Jan 15 -22 Mariner of the Seas Review -

It was lunch time, so we went to the Half moon bay restaurant for some lobster skewers. I read about this place on the Roatan link under CC PORTS OF CALL. The restaurant overlooks the bay – and is a great place for lunch. $25 gets you a lobster skewer and an ice cold beer.

Half Moon Bay Resteraunt, Roatan Honduras - you can get a 360' view

http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=f0f7861b-9597-4e95-be6d-34f583f9b147

After we finished lunch, we decided to go snorkeling right off the beach next to the restaurant. There is a rest room to change in, and we were ready to go. We rented gear, right next to the restaurant, and off we went. There is a nice reef right in the bay.

Snorkeling in Half moon Bay

100_0134.jpg

That's the restaurant behind Russ.

100_0084.jpg

100_0132.jpg

a Needle fish - yes it swims vertically!

100_0143.jpg

100_0116.jpg

100_0102.jpg

While we were snorkeling, the girls were lounging in the sun on the beach. Bring your own towels! We snorkeled until 3:30, then decided to head back to the ship.

Day 4 Menu

Appetizers

Roasted Butternut Squash and White Bean Salad

Crab Cake

Bresaola Carpaccio

New England Clam Chowder

Harira Soup

Green Gazpacho

Caesar Salad

Focaccia and Tomato Salad

Entrees

Beef Stroganoff

Conchiglioni Pasta

Pan-Seared Sole Fillets

Shrimp Gyoza

Slow-Roasted Double-Cut Pork Loin

Vegetable Vindaloo

Desserts

Berrymisu

Orange Chocolate Parfait

Sky High Lemon Meringue Tart

Low-Fat Cranberry Yogurt

Sugar-Free Coconut Custard Slice

We looked at the menu after breakfast, and decided that this was a good night to try out Chops Steakhouse. We made reservations for 6:30, and – it was fabulous.

ChopsGrill_Menu1.jpg

Chops desserts

Chocolate Mud Pie (Yummy)

Passionberry Duo

Red Velvet Cake (Todd loved this)

Coconut Creme Brulee

Porto's

Dolci

Tiramisu Ala Portofino

Dolcetti Alla Portofino

Tartufo Al Cioccolato

Wed towel

DSCN5265.jpg

Yay!! Thank you for the review & pictures. I leave on this itinerary on Sunday, and I can't wait!!

Can you tell me what pier Mariner docked at in Cozumel? Thanks!!!!

We docked at the international pier - right next to the Allure. have a great time - we loved all 3 ports so much we are going to book the same cruise next year.

We docked at the international pier - right next to the Allure. have a great time - we loved all 3 ports so much we are going to book the same cruise next year.

Thank you so much! I was trying to figure out where we had to go to meet up with the tour we have planned, so that helps a lot!

I love Belize and Cozumel, but I've never been to Roatan, so I'm really looking forward to my first visit there.

I love Belize and Cozumel, but I've never been to Roatan, so I'm really looking forward to my first visit there.

Read through the posts on the Roatan port of call page - there is a ton of good advice. We really enjoyed Victor Bodden Tours - our tour guide, Larsen, was from the island, so he knew every good spot to go.

Terry: we were supposed to do that tour in Belize but the weather was so bad we had to cancel...rain and high winds and most of the Caye excursions are so close to sea level we were afraid the waves would mess it up. Did you enjoy the shark ray alley? We want to go again and this time, we're going no matter what. Also Goff's Caye.

Roatan = Victor Bodden tour

Belize - Shark ray alley snorkeling through coral breeze tours

Cozumel - swimming with Dolphins

I'll post more pics tonight

thanks for the pics,,we also booked with victor bodden,

the monkeys you saw was it where you pay 5$ ? as an extra on the tour?

we are planning to drive around, see the monkeys, eat and maybe swim,

Terry: we were supposed to do that tour in Belize but the weather was so bad we had to cancel...rain and high winds and most of the Caye excursions are so close to sea level we were afraid the waves would mess it up. Did you enjoy the shark ray alley? We want to go again and this time, we're going no matter what. Also Goff's Caye.

Yes - Shark Ray alley was a lot of fun. It was the 2nd part of the tour, and we only stayed for 30 minutes. We snorkeled over the reef for a good 45 minutes. One hint if you are taking pictures at Shark Ray Alley - see which way the current is moving and move towards the current - away from the boat. A lot of sand gets kicked up by the the snorkelers by the boat. If you move off by yourself - stay up-current from them - your pics will be nice and clear.

We liked Caye Caulker so much that we are going back to belize this November for my 50th Bday, and we just booked this cruise again for next year.

the monkeys you saw was it where you pay 5$ ? as an extra on the tour?

we are planning to drive around, see the monkeys, eat and maybe swim,

Look on their web site -it has each tour labeled with a price. If you just do the monkeys - I believe it's $5 (plus tip for your guide).

If you zip line - the monkeys are free (except for the tip!).

As most of these tours go, everybody wants a tip! Our driver was great - request Larson if you can. we had a fantastic day - and we tipped him $20.

Look on their web site -it has each tour labeled with a price. If you just do the monkeys - I believe it's $5 (plus tip for your guide).

If you zip line - the monkeys are free (except for the tip!).

