Which deck to book and why on the Majic?

daveandrebecca

We will be booking our cruise soon on the Majic. I have cruised once before, this will be my wifes 3rd. My question is why do cruise lines charge you a upcharge the higher you book on a ship? In other words what is the attraction to booking a stateroom on the upper decks? Do you notice less rocking up there?

Aside from that we were thinking on trying a cove balcony room. Any recommendations on a room that is quiet? As in no noise from above?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Upper decks are closer to the popular spots on the boat (for most people).

The higher the more rocking.

As for choosing a room check out the Deck Plan and then...

Choosing A Cabin

• If ship movement is a concern:
    • The best place is Midship and Lower Decks.
    • The worst place is Forward on the Upper Decks, followed by Aft on the Upper Decks.

[*]If noise is a concern:

• If possible choose a cabin that has cabins both above and below it. This will save you from a lot of adjacent room noise, especially from busy public areas (i.e. Lido Deck, Theatre, Night Club, Galley).
    • Watch out for "Empty Space". When looking at the ships deck plans you will see empty (unlabeled) space next to and across from some rooms. These are typically closets/storage for the room stewards, which translates into noise very early in the morning and throughout the day!
    • Rooms near the elevator's and stairs will get more foot traffic passing by and conversations in the hall.
    • Engine noise and vibration can be an issue on lower decks in the Aft of the ship. Not always but it is something to think about it.

[*]Rooms with balconies:

• The forward balcony rooms (first 1/4 of the ship or so) will have a lot more wind than those further back. Some balconies near the very front will be very cool and extremely windy most of the time.
    • Aft balconies will tend to have no wind at all. They can get hot quickly.
    • All side balconies will get a breeze, even the ones near the back of the ship.

See links in my signature below for a lot of good information on cruising Carnival.

Sailed on Dream, sister ship, last July. While we enjoyed the outside promenade on deck 5, be aware that it extends outward from the ship such that looking down from balcony cabins, you are seeing the outside promenade. The two spas (hot tubs) on each side of the ship extend even further outward. I mention this because a balcony cabin on deck 6, and maybe even 7, have little balcony privacy. We were on deck 10 and forward of the furthest forward spa, and had no privacy issues.

The cove balcony cabins were awesome however, and we will likely book that category next time. If you choose the cove category, be careful to get one sufficiently forward or aft to be under a dining room, as opposed to the galley. Potential for lots of noise from the galley.

We will be booking our cruise soon on the Majic. I have cruised once before, this will be my wifes 3rd. My question is why do cruise lines charge you a upcharge the higher you book on a ship? In other words what is the attraction to booking a stateroom on the upper decks? Do you notice less rocking up there?

Aside from that we were thinking on trying a cove balcony room. Any recommendations on a room that is quiet? As in no noise from above?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

The lower and more center of the ship equals less rocking. The higher decks have the better views from the balcony's. and are closer to the pool, spa and lunch buffet as well as the lido deck activities. If you are getting a balcony, do not book Deck 6. The Promanade is just below and you will not have much privacy, especially if you are near one of the hot tubs or chess sets.:(

We were in an ocean suite on deck 7 and loved it. Because there are cabins aobve and below you it was very quite. However. the balcony did overook the deck (with the hot tub) and was not directly over the water. Since this was a very port intensive Med cruise we really didn't spend much time on the balcony so it was no biggie.

We just got off the Magic last Sunday and had a cove balcony on the 2nd floor. Can't say enough good things about it. Private, quiet, great views, convenient to lobby, dining room and promenade. So close to the water that you get sea spray if you stick your head out.

We would always book a cove balcony if available..talked to many more experienced cruisers and they all agreed.

Archived