Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Strangely my next question was to be. Are the towers now redundant and if so how soon do you think they will be removed to allow the barges etc closer access to the starboard side. I presume at the moment Pioneer is staying where she was because they want to clear the sea bed of what fell off during PB and also to look for evidence of Maria and Russel's remains.

I don't think I have seen any of the cranes moving since PB are they all taking a breather.

Strangely my next question was to be. Are the towers now redundant and if so how soon do you think they will be removed to allow the barges etc closer access to the starboard side. I presume at the moment Pioneer is staying where she was because they want to clear the sea bed of what fell off during PB and also to look for evidence of Maria and Russel's remains.

I don't think I have seen any of the cranes moving since PB are they all taking a breather.

The towers have served their purpose but I would hate to hazard a guess on when they will remove them. They may leave them with the chains attached untill the last moment as a safety measure.

This may have been posted before but here is a good article on Nick Sloane. It makes reference to the salvage crew being prohibited from entering the staterooms (and hence not being able to remove any personal effects): http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/13/world/costa-concordia-nick-sloane/index.html

Edited by Bearded Engineer

On a lighter note, I see the ROC is still in its position from the PB. Do we think they are still looking for someone sober enough to move it?

It is probably a good thing that the ship has been turned over to the authorities to search for the missing persons. We would not want the salvage workers to spoil their excellent safety record;)

Hi SB

Since I wrote that a few hours ago I discovered that it was our old friend Sidari that I had read who spoke about the lifeboat.

I'm sure that after the workload of the last few months all the salvagers and welders etc need a break to recharge the batteries especially Nick Sloane and his team, one can only guess at the pressure he and them suffered on Monday and the days and weeks before.

They have the chance now whilst everything settles down and the search team try and find Marie and Russel as well as repatriate passengers personal belongings.The engineers survey the starboard side and design the flotation solution.

One thing I have a question about. The port side lower decks was out of the water for 20 months, why didn't they attempt to clear those cabins of the possessions before the PB put them under water?

In that most of the passenger cabins are still underwater and all of the lower deck crew areas as well, it's no safer now to send divers inth the ship than it was before. The recently raised cabins can be searched now.

If I had to bet, I'd bet that the remains will be found on the stbd boat deck that was inaccessible. I can envision a scenario where the last two went to the downhill boat deck to get out as it was rolling under.

Tonka ... Sadly i had to work on Monday but at least the time lapse videos were available when i got home ... :D

The damage i can only guess has been done over the period of time that the ship has been rubbing up and down the two outcrops of rock or as it slipped further down after its initial resting place hence all the balconies being forced upwards.

Hopefully footage will appear at some stage showing the hull damage.

The towers have served their purpose but I would hate to hazard a guess on when they will remove them. They may leave them with the chains attached untill the last moment as a safety measure.

This may have been posted before but here is a good article on Nick Sloane. It makes reference to the salvage crew being prohibited from entering the staterooms (and hence not being able to remove any personal effects): http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/13/world/costa-concordia-nick-sloane/index.html

I read an article the other day that pointed out some info about Mr Sloane but this one by far gives a better idea about the man. Thanks for sharing.

I had wondered ever since we first saw the port side sponsons why they were spaced the way they are. Just figured it was structural. Then I saw the location of the damage to the starboard side and wondered if it is a coincidence that the gaps in the spacing line up with the damage? Has the plan always been to keep all the sponsons all parallel/lined up? Will that make it easier to attach the starboard sponsons? That is, avoiding the damaged areas??

I think I would like to be Mr Sloanes agent right now. Autobiography, Film deals, Chat shows. The world is his oyster. And he deserves every penny.

:p

I'd like to meet him at a pub and buy him a beer.

Agreed. Course now I wish I had continued on with that sport of hitting a little ball as he seems to like to play. I was into bowling, large ball and it would come back to you. Sometimes with that little ball I just couldn't follow/find it. :rolleyes:

He would be interesting to talk to after reading the list of projects he has worked on. Course he would likely not want to spend his time talking about only that.

I liked how the Mayor said they would be likely to name a street after him.

I have some reservations about bringing this up but I noticed a certian person who claimed that the parbukling would never work has changed his tune and now says that because of damage done by the parbuckling, the ship can never be refloated. Once a wingnut, always a wingnut.

Funny you should mention that...:rolleyes:...I was just thinking about the wingnut. I was curious as to what the new tune might be - I figured it would be the cost. Happily he has gone away from here!

I have some reservations about bringing this up but I noticed a certian person who claimed that the parbukling would never work has changed his tune and now says that because of damage done by the parbuckling, the ship can never be refloated. Once a wingnut, always a wingnut.

There have been some memorable "expert" comments over the months here. One guy suggested Concordia would probably end up transporting cows!

Another said what a long difficult job it would be to remove the funnel. Next day it had disappeared.

I have watched this story develop as it happened on these boards, and there is more to see and learn.

And may they recover the missing before the next half of the story starts.

David.

I definitely thought about him, but was afraid to even go to the website. :eek:

I am a little curious, but I'm actually afraid to go to that site...he might pop back up here.:eek:

I just had to go look. After all the effort he put into his pseudo science proving that the parbuckling could never work I wanted to see what spin he put on it. If he returns, I whole heartedly apologize. I did throw salt over my shoulder and spit three times before I made my post ;)

Some parts maybe reused on other vessels. Some mechanical equipment match's other of the Italian yard build vessels' date=' including the Carnival Splendor. Anchor chains, anchors, and others thing will be reused.[/quote']

There are quite a few vessels that could in theory use parts recovered from Costa Concordia. All Carnival vessels (except for Spirit Class) built since Carnival Destiny (1996) share the same basic hull and superstructure design as do all the newer Costa ships. They were all built by Fincantieri which means that some Princess ships could also use some of these parts. However, will they actually want to do that? Perhaps big ticket heavy items such as engine blocks, anchors o propellers could be recovered and restored back to usable condition.

And speaking of Carnival ships, this is a picture I took aboard Carnival Magic (a Dream Class ship bigger than Costa Concordia but with similar design) from the port side deck 5 Lanai looking forward. This is just to illustrate the design of the balconies and to show they are not very strong because they don't need to be too strong. And also see that the partitions are exactly the same as in CC. The balconies are likely exactly the same as well. I have more pictures but I cannot tell from them if the superstructure is steel or aluminum. It was brand new at the time so no rusty spots yet.

IMG_1378Custom.jpg

Edited to add the picture from an external site so that it is bigger. How do I remove the attachment?

1243601922_IMG_1378(Custom).jpg.d751290939c60aa8c7872ce1ce2c5eb7.jpg

Edited by luisrp