confused about various White Pass RR tours

witsend64

Help! I'm confused. I wish to book an excursion on the White Pass scenic railway, but too many choices! We are a family of six, so I don't necessarily want or need the added expense of a "bundled" package. The best rate directly off the White pass website is $113 round trip on the railway. This beats the HAL excursion price by $11 per person, but does that mean I will have to find my own transportation to the railroad? Also, are we missing out by not extending our trip into the Yukon territory? Those trips are alot more expensive from what I've been able to research.

Thanks for any advice!

The train trips are all nice and IMHO the scenery gets better the farther you go, but costs can add up fast with that large a group. I think driving into the Yukon might be a far better choice cost wise with the kids and will give you a lot more flexibilty on where to stop etc. Only issue may be getting a car that will hold 6 as options are limited in Skagway.

Help! I'm confused. I wish to book an excursion on the White Pass scenic railway, but too many choices! We are a family of six, so I don't necessarily want or need the added expense of a "bundled" package. The best rate directly off the White pass website is $113 round trip on the railway. This beats the HAL excursion price by $11 per person, but does that mean I will have to find my own transportation to the railroad? Also, are we missing out by not extending our trip into the Yukon territory? Those trips are alot more expensive from what I've been able to research.

Thanks for any advice!

With the caveat that we chose a drive only tour to Yukon... (So I am not going to speak to your direct question about the RR trip.) We are going with Beyond Skagway with Becky. There are at least two other tour groups & DIY car rentals.

The RR is within walking distance of the ships.:)

The RR is within walking distance, BUT it is a walk, if you are at the Ore Dock, or 2nd ship on the Railroad dock. Allow 15/20 minutes, with no mobility limitations.

Yes there are a number of White Pass RR tours to consider. The combo tours do offer you "more". There are basically three to choose- Combo summit which are the shortest, one way train, to Fraser/White Pass, then return 20+++ miles via the Klondike Highway back to Skagway, a couple photo stops included. Can also get other "add ons", Liarsville is one. This option does not get into the Yukon.

The same train can be combined with a Yukon road trip, that covers 75 miles one way, with a turn around at Emerald Lake, can have some inclusions- lunch, Caribou Crossing, Sled Dog contact/cart rides etc. Also makes several photo stops.

Third option is the train to Carcross, in the Yukon, via Lake Bennett. Includes a stop with lunch. Road trip same turn around point of Emerald Lake. Most scenic option.

The RR is within walking distance, BUT it is a walk, if you are at the Ore Dock, or 2nd ship on the Railroad dock. Allow 15/20 minutes, with no mobility limitations.

Yes there are a number of White Pass RR tours to consider. The combo tours do offer you "more". There are basically three to choose- Combo summit which are the shortest, one way train, to Fraser/White Pass, then return 20+++ miles via the Klondike Highway back to Skagway, a couple photo stops included. Can also get other "add ons", Liarsville is one. This option does not get into the Yukon.

The same train can be combined with a Yukon road trip, that covers 75 miles one way, with a turn around at Emerald Lake, can have some inclusions- lunch, Caribou Crossing, Sled Dog contact/cart rides etc. Also makes several photo stops.

Third option is the train to Carcross, in the Yukon, via Lake Bennett. Includes a stop with lunch. Road trip same turn around point of Emerald Lake. Most scenic option.

Hi BQ, it seems these trips are Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion! (7.5 Hours) or Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion! with Chilkoot? Correct?

Thanks!

Do you know where we could book, get more information about the third option you have mentioned here?

You should be able to book the Lake Bennett trip either thru the cruise line or liike I did with Chilkoot. The big difference on my trip was the cruise line had several rail cars all full and Chilkoot had its own car with only the dozen or so of us booked with them. Much more room to move around etc but my day may have just been a slow one. Everyone ate lunch at the same place and there was a fair amount of time to wander around lake Bennett ride back to Skagway was in a small bus with the ability to stop more often than the big cruise line buses.

It is an expensive trip but you are on the train far longer and much further into the Yukon.

Thanks for any advice!

The White Pass Railroad is right where you get off the ship. It is well worth the price.

Yukon Bus & Rail Excursion vs Carcross Bus & Rail Excursion with Chilkoot-what is the difference and which would you recommend!:confused:

Thanks!!

The train is signficantly different. The Lake Bennet train is the only way to access this area. Both tours are excellent, depending on your interests?

Archived