Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Thanks Ken, I had missed that.

I do notice a cable, which I presume is what the progress report describes as a retaining line.

I haven't noticed any reports yet of personal belongings being returned to survivors.

I guess this thread will be fairly quiet until Spring when work will pick up again.

May I take this opportunity to thank everyone who has contributed and viewed this thread and to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Best Wishes

Clive

Does anyone know what they are using the Tower crane for ?

From the weekly report, they were adding sand around the hull, and restraining the grout bags, and such like. I think the grounded hull of the Concordia will provide a more stable platform for winterizing work than the floating cranes. It could also be used to remove furnishings in areas that might wash out of the ship.

Someone asked about retrieving valuables and personal belongings. I don't think that will happen to any cabin below the water until Spring when they float the ship. They may enter the upper cabins, but I don't think they will risk the divers or the expense for the flooded cabins.

I do recall reading about a month ago that a judge in the case had said if the ship was deemed safe, items could start to be removed from the safes. (I was dealing with the loss of my mom around the time I read that so I wasn't totally focused.) I took that to mean that it would be from the rooms that were not underwater. Haven't read anything further that indicates that project was started.

I can't recall if that was prior to or after the Captain asked for another investigation. I would think if it was ruled before the Captain's request, it may have delayed the start of that process.

Looking at the deck plans, more than half of the cabins are above water now. Decks 7 and 8 are entirely guest cabins and about one third of decks 9 and 10 are also guest cabins plus a buch in deck 11. Deck 6 is partially submerged. Only cabins in decks 1 and 2 are fully underwater. Perhaps they might start the process or recovering belongings before the refloat.

In the progress reports after the parbuckle there was this task.

5.2.3 Allow authorities to access the wreck from the SB side Tue 9/17/13 Tue 10/22/13 5 wks

I always thought that this would be the time to recover what possessions they could.

That was very likely the time they allowed for authorities to go back and look for the remains of the two missing people. It was during that period when the remains of the Italian passenger were found and other remains not yet identified (no news after that) were recovered.

man alot of care for a ship thats gonna get broken up. wonder if refurbishment is still on their minds.

IMO, It would be less expensive to have a new build than to rip out and replace all the electrical wiring, as well as everything else that was damaged by salt water.

man alot of care for a ship thats gonna get broken up. wonder if refurbishment is still on their minds.

Not a chance. All of this fire prevention stuff is just to keep the possible environmental damage to a minimum. The small island of Giglio would be hard pressed to fight a fire onboard, which could be caused by lightning, or cutting and welding, or various causes during this winter.

Commander DeFlaco was on the witness stand on Monday. No real surprises in what he had to say. Matter of fact none of the 3 articles I saw on the testimony really had a lot to say. Most did mention that Schettino did not look at the Commander.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/costa-concordia-captain-39-fled-packed-ship-39-202116808.html#09bXC9O

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]According to a short article in Yachting & Boating World (dated today) the new investigation has not even started yet.

"Codacons said that the new examination aims to establish "an accurate and scientific reconstruction of the helmsman's error".

Former captain Francesco Schettino has said the ship's helmsman is to blame for the wreck as his orders were not properly followed.

Officials will hold a hearing on January 9th to establish when the wreck can be examined."
Read more at [url]http://www.ybw.com/news/motorboats/535754/italian-court-grants-new-examination-of-costa-concordia-shipwreck#QlJsWS8uAuLwcGvi.99[/url] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='SomeBeach'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]According to a short article in Yachting & Boating World (dated today) the new investigation has not even started yet.

"Codacons said that the new examination aims to establish "an accurate and scientific reconstruction of the helmsman's error".

Former captain Francesco Schettino has said the ship's helmsman is to blame for the wreck as his orders were not properly followed.

Officials will hold a hearing on January 9th to establish when the wreck can be examined."
Read more at [url]http://www.ybw.com/news/motorboats/535754/italian-court-grants-new-examination-of-costa-concordia-shipwreck#QlJsWS8uAuLwcGvi.99[/url] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Again, going by a news article that quotes someone else, I find it interesting that Codacons thinks the emergency generator may have been " a possible or secondary cause of the incident". Maybe there is a different legal interpretation of "cause" than what I'm aware of, but how could the failure of the emergency generator have been even a secondary cause of the incident when it did not even start until the main generators went off-line due to the ship striking the rocks? Now, it could be claimed to be a contributing factor in the loss of life, but a cause of the incident? As stated by the Italian investigation, with 4 adjacent compartments breached, there was no hope, even with the emergency generator running and the bilge pumps running, that the ship would have stayed afloat.

