Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Just found this to enhance our knowledge of the adus survey.

story-19894581-detail/story.html#axzz2h2vWFNsN

I also noted in that article that drones were deployed to monitor the Parbuckle.

Ok folks I am off to Zante for a couple of weeks but will check in from time to time WiFi connection in Greece allowing. Hoping to hear that Maria and Russel have been positively identified.

Giglio News updated with this yesterday.

"The bells rang severely slashing the unreal silence while his body was recomposed in the coffin of steel on the East Pier."

It is being reported that the Dockwise Vanguard has been contracted to transport the CC once she is refloated: [uDockwise VanguardRL]http://www.marinelink.com/news/piggybacked-concordia359673.aspx[/url]

That should be very interesting to watch.

Nice find BE. The article said they will make some modifications to the Dockwise Vanguard to accommodate the Costa Concordia, I wonder what those are.

Nice find BE. The article said they will make some modifications to the Dockwise Vanguard to accommodate the Costa Concordia, I wonder what those are.

I was on their website and in the description of the Dockwise Vanguard it said those 3 towers on the deck other than the tower containing the living quarters and bridge are movable. They may have to reposition them to allow the CC with the sponsons to fit between them.

A fascinating vessel. Pretty new, launched in Oct 2012.

We discussed it in May/June 2013 on this thread, I'll quote some bits for easy reference:

Deck length of the Dockwise Vanguard is 275 m, CC overall length is 290 m. Just 15 m overhanging sounds ok. Max width of the Dockwise Vanguard can take is 65 m, CC itself is 35 m. This should leave enough space for the caissons.

Capabilities of the Dockwise Vanguard in this video:

Shows also nicely how blocks on deck are moveable.

Now you see it:

vanguard-3d-3.jpg

now you don't:

vanguard-3d-2.jpg

And here you can build your own Dockwise, with your children, to compensate for the many hours you've spent at the screen reading up about CC (with the side effect of some n´bownie points from your wives or OSH's - other significant halves:

http://modelbus-sailormoon.webs.com/apps/blog/show/19304276-dockwise-vanguard

It just dawned on me that since they are using the Dockwise to move the CC, then they don't need to work so hard to attach the Starboard side sponsons. Those will just need to work long enough to get the CC up where they can run under it with the Dockwise! Why can't they move it sooner? I guess the search and the weather are the factors...

Edited by SailingMainiac999

Why can't they move it sooner? I guess the search and the weather are the factors...

Heavy lift ships are contracted many months to years in advance, cradles will have to be built on the vanguard to hold the wreck, and it still must be made sound enough to avoid damage to vanguard.

The owners and insurers would much prefer dismantling the wreck in a less expensive location, especially considering the Italians are treating the insurers and carnival as a piggy bank and jobs program.

With dockwise involved, I suspect turkey or another low labor rate location may be the intended destination.

It just dawned on me that since they are using the Dockwise to move the CC, then they don't need to work so hard to attach the Starboard side sponsons. Those will just need to work long enough to get the CC up where they can run under it with the Dockwise! Why can't they move it sooner? I guess the search and the weather are the factors...

I think they will still need the sponsons. The ship has to be at least semi-floating in order for the Dockwise ship to get underneath it. As it sits now on the grout bags and platform, there is no way that the Dockwise ship could get fully underneath it.

Thanks for the articles. The stabilization on the CC is what I wondered about as well, especially since the ship sits broadside to the winter waves while resting on the platform.

The ship must be refloated regardless of the method used for taking it away. The starboard sponsons are needed anyway and must be firmly attached. However if the ship is piggybacked then the sponsons only need to be strongly attached to lift the ship, not to stand the forces of sailing in open waters. They still have to refloat and move the Concordia away into deeper water for the Vanguard ship to be able to sink enough in the water to allow the Concordia to be towed into position.

Here is the semi-official animation explanation of how the hulk will be loaded. Yes, the sponsons will have to be properly in place.

http://gcaptain.com/video-animation-shows-costa-concordia-float-on-dockwise-vanguard/

I found this website courtesy of my father's cousin.

I have been away for some time account a series of personal issues. I will be back from time to tim.

DocF, thanks for the link.

Watching it I get the impression that the sponsons are going to be different from what it on the other side. I realize this is early stages but it seems like they are somewhat going to work around the caved in areas with setting the sponsons.

Matt, I haven't seen any new pix from the interior.

Has there been any further info on the remains found beneath the ship itself ?

And now there's another report from Giglio News that the remains thought to be Russel may actually be Maria.

"Might be a woman, and not of the Indian Russel Rebello, as speculated after the discovery, the remains found in the Costa Concordia two days ago. It is learned from investigating sources. The corpse had parts of bras and women's shoes for jogging shoes exchanged due to a long stay in water. These women's clothing on the corpse, found 3 of the bridge wreckage, investigators are to assume that it is a woman, not a man. As a result, the new hypothesis is that the corpse belongs to Italian Maria Grazia Tricarichi passenger. Meanwhile, continuing the findings of the court expert, a doctor of State police, to give an identity to the body through Dna examination."