Spa on the Dawn

I was wondering how the spa is on the Dawn? My wife and I want to get massages (never had them) and wanted to know if the spa is good. Also how much do you tip per person for a massage?

Norwegian Dawn 6/20/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;20;10;59;00&timezone=GMT-0500

The spa is great on the Dawn! It is huge and there is a huge selection of massages.

Helpful hint if you are staying on board while docked. They offer discounts for these times.

As far as tipping goes, there is an automatic 15% gratuity fee. You can tip beyond that if you would like.

icon_smile.gif

CCL Festivale '89

Tropicale '90, Ecstasy '91

Destiny '96, Triumph '99

Celebrity Zenith '00 & '01

CCL Pride '02, NCL Dawn '03

NCL Majesty '04

I just got back from the Dawn last week. The spa had a large number of options. (manicures, pedicures, hot rock massage, different wraps, facials). On our cruise at 6:00 p.m. they had a open house at the spa where your could look around and enter to win prizes. They raffeled off about 5 different treatments. You needed to be present to win. I won a 25 minute head, neck and back massage.( Because the two people they picked before me were not present) Brigit gave me the massage and I would highly recommend her. She spent fifteen minutes working a huge knot put of my back. I tried to extend to an hour but they penciled someone in after our massage started so it was not meant to be.

The spa aslo has two hot tubs and a lap pool. It was often hard to actually do laps in the pool because people were just standing there. The square hot tub has what I would describe as a lounge chairs in it. You recline inside and there are jets all down your body. It was very relaxing. There are also lounge chairs facing a wall of windows. Very beautiful. In Port Canavrial I saw dolphins swimming around the ship. However, there are chair hogs everywhere on board.

If you give reception your room key they will give you a key for a locker where you can put your things. THere is no extra charge to use the pool, hot tubs or for the lockers. Also no one under 18 is allowed so you don't have children using the hot tubs like swimming pools like they do at the main pool.

I also had a massage on the beach. I would not recommend it. I was very disappointed. The spa shack is in the middle of the activities and it was not relaxing at all. It was noisy. You had strange men looking at you. They massaged three people at at a time and only one of the tables had a head rest. My neck was actually stiffer after my massage than before. They also did not have any one posted at the shack to keep people away or answer questions. I had Four people come up to my table and ask the massaue(?) how much the massage costs. (It was $59 for 1/2 hour) Very difficult to relax. I would have been extemely upset if I had not won a massage. ALso when I saw the way it was set -up I would have cancelled, but you are charged 1/2 the price of the treatment. ( I beleive you had to give them 24 hours notice not to be charged)

Finally, they seemed to have pretty good sepicals the last day of the cruise. If you wait you can save your self some money.

They add 15% tip automatically, hpwever there is an area to add an additional tip if you wish.

[This message was edited by jenhall11 on 05-11-04 at 09:55 AM.]

I also highly recommend the spa on the Dawn. I had the hot stone massage and it was wonderful. The prices are fairly high but as someone else pointed out there are specials on port days so if there is one port you don't feel you need to spend all day at that is the time to go.

Archived