My 1st Post, My 1st Cruise

smplyblessed619

Hey there, welcome aboard these boards and welcome to cruising! Hubby and I love it! Now to your questions: seasickness does not have much to do with where you are on the ship -- it depends on two things basically (1) how much motion there is in the ocean (even the big stable ships can rock and roll in the right weather) and (2) how sensitive you are to that motion. If concerned, visit your doc and get a seasickness patch. Packing: I always throw everything I "think" I will need on the bed, then put about half of it away! Choose separates that will go together to extend your "looks" without extending your baggage and leave room for stuff you will want to buy. Balcony vs window: Again, depends on personal preference. Are you a person who needs/likes/wants fresh air at any time? Then the balcony choice is the right one for you. Either window or balcony will let in daylight, which is nice. We usually go for the interior as we never spend that much time in the room except when we fall into that lovely crisp, freshly made bed each night!

Hello! I am a long-time lurker here before deciding we really do want to go on our first cruise! We are doing the SAME itinerary as you, but in January 2013. I cannot wait!! I think even hubby and the kids are tired of hearing me talk about it, so CC is a great outlet for like-minded folks. I expect a review when you come back as it will be just before I cruise!!

Yay!!! I was between Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman or Nassau/Freeport/HMC when my PVP mentioned this itinerary (I hadn't noticed it prior)...I was wanting to get more 'bang for my buck' and it just fit. My cruise buddies didn't mind, they just wanted to know how much & when ((which is a recurring theme as I'm still planning this pre-cruise transp. etc. lol)).

I will most definitely be doing a review! I read all of the ones on here and get so excited - even if it's not the ship or itinerary. :D And I've always been one to snap a ton of pics, so don't worry...they'll be plenty of those also.

I get horribly seasick and find that I do much better up on deck, in the fresh air. So having a balcony may help that.

I start taking Bonine a night or two before the cruise. I take it at night so that I don't suffer from any drowsiness (if there is any). If we are having rough seas, I take another 1/2 tablet.

Welcome to CC!!

My Mom said she'll be taking some of the seasick meds a few days before just in case. And since this is my first cruise, I think I may as well. Never can be too safe, I'd hate to be seasick my first cruise & miserable :-/

As long as you wear your bullet proof suit, you should be fine.;)

LOL so I've noticed...folks don't bother me, so I think I'll be fine...but I do have a pink one in lay-away just in case. haha

Welcome to Cruise Critic on congrats on booking your first cruise.

DH and I have only been in Balcony cabins and I'm prone to mild sea sickness. I don't think the balcony has anything to do with whether you will be sea sick. Plus, you will be all over the ship. Today's modern ships have great stabilizers so for the most part you won't feel much rocking (weather can change that). That said, some people do feel a difference mid ship vs forward or aft; higher decks vs lower ones.

There are many options for sea sickness - one is sea bands (cloth bracelets that use acupressure to work (OTC at any drug store); dramamine and bonine both have non-drowsy versions available. If someone knows for a fact that they will be sea sick, then your doctor can prescribe a patch that is worn behind the ear. You can also get the dramamine or bonine from the purser on the ship if you are not prepared.

One idea to avoid some queasiness is not to look down at the water - look across, but not straight down. I do sit on the balcony and read or watch the 'world' go by, but i don't stand and look straight down at the water.

Good luck and enjoy.

Debbi

That's a good tip...b/c I was surely going to stand at the deck and stare down ((the color of the water & how it changes amazes me)) but I'll try to remember not to stare too long. Thanks for taking the time to reply as well.

Hey there, welcome aboard these boards and welcome to cruising! Hubby and I love it! Now to your questions: seasickness does not have much to do with where you are on the ship -- it depends on two things basically (1) how much motion there is in the ocean (even the big stable ships can rock and roll in the right weather) and (2) how sensitive you are to that motion. If concerned, visit your doc and get a seasickness patch. Packing: I always throw everything I "think" I will need on the bed, then put about half of it away! Choose separates that will go together to extend your "looks" without extending your baggage and leave room for stuff you will want to buy. Balcony vs window: Again, depends on personal preference. Are you a person who needs/likes/wants fresh air at any time? Then the balcony choice is the right one for you. Either window or balcony will let in daylight, which is nice. We usually go for the interior as we never spend that much time in the room except when we fall into that lovely crisp, freshly made bed each night!

Thanks for the welcome!!! I thought about interior for future cruises if there was a savings...but unless the upgrade fairy calls (I'm crossing my toes & fingers) then OV it is :D. My PVP showed me how to get as close to a mid-ship cabin without paying for it...so we're literally one door away from paying add'l monies....I love to save a buck! haha. PS-My PVP was awesome!

Yay!!! I was between Ochos Rios & Grand Cayman or Nassau/Freeport/HMC when my PVP mentioned this itinerary (I hadn't noticed it prior)...I was wanting to get more 'bang for my buck' and it just fit. My cruise buddies didn't mind, they just wanted to know how much & when ((which is a recurring theme as I'm still planning this pre-cruise transp. etc. lol)).

I will most definitely be doing a review! I read all of the ones on here and get so excited - even if it's not the ship or itinerary. :D And I've always been one to snap a ton of pics, so don't worry...they'll be plenty of those also.

My Mom said she'll be taking some of the seasick meds a few days before just in case. And since this is my first cruise, I think I may as well. Never can be too safe, I'd hate to be seasick my first cruise & miserable :-/

The Bonine is wonderful and I have never gotten sick while taking it. I usually start 2 nights before the cruise due to travel to the port. FYI - only take ONE pill. The one time I thought I would rather be safe than sorry and took 2, I slept during sail away... lol!

My husband and I are going on our first cruise with our friends. We can't wait! I just want to say that I really enjoy coming to this site and reading all the different posts. I find it very helpful and interesting!!! I can't wait to write my first review after our cruise! Thank you all very much!

Kathy

My husband and I are going on our first cruise with our friends. We can't wait! I just want to say that I really enjoy coming to this site and reading all the different posts. I find it very helpful and interesting!!! I can't wait to write my first review after our cruise! Thank you all very much!

Kathy

How exciting!!! Welcome to CC!!!

Kathy

Welcpme to cruise critic and have a great cruise.

Kathy

Yes, welcome to CC! :)

Archived