Island Princess Air Conditioning

bigguy6

A review that just appeared on this site of the Island Princess indicated that the reviewer felt that the air conditioning in his cabin was inadeqate even when turned all the way up. He indicated that others on board were also complaining about this. Could anyone who was on the Island Princess during the current Panama Canal season comment on your experience with regard to this issue.

I was on the Island from Jan 8-18 to Panama. If you are one of those people who keep their home meat-locker cold, there are times when the cabin might not be as cool as you'd like, especially when the ship is in port. My husband is one of those people. I thought the temperature was fine. Having sailed Princess more than a dozen times, I think that is true of every Caribbean sailing I've ever been on. Yeah, sometimes at mid day when the ship is not moving, it's not as cool in the cabin as other times.

A review that just appeared on this site of the Island Princess indicated that the reviewer felt that the air conditioning in his cabin was inadeqate even when turned all the way up. He indicated that others on board were also complaining about this. Could anyone who was on the Island Princess during the current Panama Canal season comment on your experience with regard to this issue.

I found the a/c on the Island to be just fine. I tend to like to be on the cool side. Sometimes people leave their balcony doors open and it diminishes the cool air felt in other rooms.

So many things can affect cabin temperatures and A/C efficiency. If its very hot out and the sun is on that side of the ship, it'll be warmer. If someone in a cabin near yours has the balcony door open, that'll affect the A/C in yours. Some people are too warm at 68-degrees, others are comfortable at temperatures as warm as 78-degrees.

I always take the "too hot" or "too cold" complaints with a grain of salt because one person's too hot can be another's too cold. Yes, thermostats can go bad but if they are checked and working properly, then it could be weather-related or personal preference affecting one's comfort.

I feared taking a Panama cruise for years because of past experience with ship AC. Last April-May we did a full transit on the Island and it was just fine. We also travel with small a small four inch and six inch fan as well. Our room was an 'Arctic Oasis" for the entire cruise. We were in a mini mid ship.

We had one day where we had an issue, Cartagena. But the day was hot as heck and it so happened that the sun was baking our cabin all morning and a good bit of the afternoon.

Other than that I can't think of any significant issues (day 1 took a little while to cool down, but with all the movement and open cargo doors that doesn't surprise me at all)

Archived