Is Box Wine ok to carry on?

MarieAtSea

Boxed wine is never OK. :D

I wouldn't go that far..... I actually like Black Box as an "every day" wine and it's a lot easier (and lighter) than bringing 4 bottles! Just because it's in a box doesn't make it bad. However, my parents drink Almaden boxed wine and that is just gross!

I only drink white, so I can't testify to the taste of the reds.

The present wine glut in Australia has meant that boxed/carton wine quality has improved out of sight. The smaller cartons have the better quality wine (e.g.2 litre boxes.) Reds are equal in quality to the whites in my opinion. So if you are sailing in our waters, boxed is a recommended way to go.

The present wine glut in Australia has meant that boxed/carton wine quality has improved out of sight. The smaller cartons have the better quality wine (e.g.2 litre boxes.) Reds are equal in quality to the whites in my opinion. So if you are sailing in our waters, boxed is a recommended way to go.

Just one more excellent reason to visit!:D

Oh I can't imagine that happening!!! That must really, really suck!

But going on the ship, why bring any alchohol on a plane with you? Why not buy everything you want to bring on board in the departure port?

Well my rational is that I live in northern CA so I have access to all the wines from the Napa valley & from Sonoma. I don't know if the wines available say in Florida, would be comparable. That's why I take my wine on the airplane.

Reasonable quality Australian 2 liter casks available around the $10-13 range in chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon. I enjoy Californian wines also, when I am in the US. Haven't tasted wines from Florida.

Reasonable quality Australian 2 liter casks available around the $10-13 range in chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon. I enjoy Californian wines also, when I am in the US. Haven't tasted wines from Florida.

Oh, no!!!! Don't ever drink a wine that was made in Florida!!:eek: The only grapes that are grown are muscadine style it is gross! Worse than manischevitz!

Treven, I don't blame you. My niece lives in St Helena (Napa) and brings wines for us that our stores don't carry because the vineyards make a limited number of bottles for local distribution only.

Oh, no!!!! Don't ever drink a wine that was made in Florida!!:eek: The only grapes that are grown are muscadine style it is gross! Worse than manischevitz!

Treven, I don't blame you. My niece lives in St Helena (Napa) and brings wines for us that our stores don't carry because the vineyards make a limited number of bottles for local distribution only.

I remember when growing up <teens, for thanksgiving and x-mas, my family would serve Mogen David wine. After I got old enough, I always wondered why they served that as we weren't Jewish.

I remember when growing up <teens, for thanksgiving and x-mas, my family would serve Mogen David wine. After I got old enough, I always wondered why they served that as we weren't Jewish.

Hahahaha!!! Yes, but just think how much appreciation you have now for good wine in comparison! Funny... I thought only Jewish people drank Mogan David. I never heard of it until I was a young adult and went to this older woman's house. She asked if I'd like to have a glass of wine with her. I was happy to accept, but nearly blew it out when I tasted it! :eek: I kept my composure, but sipped VERY s..l..o...w...l...y! A half of a glass lasted me an hour!

Thanks for the warning. Australians tend to drink drier white wines than I tasted in the US or Germany. Grape juice of the sickly sweet variety I avoid.

New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc wines from the Marlborough and Hawke's Bay Regions are enjoying a stellar run in Australia at present.

Archived