Cruising with Alcohol.

Wyuna1

The tipping happens on some ships, but most of us here cruise on either P&O Aust or Princess Aust where there is no tipping. Most people I know don't have a drink until at least 'Happy Hour' time, or maybe not until dinner, so a few drinks a day each would be about right.

Booze cruises where people drink all day don't appeal to us, but each to their own.:)

I still think the griping about the 'high' cost of drinks or photos or whatever is unrealistic when the initial price to go on the ship is quite low and probably only covers basic running costs of the ship. This is one reason 'specials' become available because the cruiseline wants all cabins full.:)

I too have only cruised P&O Australia but one thing I cant believe is that you have never tipped the wait staff for getting you your one or two only drinks per day:eek:

How embaressing to be in a coctail bar before dinner and not sign for a tip:o

No wonder you dont drink much they wont come near you enough to give you any more lol. (joke)

All P&O Cruises are Booze Cruises to the ones who want to booze,there is no special P&O cruises for non boozers or they would go out of business with those low cruise prices they charge!

Den

Yes, Den, the price is good. You will have plenty of cash left over to tip generously. :)

Had to pre pay my tips to Carnival at booking stage,this was thought unbelievable to US cruisers but the reason is if they dont get them now most Aussies wouldn't pay them.

Next time you have a drink brought to you on board look at the line under the first sign line,this is where you put a $ amount and sign again to tip the staff.:)

Den

Had to pre pay my tips to Carnival at booking stage,this was thought unbelievable to US cruisers but the reason is if they dont get them now most Aussies wouldn't pay them.

Next time you have a drink brought to you on board look at the line under the first sign line,this is where you put a $ amount and sign again to tip the staff.:)

Den

That line is there regardless of whether you get brought the drink or go to the bar and get it yourself. Tipping is not enforced, nor expected on P&O Australia. Yes, the fares are reasonable, but they're still more expensive here than a comparable cruise in the U.S. We pay higher fares to cover the fact that there is no tipping onboard. If you wanna tip, that's your choice. But we have never tipped and have never had any problem getting served by the waitstaff. :)

I too have only cruised P&O Australia but one thing I cant believe is that you have never tipped the wait staff for getting you your one or two only drinks per day:eek:

How embaressing to be in a coctail bar before dinner and not sign for a tip:o

No wonder you dont drink much they wont come near you enough to give you any more lol. (joke)

All P&O Cruises are Booze Cruises to the ones who want to booze,there is no special P&O cruises for non boozers or they would go out of business with those low cruise prices they charge!

Den

We have cruised on several lines in addition to P&O Aust. We enjoy a drink or two with dinner but haven't ever gone to the cocktail bar before dinner.

In my opinion, the P&O 7 night cruises are more like a 'booze cruise' than the longer cruises. We prefer longer cruises, preferably 28 night. Our longest time on a ship in one trip was nine weeks last year.

There seems to be lots of discussion stating that the price of drinks is excessive. No one has come up with what is a fair price considering the service, surroundings and the initial cost of the cruise. Tipping is now not expected on P&O and Princess out of Australia. It is interesting to look at some of the overseas boards and observe the discussions regarding alcohol where tipping is a way of life.

Everyone seems to have missed one point it is not a "tip" when it is automatically added to your bill...it is a wage subsidy. On the US based ships like Princess it is 15%. A tip is something that you voluntarily give in recognition of service above and beyond what you would normally expect.

I think you have to compare the drink prices to those you would pay at a resort or tourist hotel and the prices are comparable..heck I paid $17 AUD for one drink in Bali which has a very low wage structure..because I was in an upper class hotel to watch the sunset. At least at sea the sunsets free.

User pays is fine and often ships do have daily specials if you have to watch your budget.

Everyone seems to have missed one point it is not a "tip" when it is automatically added to your bill...it is a wage subsidy. On the US based ships like Princess it is 15%. A tip is something that you voluntarily give in recognition of service above and beyond what you would normally expect.

I think you have to compare the drink prices to those you would pay at a resort or tourist hotel and the prices are comparable..heck I paid $17 AUD for one drink in Bali which has a very low wage structure..because I was in an upper class hotel to watch the sunset. At least at sea the sunsets free.

User pays is fine and often ships do have daily specials if you have to watch your budget.

I feel a bit obliged to add a tip when I am being brought my drinks from a wait person, usually on Lido deck and also when i have a pre dinner cocktail made (not the slosh you get on deck bars) its just me! I know you dont have to tip but the more you drink the more you tip:eek: If We didnt smuggle booze onboard my bill would make the difference between a reasonable holiday to an expensive one.

I go to Bali at least 4 times a year and still dont get why somebody would buy a drink and meal that is more than 20 times the normal price and more than the waiters 3 month income? but I do tip to the person that matters,the person doing the work and getting paid the least Bali or a cruise.

Drink prices on a cruise even with only the odd tips can work out quite expensive for those who like a drink while on holiday,for those who dont really drink or only have an occasional drink its cheap!

The low or non drinkers are always the ones to say Hoorah P&O your drinks prices are so reasonable and keeping the Riff Raff in check.

Perth was voted the second most expensive place in the world to buy beer under Hong Kong,I live in Perth City and P&O beer prices are comparable to Perth so they must be expensive, infarct on par second with Perth so second most expensive in the world with the added profit of tax free!

Den

There seems to be lots of discussion stating that the price of drinks is excessive. No one has come up with what is a fair price considering the service, surroundings and the initial cost of the cruise. Tipping is now not expected on P&O and Princess out of Australia. It is interesting to look at some of the overseas boards and observe the discussions regarding alcohol where tipping is a way of life.

sence they dont pay tax and they would be buying at whole sale prices.

even if they were paying barn prices ( at Dans) 30 can box of beer for around $45 and they sale it on the ship for $165 great mark up plus they do not pay tax and they would be buying cheaper then $45, I would say it would be fair to put a price at $3 per can of beer and they would stll be making 100 % make up.

• 1 month later...

The easiest way not to get caught and avoid getting pananoid is not to break the rules and not attempt to "smuggle" alcohol on board. Surely you cannot drink enough to make that much of a difference when you take into consideration the cost of mixers that have to be purchased at around $3.50 a glass. Play by the rules and not have to watch over your shoulder or drink in your cabin all cruise. Remember there a cctv cameras everwhere watching all.

Archived