size of baggage scanner at port

spunkie4

It's time for new luggage. Considering something bigger than our carry-on (22") but smaller than our large suitcase.

Does anyone know, or have had experience with, the size of luggage that will fit through the scanner at cruise port.

Thanks.

Shirley

For carryon luggage, the scanners are the same size at the airport. Length is not a problem for a ship but height and width must meet same size requirements as airport scanners.

thanks for your response.

I Googled the TSA scanners prior to starting this thread, but can't seem to find one with measurements.

I am in hopes someone will have experience with this and include the measurements of their luggage.

Shirley

thanks for your response.

I Googled the TSA scanners prior to starting this thread, but can't seem to find one with measurements.

I am in hopes someone will have experience with this and include the measurements of their luggage.

Shirley

Try going to individual airline website and reading their carryon restrictions. They all give permitted size of carryon. Length for cruise ships is not your issue....... you have to be concerned with height and width.

You might consider a duffel bag. They are usually narrower and longer than a typical suitcase. They can be deeper, depending on how you pack. Some have wheels, some don't.

The maximum size for a carry on piece (airline) of luggage is 22". The next size up would be 24". The thing is, the width and the depth of the pieces increase as the height does and other than duffels, a long narrow suitcase just isn't typically made, at least I've never seen one in 4 years of working in a luggage store.

Your experience at the port terminal may be that the staff doesn't pay any attention to you, or they make you return to the baggage drop off area and check through your bag. If you are able to pack everything into a 22" case you will be able to proceed right through.

Just remember that if you are cruising on a line that does not have the cabins ready before 1-1:30 pm you will have to keep all hand luggage with you.

You might consider a duffel bag. They are usually narrower and longer than a typical suitcase. They can be deeper, depending on how you pack. Some have wheels, some don't.

The maximum size for a carry on piece (airline) of luggage is 22". The next size up would be 24". The thing is, the width and the depth of the pieces increase as the height does and other than duffels, a long narrow suitcase just isn't typically made, at least I've never seen one in 4 years of working in a luggage store.

Your experience at the port terminal may be that the staff doesn't pay any attention to you, or they make you return to the baggage drop off area and check through your bag. If you are able to pack everything into a 22" case you will be able to proceed right through.

Just remember that if you are cruising on a line that does not have the cabins ready before 1-1:30 pm you will have to keep all hand luggage with you.

thanks for responding.

I don't mind the wait if the room is not ready. We usually arrive around 1, so our wait is minimal.

The size I am researching will not be used for airline travel, just when we drive to the cruise port. It would be nice to have something just a little larger than our 22" that we normally carry.

Shirley

thanks for responding.

I don't mind the wait if the room is not ready. We usually arrive around 1, so our wait is minimal.

The size I am researching will not be used for airline travel, just when we drive to the cruise port. It would be nice to have something just a little larger than our 22" that we normally carry.

Shirley

Shirley,

I'll try again as I don't seem to be expressing this well.

The 22" is not the issue. Your suitcase can be double the 22" and even more in LENGTH. It can be as reasonably long as you wish.

For airlines, 22" is the longest it can be; not so for a ship.

For the ship, you must pay attention to HEIGHT AND WIDTH.

Did you research at any airline website? If you do, it will give you maximum height, length and width permitted. Those are the numbers you need to pay attention to.........HEIGHT AND WIDTH. Any (reasonable) length will be fine. The HEIGHT AND WIDTH limitations that apply for airline travel, also apply for security scanning on ships as that is the size that must fit in the scanner.

Think of the conveyor belt that rolls under the x-ray. Anything you bring aboard has to fit within the sides, left to right, and it has to fit within the height, top to bottom.

I hope this is more understandable.

If not, I'm happy to try again. :)

GO do your research.

Take your pick: Read America Airlines, Read Delta, Read Jet Blue......read any airline website you select. The measurement for domestic carriers are pretty much the same with some variance.

thanks for responding.

Shirley

For DCL, the carryon specification is 22X14X9. Don't know about any others.

For DCL, the carryon specification is 22X14X9. Don't know about any others.

That is the standard size of a 22" carry on. There are some shorter, yet wider that still conform to the max 45 linear inch maximum.

I don't think I was real clear with my original answer. Any other standard sized suitcase will probably not be accepted as it would be too wide/deep.

That is the standard size of a 22" carry on. There are some shorter, yet wider that still conform to the max 45 linear inch maximum.

I don't think I was real clear with my original answer. Any other standard sized suitcase will probably not be accepted as it would be too wide/deep.

Thank you for your response.

Shirley

I personally have taken a bag that was larger than the official carry on size at several ports here in Florida. The bag measures 29"x20" and 11-12" deep, it just has to fit through the scanner. I am going to add a word of caution however, in Miami a rather officious guard told me the bag was too big before I entered the terminal and told me I would have to check it. I explained to him that I had used the same bag at the same terminal on the same ship just the month before without any problems. He relented and let me in and told me that I would be back. No problems encountered. I related this same story in another CC thread and a poster said in their case they were not even permitted in the terminal even though they had used that bag as carry on previously. They had to check it.

You should not have an issue if it is just a little over regulation carry on size, going too big may cause some static.

Good Luck..........

Archived