reassurance required for Independence of Seas

Dear All. I hope you can set my mind at rest. DH and I are about to embark on the Indy next week. We are usually Celebrity or Princess cruisers but due to health issues we cannot fly to the carribean as normal so to celebrate DHs 60th we booked IOS out of Southampton. A first for us. As we are both very much looking forward to it I could not wait to read the review posted today about the Indy cruise taken recently by a Cruise Critic member. This review told stories of the ship being overcrowded, people moaning endlessly at the lifts because they were too lazy to go up the stairs,being run over by mobility scooters and most of the passengers consuming vast quantities of cake and chips at all times of day and gorging themselves so much it left the reviewer feeling sick to see them, and the food being of low quality to cater for the British taste requirements.

DH and I,whilst being fit enough to cruise are both quite vulnerable and I am now worried that we will not be able to enjoy the cruise due to extreme overcrowding, with large crowds of people pushing us out of the way and being rude and impatient if they have to wait behind us who are slow but steady walkers and being villified if we use the lifts for one floor (I have emphysema and pulmonary fibrosis , and although I look okay I cannot climb stairs very easily, so use the lifts for comfort). I am also concerned that the food will be all chips and not good qualityand we will hate that too!DH says I am worrying to much and we will have a great time, but really the review has worried me a great deal. I am sure I am perceiving the reviewers remarks wrongly, so please could someone put my mind at rest so that I can relax . Thank you

You read a review that you shouldn't have! The ships are designed for max. number of passengers....sure...at times, there is crowding, such as when the shows let out, or at a tender port....that's inevitable!

You will have a wonderful time. The food is more than adequate...just don't expect 4-star dining, and you'll be fine! There are many options, menu-wise. There are plenty of places for you to go on the ship where few passengers congregate.

You happened to read a review from a "nit-picker"...and ANYTHING you read should be taken with a grain of salt!

Please...put your mind at rest and go on vacation with the intention of a grand time. It will happen!!!

i was also on the cruise last week and yes it did feel a little crowded but not so much it upset me just think a little different to the normal behaviour of people and it will be fine.

i.e If you havn't booked an organised on shore trip just get up a bit later and have a later breakfast and let the crowds go (people always panic to get somewhere first in case they miss something) we are only talking about an hour there is always enough time to explore on shore plus you get a quieter restaurant for breakfast

on portdays when returning to ship as you board people always take first set of lifts forming queues but if you carry on past these there is another set of lifts that people seem to forget it certainly worked for us.

When the theatre show has finished just stay in your seat and let the masses go it only takes 10 minutes.

I believe it only felt a bit more crowded because people could not get up on the open top decks for a couple of days due to the colder climate so forcing them down indoors.

Just relax and don't panic its not worth it we really enjoyed our cruise

As you know we are on with you next week see you at the m&m,

I have read that review I don't think they liked it...! read the reviews above or below that one completely different..in fact nearly all the review I have read are very positive.

My wife use a electric wheelchair and we spend half our lifes waiting for lifts in shopping centres etc etc and they are always full of able bodied people.

Not long now..

Don't worry. Just take a few extra minutes to get everywhere! There is always a quiet spot somewhere, we found the Olive or Twist lounge the quietest and spent some evenings in the card/games lounge. The busiest areas were the royal promenade - Dog and Bagder, wine bar etc.

There's a perfect spot for everyone - just take the time to find yours.

Oh......we never had a single chip in 14 nights, far better options are available

You read a review that you shouldn't have! The ships are designed for max. number of passengers....sure...at times, there is crowding, such as when the shows let out, or at a tender port....that's inevitable!

You will have a wonderful time. The food is more than adequate...just don't expect 4-star dining, and you'll be fine! There are many options, menu-wise. There are plenty of places for you to go on the ship where few passengers congregate.

You happened to read a review from a "nit-picker"...and ANYTHING you read should be taken with a grain of salt!

Please...put your mind at rest and go on vacation with the intention of a grand time. It will happen!!!

100% agree there is always one moaner, one bad review out of 3500 passengers who sailed isnt worth worrying about

Thank you for helping to reassure me. I realise now that I allowed one review to worry me way too much, (especially as reading another review of his, as per link it seems the reviewer likes a good moan) and with your good advice and happy wishes we will embark next Thursday with a smile on our faces and happy hearts. Thank you again and looking forward to seeing my fellow passengers on board. :D

I've been on Freedom class ships 3 times and never noticed any excessive crowding or elevator wait times that some people moan and groan about.

It's our favorite class of ships. Go and enjoy yourself, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Archived