As most of these tours go, everybody wants a tip! Our driver was great - request Larson if you can. we had a fantastic day - and we tipped him $20.

did you do the private tour? i see there are a few tour options..

we got Laura for our guide

I positioned the camera on our balcony, set it up for 1 photo every 8 seconds, then left if for an hour. Here is our departure – reduced down to 17 seconds!

We went to see the ice show, and it was incredible. Definitely see this show. I have no idea how they can do that show on such a small rink, while the ship is moving. We finished the evening singing along with Phil Anderson in the Schooner Bar – which was becoming my favorite late night hangout.

IMG_3581.jpg

Day 5 Belize

This morning I awoke to a beautiful light blue sea. We were in the shallows off Belize. Instead of the usual wake behind the ship, there was a trail of mud. The water is so shallow here that the ship stirs up the sand and mud on the bottom as it moves towards its anchor spot. Here is another time lapse video of the morning tender boats coming and going.

Today we are going to go snorkeling off of Caye Caulker, about 20 miles away from the port. We were going to go on the Bannister Island RCL tour, but they have an age limit, and my 71 yr old father was not eligible to go. So we booked our tour for less money with Coral breeze tours.

IMG_0070.jpg

We waited in line for a tender, and got ashore at about 9:30. We wandered around the port shops until our tour was ready to leave at 10. We boarded out vessel, “Great White”, and off we went for our 40 minute ride across crystal clear waters that were no more than 10 feet deep the whole way. What a magnificent way to start the morning.

Boat ride out to Caye Caulker

100_0164.jpg

We arrived at Caye Calker Island, dropped off those who were not going snorkeling, and away we went. Our first stop is at the Hol Chan Marine reserve, about 4 miles off the island.

Here is a video of our snorkel trip

http://youtu.be/ErrOlz2BzJg

The water depth varies from 20 feet deep up to just 1-1/2 feet deep. We saw a ton of fish, and some great coral, and even a Moray eel.

100_0256.jpg

100_0201.jpg

That's a small Grouper and a few Yellow Tailed Snapper.

100_0203.jpg

Picture18.png

Great review and fabulous pix! What kind of camera did you use for the underwater photos?

BTW we were on the previous cruise Jan. 8-15 - hardly any kids on this one either as elementary and high schools in Texas are back in session by this date; we did have some college kids but not many.

After about 45 minutes of snorkeling, we got back in the boat and moved over to Shark Ray Alley, which is only about 5 minutes from where we were snorkeling. It is only about 3-4 feet deep, and full of sting rays and Nurse Sharks.

100_0261.jpg

Nurse Shark

Picture7.png

100_0251.jpg

100_0250.jpg

Great review and fabulous pix! What kind of camera did you use for the underwater photos?

BTW we were on the previous cruise Jan. 8-15 - hardly any kids on this one either as elementary and high schools in Texas are back in session by this date; we did have some college kids but not many.

I bought a Kodak sport waterproof digital camera ($70), and a Kodak sport waterproof digital video camera ($75) both on Amazon. both are waterproof down to 10', and they worked great. Most of the underwater shots took a lot color correction.

We also had very few kids and very few families on our cruise. We enjoyed it so much that we just booked the 1/13/13 Mariner cruise.

Here is the video of the Shark Ray Alley swim

We piled back in the boat and headed in to Caye Caulker for lunch. After a great meal, and a bucket of ice cold beer (6 beers for 10 backs) it was time to head back to the ship. Heading back to the ship from the port, we ran into the only rain of the week. After a 15 minute shower – the sun was out again.

100_0176.jpg

We had a visitor at lunch!

100_0268.jpg

That's the Mariner in that rain storm!

100_0289.jpg

DSCN5499.jpg

IMG_3676.jpg

IMG_3658.jpg

Day 5 menu

Appetizers

Caprese Salad

Antipasti

Scallop Risotto

Creamy Roasted Garlic Soup

Minestrone

Strawberry Bisque

Caesar Salad

Insalata Mista

Entrees

Lamb Shank with Rosemary

Rigatoni Pasta

Garlic Tiger Shrimp

Chicken Marsala

Eggplant and Roma Tomato Bake

Kaju Paneer Dhansak

Desserts

Warm Chocolate Cake

Raspberry Panna Cotta

Tiramisu

Low-Fat Angel Food Cake

Sugar-Free Chocolate Mint Cake

Tonight was the Quest game – something everyone should see at least once! We were pretty tired after snorkeling all day, so we spent the night out on the balcony finishing out bottle of wine from dinner.

Thurs towel

DSCN5485.jpg

Tomorrow night I'll add Cozumel pics

I bought a Kodak sport waterproof digital camera ($70), and a Kodak sport waterproof digital video camera ($75) both on Amazon. both are waterproof down to 10', and they worked great. Most of the underwater shots took a lot color correction.

We also had very few kids and very few families on our cruise. We enjoyed it so much that we just booked the 1/13/13 Mariner cruise.

T-Bone, fabulous job on the review and pictures. We'll be on the 1/13/2013 Mariner cruise as well. We have a roll call going. Please join us if you haven't already done so. We did this itinerary on the Voyager in 2011, then the Mariner on 1/8/12 with the alternate GC, Falmouth, Cozumel itinerary. I will echo what you and Riofriotex said about the demographics on our January cruise. Hardly any kids. No banging on doors, no hogging the hot tubs, no pressing all the elevator buttons :p:D We too loved our Victor Bodden tour. We had Joani, also for 4 of us and we were able to go and see whatever we wanted at our leisure.

Archived