Buying the real thing?

CruzerKat

How do you know if your really buying a true made in Alaska item?

I have heard that some places put stickers on them but that these could be false also.

I am going to Alsaka for the first time and would love something authentic.

Can you also reccomend some good reputable stores?

I will be visiting the following places:

Ketchican, Skagway, Juneau, Homer, Seward, and Palmer.

I would hate to think I bought something and found out later is was made in China:eek:

Made in Alaska stickers are supposed to be put on things that are actually made there. There was a scandal a few years ago about some stores putting stickers on things that were made in China, etc. Where you shop has a lot to do with what you are looking for. I would stay away from the cruise ships "recommended" stores in the popular ports. Homer is an artist's colony and you can get some great things there. Skagway and Juneau are good for Tlingit and Haida native handicrafts, while Palmer is a good place to buy Athabascan items. I happen to like native beadwork, and have purchased beaded moccosins and gloves. Ivory is always a good choice. Southeast natives do beautiful silver work. I also love Ray Troll fish t-shirts from Ketchikan. Remember though, that made in Alaska handicrafts are always going to be much more expensive than the imported junk that is 90% of what the giftstores stock.

It's really tough to know, partly because an item doesn't have to be completely Alaskan to qualify for the "Made in Alaska" sticker. The only perfect way to know it's genuine is to talk to the artist, and to make sure that (s)he is really from Alaska - many just come up for the summer - and

(s)he is using Alaska products (not gold nuggets from Colorado, for example). The qusetion that separates those is not "do you live here?" (for which the answer is always "yes" because they live here in the summer), but "where do you spend your winters?". A real Alaskan is proud of spending the winters here. Back to your question, though, the list of shops where you can do that is long and changes every year. The further away from the dock you get and the smaller the shop is, the more likely you are to be in the right place.

Murray

Thanks you guys!!

Money is not always an object if you fall in love with it and it is the real "McCoy"

I will use all your suggestions and also look for the smaller, off the beaten path, unique shops in Ports.

One of the reasons I'm visiting Homer is for the "Artist atmosphere" and so I'm looking forward to what I may find there as well.

What about in the Denali and Talknekna area?... we are spending one night in each also.

The majority of these are made in China and other foreign countries. Real ulu

knives are individually made and no 2 look the same. Now saying that, there

is a company in Anchorage that mass produces these and sells them in the gift

shops. Not too bad a deal. Just look at the package to see where it was made.

The "real" ulu knives were/are made from old saw blades, which was the steel that the Eskimos had the most access to. The only shop I know of that makes them that way is Skagway Art Works at the far end of Broadway. Most of the ones made in Alaska are made with cheap steel (Chinese?) and don't hold an edge well. That was one of the things I had in mind when I made the comment about an item not needing to be "all Alaska" to qualify for a "Made in Alaska" sticker. As wolfie said, "...made in Alaska handicrafts are always going to be much more expensive than the imported junk that is 90% of what the giftstores stock."

Murray

I have an ulu and chopping bowl/block set from the "mass produced" company in Anchorage, The Ulu Factory. I really do love it - price was about $40. Since I only use my knife on the cutting board it came with I haven't had any problem with it holding an edge at all. It's definitely had hard use for over 2 years so I already feel I got my money's worth even if it fell apart tomorrow (far from it!). I also have one made from bone which my husband put in the dishwasher... needless to say, I AM very unhappy about that, but what's done is done (sigh). I do hope to pick up a unique ulu on my June trip.

Archived