Early Saver vs Past Guest rates

PhotogalMB

Ok, we're back from our first cruise (Freedom) and ready to book the next one on Victory. In looking at the rates I see that Early Saver is less than Past Guest and PG says "with upgrades" is the $40+pp difference for past guest worth paying in hopes I will get an upgrade? We were in and inside cabin midship on Verandah on Freedom and liked the location. Thought about getting a balcony but don't know if it is worth the price difference since our friends have a balcony suite and we figure on hanging out on their balcony. Any thoughts or advise? I tend to get "queasy" although I didn't get sick (took bonine, ginger gum and ate green apples) so I don't know about an aft balcony and I don't want to go any lower than 7 where our friends will be. Should we go with the inside where we were last cruise using ES rates or if we book inside with PG is there a chance we will be upgraded to a balcony

Ok, we're back from our first cruise (Freedom) and ready to book the next one on Victory. In looking at the rates I see that Early Saver is less than Past Guest and PG says "with upgrades" is the $40+pp difference for past guest worth paying in hopes I will get an upgrade? We were in and inside cabin midship on Verandah on Freedom and liked the location. Thought about getting a balcony but don't know if it is worth the price difference since our friends have a balcony suite and we figure on hanging out on their balcony. Any thoughts or advise? I tend to get "queasy" although I didn't get sick (took bonine, ginger gum and ate green apples) so I don't know about an aft balcony and I don't want to go any lower than 7 where our friends will be. Should we go with the inside where we were last cruise using ES rates or if we book inside with PG is there a chance we will be upgraded to a balcony

Its very doubtful you will get upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony. If you want the balcony, book it a rate you are comfortable with. Remember the penalty's with early saver if you cancel. Also, 4 people on a balcony of a regular balcony cabin on Carnival is pretty impossible unless you move the chairs into the cabin. The four of you would need to rotate your balcony time..

Its very doubtful you will get upgraded from an inside cabin to a balcony. If you want the balcony, book it a rate you are comfortable with. Remember the penalty's with early saver if you cancel. Also, 4 people on a balcony of a regular balcony cabin on Carnival is pretty impossible unless you move the chairs into the cabin. The four of you would need to rotate your balcony time..

I agree 100%...Things have changed and the chance of you getting an upgrade is slim to none. Typically they now call you and offer you a great deal to move up, but you still have to pay something.

My feeling is BOOK what you want now, expecially way early, and this is the best way to get the best rate for the room you want

When you book a Past Guest rate the upgrades are within the category. I just checked the Victory for October 14, 2012 and there are Past Guest rates. You know what the upgrade will be because if you book a 4A category then you're getting a 4C, or book a 4C and get a 4E, or a 6A to a 6C, etc. If you can live within the guidelines of Early Saver then I would book that. The ES prices are cheaper right now and the prices could go down even after final payment. You could end up matching to a Past Guest rate after the Early Saver rates are gone 5 months prior to sailing. The only way you could possibly get an upgrade is by booking a Fun Saver (guarantee) rate where you book the type of cabin (inside, ocean view, balcony) and Carnival picks the actual cabin and even then it is usually still within that category. Other types of upgrades are very rare.

Archived