How many are travelling without passports for their kids

KristenFMR920

I don't see what 5 years vs. 10 years has to do with child abduction. A valid passport is a valid passport, regardless of age. Once issued (or even before that), the non-abducting parent has very little recourse.

The requirements for both parents to approve the issuance of the passport is a poor attempt to prevent parental abduction. Once a passport is issued, the United Stated has no exit controls.

The Dept. of State webpage on child abduction says:

http://travel.state.gov/abduction/prevention/passportissuance/passportissuance_554.html

Note that even if the court is holding the passport, the other parent could claim it was lost and get another one issued. That would require more than a little bit of fraud, but someone who would steal a child is hardly going to worry about that.

Also, there is an alert system for child passport issuance (also on that page), but there is no guarantee that a passport won't be issued even in that case.

I believe there are more children who do not have passports than children who do. So, if the parent are getting divorce one parent can not get a passport for the child without the othe parents knowledge. I think 5 years is too long, but I can understand those who require passports don't want to renew every 2-3 years. I think the shorter expriation is smart because if you got your child a passport 4 years ago and are filing for divorce, it would be expiring in a year then hopefully you won't renew it after that if there is a fear of abduction. It does not prevent all abduction case, but the intent is good.

but arent you required to travel with the 'absent parent letter' if the child has two parents listed?

or is that just certian countrys?

I am not sure what you are referring to. If the child has a passport, that is all that is required.

There are good reasons kids passports expire every 5 years instead of 10. In a way 5 years can be too long based on the reasoning. The reason was to prevent one parent from taking the child out of the country.

I thought it was simply because children's appearance changes so much, so quickly, that the passports have to be re-issued every 5 years to keep pace. Imagine if the period of validity were 10 years, like for adults, and you got a passport for your 2 yo toddler; then when you used it 9 years later, when he was 11, the face on the picture would hardly resemble the tweener who was using it.

but arent you required to travel with the 'absent parent letter' if the child has two parents listed?

or is that just certian countrys?

I'm not sure what you mean by "two parents listed." A passport has no parents lists. I guess BC can have only one parent listed, but I don't know how that would be perceived.

I believe there are more children who do not have passports than children who do. So, if the parent are getting divorce one parent can not get a passport for the child without the othe parents knowledge. I think 5 years is too long, but I can understand those who require passports don't want to renew every 2-3 years. I think the shorter expriation is smart because if you got your child a passport 4 years ago and are filing for divorce, it would be expiring in a year then hopefully you won't renew it after that if there is a fear of abduction. It does not prevent all abduction case, but the intent is good.

Still: 1 year or 10 years, I don't see that it matters. The passport is going to be valid for some duration after the divorce. In that case I would secure the passport in a safe deposit box (or just destroy it outright) and register the child under the passport issuance alert program. I'd also ask the court for supervised visitation, etc... as you say there is no way to prevent all avenues of escape for someone who is determined.

I agree that at least the intent is there, but I'd guess the State Dept's hands are tied by law.

In fact, I think the fact that you cannot renew a child's passport (you must apply for a new one) is probably the best step. This way, both parents are required to show up every time a passport is issued.

LOL. I still use the term renew although yes they say children's passports can not be renewed. I guess this keeps people from looking at the renewal rules vs. first time issue.

Here is a true story. Back when we were stationed in Korea from 2000 - 2003 my husband's boss had his son (he was like 10 years old) fly over for a few weeks in the summer for his summer vist. He was divorced from the child's mom. The boy wore the thing around his neck that carried his passport, wallet, military ID, etc to the summer day camp and it was lost. The son ended up having to stay in country longer than planned because he had to get all the documents mailed to him from his mom with her absentee letter (I am not sure of official term), etc.

I also have known parents to do the absentee letter because they could not get off work to go to the passport office.

I don't find it that much of a hassle to go to the passport office. My passport office makes appointments. ;) If you have all your documents ready, it is only a couple hours out the day.

