experience's taking a Yangtze River Cruise?

hsb5956

Victoria River Cruise Line Yangtze River ? I am considering a tour of China that includes a 8 night Yangtze River Cruise using Victoria River Cruises which seems to be the most used by tour operators any experience with Victoria River Cruise Line?

Or experience's in general taking a Yangtze River Cruise?

Might I be over doing the Yangtze experience by taking a 8 night Yangtze River Cruise verses a shorter one? I see a lot of tours include 3 night 4 night and 5 night less include 8 night.

How is the weather and scenery in October?

Smooth sailing & cruising

HSB5956

Firstly October is great month to cruise the Yangtze .

The shortest Yangtze cruise one should take is from Yi Chang to Chong Qing or vice versa. This covers the Three Gorges Dam, the Three Gorges, Lesser Gorges and other sights .

The full Yangtze cruise from Shanghai to Chong Qing or vice versa covers in addition the lower reaches of the river and takes in the majestic Nanking and the not to be missed Yellow Mountain .

So if you can spare the time do the full cruise from Shanghai to Chong Qing or v.v.

We did it on Victoria Prince in October 2009 and it was sensational and very relaxing .

Thanks for the information I think I will probably take the full 8 day Yangtze River Cruise. Your info is most helpful.

I am thinking about taking it in October how was the weather on on the river?

How was the food Victoria?

What condition was the ship in and cabins?

Were the cabin's cold?

I was on the Costa Classica cruise the same date / trip :) Was a outstanding cruise / adventure just to see if nothing else the Cherry Blossoms in bloom is Japan. Wondering if are path's crossed on board ship or on a tour bus together?

COSTA CLASSICA - Hong Kong - Japan - Shanghai - March 2010

After the Costa Classica cruise I spent 5 nights in both Shanghai and Beijing found China fascinating and want to see and experience more. My thinking is doing the river cruise will give me a deserve view of China.

If you go to the following link and view my 2010 Star Clipper sailing adventure Trans Atlantic presentation you will see me near the end in several shots maybe you will recognize me.

http://www.photoshow.com/watch/qt6eW4qi

Smooth Sailing,

Hugh / HSB5956

If you already been to Shanghai, I don't see much point to take the cruise beyond Yi Chang.

You can visit Yellow Mountain and Nanjing by land quite easily. You'll be getting on a bus to Yellow Mountain anyway.

I've not taken a cruise in China. But friends had. They report the accommodation isn't as good as in hotels.

OP: I strongly suggest you research a land/river tour in China with Viking River Cruises. You'll find a zillion people here on CC (including yours truly) who have done one of these trips with Viking and had the most extraordinary time of our lives.

There is a very current thread about these trips called "Viking China 2" in the "Cruise Lines A-O/Other Cruise Lines" forum, as well as a now-closed original thread, "Viking China" in the same forum that also has very useful info and reviews from the past couple of seasons (and even going back years).

The riverboat Viking uses, the Emerald, is pretty nice, the cabins are relatively large and each has a balcony. I thought the food on board was pretty good, too, and the staff were wonderful.

Viking does a first rate fantastic job in China, and you have the option of more than one tour, of varying lengths.

Would love to do the river cruise and land tour on Viking. As a solo traveler I can not touch them $ wise way over my budget for the single supplement even with promotions and discounts> river cruising and single / solo travels is costly unless willing to share a cabin with a stranger did once did not work out well. Currently most of my friend's are not big fans of cruising and or travel with spouses.

Definitively Viking is one of the top ways to do China from a quality and comfert standard. Some day will splurge on taking a Viking River Cruise.

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

Smooth sailing,

HSB5956

Archived