And I thought there were simulations done on the track of the vessel, and the Italian report ran simulations to determine whether or not the helm errors were contributory. But, then again, the defense is allowed to get their own experts.

[quote name='chengkp75']Again, going by a news article that quotes someone else, I find it interesting that Codacons thinks the emergency generator may have been " a possible or secondary cause of the incident". Maybe there is a different legal interpretation of "cause" than what I'm aware of, but how could the failure of the emergency generator have been even a secondary cause of the incident when it did not even start until the main generators went off-line due to the ship striking the rocks? Now, it could be claimed to be a contributing factor in the loss of life, but a cause of the incident? As stated by the Italian investigation, with 4 adjacent compartments breached, there was no hope, even with the emergency generator running and the bilge pumps running, that the ship would have stayed afloat.

And I thought there were simulations done on the track of the vessel, and the Italian report ran simulations to determine whether or not the helm errors were contributory. But, then again, the defense is allowed to get their own experts.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]Not sure exactly how Italian law works but my guess would be Schettino is looking to establish "reasonable doubt." He has repeatedly stated that had the helmsman followed his order that the ship would not had hit the rock at all.
I believe the investigators that claim at the point of his orders it made no difference. Some years ago I had an opportunity to spend the day at a Simulation Training And Research Center (STAR) in the Ft Lauderdale area. While there I had command of the Freedom of the Seas in simulation. Following the instructors orders I maneuvered the ship in and out of different ports. I remembered it being explained to me that one must pay attention to the course set and the speed because the ship does not turn on a dime, so to speak. It was a most interesting experience and gave me a greater understanding as to everything involved in commanding a ship.
BTW, for a newbie at that job I did pretty good according to the instructor. Coming out of San Juan I did scrape a rock, enough to take a coat of paint off the ship ;) but not put a gash in it. All my other ports, I was right on course.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[IMG]http://www.giglionews.it/images/stories/allegati/concordia_dal_traghetto121113.jpg[/IMG]

Giglio News report:

[QUOTE]The point of the Observatory - "We are still in a phase of anticipation that speaks of Spring as a possible period for commencement of work of removing the vessel from Giglio and in a phase of design verification while work continues construction of caissons that occurs on sites outside from Giglio. remains a high attention to environmental issues and to verify the possible risks related to the phase of rigalleggiamento. " The said Mary Sargentini, president of the Observatory of removal on the Costa Concordia meeting this afternoon, the population of Isola del Giglio. "How observatory we asked Costa Crociere to have an overview of the activities until after parbuckling rigalleggiamento also including activity design, as well as monitoring activities and construction and installation of caissons. We asked to have the picture of the phases of work for verification and to always have updated the progress of the work. " "What after parbuckling not was a dead time because many activities are carried out even if not directly in the yard in other places like Genoa and Livorno, where the boxes are being prepared for the starboard side of the ship. " "The ship - said the president of the Observatory for Monday, December 16 convened a working meeting in Florence - is stable. As to the timing prudently expect to have the results of the audits in progress and a more accurate picture of the different activities" Ship via a trailer? - "We are studying the possible options for the transport of the wreck. ship could go away in the trailer and get to a meeting to be arranged with the Vanguard or always in tow, go directly to a nearby port able to accept it." He said Franco Porcellacchia, project manager of removal of Concordia, Costa Cruises on behalf of always meeting today with the citizens of Isola del Giglio. Safes Recovered 405 - "On board the Concordia - added Porcellacchia - we have recovered the safes in cabins located on the side emerged. 405 We have taken, in agreement with the competent authorities. Now will be opened, inventoried and their contents returned to its rightful owners. "
[/QUOTE]

Just saw this on the Giglio News site.

Retrieve 405 safes- "Aboard the Concordia-added Porcellacchia-we recovered the safes in the booths on the side emerged. We picked up 405, in agreement with the competent authorities. Will now open, their contents catalogued and returned to the rightful owners. "

Hopefully the survivors will be getting some of their belongings back.

I have just noted that this is the 2000th comment on this thread, thanks everyone

No news is good news? Is Schettino's trial over? Are the Italian courts on vacation again?
I always come here for the Concordia/ Schettino news but it's been cold turkey around here for quite awhile.
What have I missed that I don't know why there is no more info or news?

Just stumbled accross this animation of the Costa Concordia events starting from the departure at Civitavecchia.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhwW6FlL9ow[/url]

It says the captain used the bow thrusters to steer the ship closer to shore. I am not sure this is accurate because I don't think backup generators have enough juice top power the thrusters.