**Has anyone ever ordered the birthday cake from RCCL?

DD is turning 13 on our April '06 cruise :eek: and I ordered a birthday cake through the gifts section of RCCL's website.

It was only $7.95. What's it like?

Thanks

Kim

We did not but our table mates did on the Grandeur, the waiters sang Happy Birthday. The cake she ordered was death by chocolate, it was choclate cake with chocolate icing, very rich!

didn't it used to be free. Oh well 8 bucks isnt that bad.

I think this is different from the one that used to be free. However they no longer bring you a free cake in the dining room for special occasions. They got rid of this a year or so ago because too many people abused it. People told the waiters they had birthday or anniversary or whatever although nothing of this was true just to get the free cake. Of course the waiters brought it and of course they knew that it was for no reason. I remember one cruise when some of my tablemates made a joke of it and tried to order it for a non existing birthday of one of us. The waiter knew it exactly and made it a joke himself and he wrote on the cake Happy no event to ......

They also came to the table and sang "Happy no event to you". It was quite funny. However I can see that such things made RCCL to eliminate it.

My observation is that since this was done there is much less singing in the Dining Room every evening.

I think this is different from the one that used to be free. However they no longer bring you a free cake in the dining room for special occasions. They got rid of this a year or so ago because too many people abused it. People told the waiters they had birthday or anniversary or whatever although nothing of this was true just to get the free cake. Of course the waiters brought it and of course they knew that it was for no reason. I remember one cruise when some of my tablemates made a joke of it and tried to order it for a non existing birthday of one of us. The waiter knew it exactly and made it a joke himself and he wrote on the cake Happy no event to ......

They also came to the table and sang "Happy no event to you". It was quite funny. However I can see that such things made RCCL to eliminate it.

My observation is that since this was done there is much less singing in the Dining Room every evening.

You are right. I think the biggest plus to this is the much less singing.

we have had both the chocolate one and the vanilla. Now I love chocolate but that cake was just too rich, but good. I like the vanilla cake better. It's well worth the $8 whichever cake you choose. I believe it will serve 6.

The cake is definitely different and a lot better than the cake they used to give you for free. We also had the decorations for my nieces 16th birthday and she was thrilled. They were a big hit.

Archived