Reference the picture. My two youngest kids got passports right after birth and it was such a cute photo! So even 6-12 months later they looked nothing like their picture. Both were born in Korea (at the military hospital on base) and at the time it was a requirement to take the baby to the US Embassy in Seoul to get their passport. I think they gave you 1 or 2 weeks to do this. Now, we have a passport agent who works across the hall from me who does do newborn passports to the parents do not have to drive to Seoul. :)

Some countries require that a traveler’s U.S. passport be valid at least six months or longer beyond the dates of the trip. In addition, with the number of international child custody cases on the rise, several countries have instituted passport requirements to help prevent child abductions. (Mexican law, for example, requires a child traveling alone, or with only one parent, or in someone else's custody, to carry written, notarized consent from the absent parent or parents if the child is not in possession of a U.S. passport.) Contact the embassy of the foreign destination for more information. A listing of foreign embassies and consulates in the U.S. is available on the Department of State’s website at(State Dept Travel Website)

Letter of Consent to Travel...

didnt know if this was all countries or just some... looks like just some...

DS is 10 months old and we are cruising in 10 days (not that I am counting). he got his passport at 6 months old. Better to be safe than sorry. And really, in the grand scheme of things, how much money does it really cost? For me, it is WELL worth peace of mind...

I also have known parents to do the absentee letter because they could not get off work to go to the passport office.

Yep, we actually did this... there is a specific form on the Dept of State website which has to be notarized... but I wound up having to go to the USPS anyway. There were some PS that did appointments in Austin at that time, but the wait for an open slot was several months. :eek:

We will be going on our first cruise with the girls this fall and will be using birth certificates. We are driving this time, but we have also flown with just birth certificates.

Flying is a bit different: when flying domestically minors under 16 require no identifying documentation (unless they are a lapchild or flying on a child's fare, in which case the airline may require proof of age.)

When flying internationally, everybody must have a passport regardless of age. "Closed loop" cruises are an exception when travelling internationally because passports are suggested but not required.

Letter of Consent to Travel...

didnt know if this was all countries or just some... looks like just some...

Yep, just some... but since there is no way to know if the check in agent (or even the TSA agent) will know which are which, best to have the letter. Though the TSA agent doesn't need to know since you are perfectly fine to leave the US w/o the letter, therefore you could get stuck with a part-time check in agent who has only been told to require the letter.

DS is 10 months old and we are cruising in 10 days (not that I am counting). he got his passport at 6 months old. Better to be safe than sorry. And really, in the grand scheme of things, how much money does it really cost? For me, it is WELL worth peace of mind...

Yes, and of course, the most often you cruise, the less the passport costs per trip. Another reason to cruise more often, right? :D

That's a great age to cruise at. Before they can run... :D

Bon Vovage!

Some of these responses trip me out. People say even though they would likely never need it, they would NEVER cruise without a passport. But at the same time, it's laughable and stupid if you dare mention making an "abandon ship" bag because you would likely never need it.

We don't do passports because we're not traveling anywhere that we can't get healthcare in an emergency, and we can wait a little for anything that requires us to fly home. I only did a passport CARD because this is my second marriage and it reduces the paperwork I need.

We also don't do travel insurance because we drive where we need to go, and we never drive more than 6-7 hours. We stick to short (under a week) vacations and if something ever came up (and aside from one of us getting so sick we couldn't go) I can't imagine any reason we'd miss a vacation.

• 2 weeks later...

We got them before our Disney cruise in 2006 (kids were 6 & 9) because they were recommending it & my parents had cruised about 6 months after 9/11 (Alaska but flying into Canada) & they said it made the process of getting on & off the ship easier. I saw proof of that when we got off the ship at the end of the cruise. The family next to us had BCs & Drivers Licences. We all had passports & we zoomed through the line while they took longer because of needing to verify everything.

Since that cruise we've taken 2 overseas trips & renewed the kids passports. We are going to hit a point where DDs will expire when shes 15 but if we wait until shes 16 we can renew it for 10 years instead of 5. I think we will let her 'float' without one for that year & then renew it for her one last time before she has to start paying for it herself!!

Archived