Too late to ask?

I booked & paid for my cruise (Conquest 7/3/05) using an agent from *****.com I have not heard from him since, and don't expect too since my cruise is paid for. Is it too late to find out about any price adjustments or decreased fares? How would I find out if the fare is decreased and what would I do then? Fornada@aol.com

Check some of the other internet web sites that advertise on the front page and along the side or at the top of the cruise critic site. Most of them have search engines to check for cruises either by cruise line, ship or date.

Then if the price has gone significantly call your TA and try to get them to match it.

Here are some prices from one of them for your cruise.

Inside guarantee $949

Outside guarantee $1099

Balcony guarantee $1299

Suite guarantee $1849

Hope it helps.

Have a great next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

We used a TA to book a cruise for us a while back, and after we made our final payment, I checked online and found out that the price of our cabin had dropped. We tried to get our TA on the phone, but he was "conveniently" out of the country at the time. We called the cruise line ourselves and, after much discussion, they adjusted our cruise rate and rebated $700. Our TA was pretty ticked off when he returned, because that meant a drop in his commission. We paid him the difference in the commission, but I will NEVER use that TA again! I've booked the last two or three cruises myself, but I'm toying with the idea of using a TA for the next one, because they belong to a consortium and may be able to get better rates than I've been getting.

Personally, I would not have paid the TA the difference in commission. The TA is supposed to get you the best price; a good TA would have told you about the price drop. As a result, instead of losing a few dollars in commission, he has lost all of your future business. Not a good trade off for him, IMO.

To the original poster:It's rare for prices to go down during peak seasons (summer, holidays.....any time kids are out of school). In fact, prices tend to increase. We've never had a price drop on our cruises (all in peak periods). Also, since you have already made final payment, a drop in price, if it does happen, will not necessarily mean you will be credited. It doesn't hurt to ask, but there's no guarantee that you'll get it. (if the price does drop, it will probably only be offered to new bookings to sell off the few remaining cabins).

We called the cruise line ourselves and, after much discussion, they adjusted our cruise rate and rebated $700. .

I am very surprised that the cruise lines did this. I must say that this is the first time ever that I heard the cruiselines changing a reservation with a passenger who booked with an agent. Some agents do not offer price reductions after final payment comes due. (again that is why I am surprised the cruise lines did this= they do not know the policy of the agent)

I am wondering = if you cant get a hold of an agent== could you just ask the cruiselines to fax you confirmation of that price decrease

How would I find out if the fare is decreased and what would I do then? Fornada@aol.com

I have had only one cruise come down in price. All the rest sailed at least 250.pp more then what we paid. A july 3rd sailing?? PRIME time peak season plus its a holiday week... dont count on that price coming down.

May I ask WHY you paid the TA the difference? You already paid him and the fact the price went down and he or someone in his office didn't "fix" it is THEIR problem, not yours! I am floored that he would even bring it up AND that you would pay it!

My Aunt owned an agency for 6 years and she said she would have been more than shocked had one of her agents even mentioned it to you! She sold her buisness when it became clear one could find as good - if not better - rates on the Internet. Yes agencies can block rooms and get a good rate but so can the Internet sites This is especially true on last minute deals:rolleyes: !

We paid him the difference in the commission, but I will NEVER use that TA again!

You did WHAT? You're kidding, right? :rolleyes: You didn't owe him a penny.

Archived