TOURS - NCL Hawaii in Jan Need Help Plse.

cruisecrasy

icon_confused.gif Hope someone can post and assist me with choosing whether or not to bookships tours, off the pier when we arrive in port, go it alone on foot or rent a vehicle or even in advance by internet or phone or any other suggestions? Have been in Honolulu many times but nowhere else. Especially interested in the volcanos. Many thanks for taking your valuable time to post your experiences. Happy cruisin'! icon_cool.gif

It's up to you on what you choose (on your own or not). You will probably save some money doing things on your own, but we opted for ship tours (didn't want any hassle). Also sometimes the ship changes pors/itineraries (it did on our cruise) and if you make your own arrangements you may end up with penalties or the hassle to make changes while on the ship. We took the Volcano National Park tour through NCL and liked it... we took the less expensive one and were happy, those who took the more expensive van tour with the possibility of seeing lava (they didn't) said they really did not see more than we did.

We took the Kaanapali Beach break in Kahalui and had a blast, thhey take you to the Sheraton... it is closer to take this tour in Lahaina (but we weren't originally scheduled for Lahaina, but did end up there).

In Kauai our catamaran got canceled so we took a cab to Poipu Beach and it was fabulous, much nicer than the beach they take you to for free. The cost was $35 each way (but we were in a mini-van and 7 of us split the cost). The cab driver came back when we asked. Poipu beach has some waves (but way more calm than Kaanapali Beach) and has picnic tables, shaded areas, great snorkeling, snack bar and rest room facilites... oh and wild chickens (yes wild chicken,s but they weren't bothersome). This was my favorite place of the whole trip.

My mom and sister said Lahaina had the best shopping and it was located just off the ship ( I did not get off there, tender port and we wanted to stay on-board).

Hope the information helps, feel free to contact me should you have any other questions!

Cruisecrasy,

Keep in mind that when you are in Hawaii you are in the US of A. So, car renting, driving rules, etc, are all easy and your regular insurance will cover you.

When we went on Wind two years ago we bought an airfare/car rental deal that gave us cars on most all of the Islands along with discount airfare on United Airlines. This was through an hawaiian specialty travel broker.

I can tell you, we really appreciated being on our own, especially on the Volcano. We came and went as we pleased, drove to the top and saw the crater, and then drove all the way down to the flow and stood about 1/2 mile away as it entered the water.

We still had time to drive back to Hilo and stoop off for a hawaiian Shave ice before reboarding the ship with 45 minutes to spare.

We also had a car in Kona, where we did our own tour to the Place of Refuge, a Coffee plantation and for snorkeling at Two Step. Once again, even with the car return all the way back past Kialua at the airport we had time to shop in town and (once again) get a shave ice, LOL.

On Kuai we had a car and had more of the same with a trip first in one direction to see a water falls, soem shopping at an open are market and a stop for malasadas (little fried donuts), then back the other way to poipu beach for some sunning and snorkeling. This time we got our shave ice at the beach.

Doing it on your own is just an extension of FREE STYLE!! But, be sure to wear a watch and to give yourself at least an extra hour on your estimate of how long you'll be gone. Doing it on your own is fun (and more affordable) but missing the ship is neither.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

We did our own in Hilo - rented a car, etc. Loved seeing the volcano on our own. Did Tubing the Ditch with the ship in Kawaui and Loved it and would highly recommended. Booked our own heli tour in Kawaui- paid less than we would have through the ship but more than another NCL Star couple who bought it from a vendor in town!

Driving in Hawaii is very easy. The roads are great and the people are very friendly. I wouldn't hesitate to rent a car and explore on my own again.

Archived