cruise line at one small issue then come vent on here as a first time poster.

Did you read their follow-up post? They had a great cruise.

:)

Archived